Gaming Help

enonram

Elite Member
I have a 3, 5, and 13 year old. I was thinking of getting Wii for a "family" gift unless you guys can convince me that some other system would be better.

If I go with the Wii, what games do you guys recommend that are "family friendly." Also, what other controllers etc would I have to buy?

Thanks for your input.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii -GREAT throwback to the video games of old. You won't regret playing this with your family and it's up to four players.

Mario Party 8 -the Mario Party games are great for family and kids. It's also the only one available for Wii.

And because I'm a Wigglytuff, I'll suggest Pokemon Battle Revolution for the kids.

I would go with the Wii. I think Wal-Mart has a special where you can get the system for $199 and get a $50 gift card which effectively lowers the price to $150. This time last year I believe they were selling for $300. The system is easy to understand which makes it fun for the whole family to play. It comes with a variety sports game which is a lot of fun. I believe the system comes with 2 controllers and 1 nun chuck. I would start off by getting a second nun chuck and leave it at that for now. There are other accessories that you can get (steering wheel for racing games, baseball bat, tennis racket, etc.) but those are not necessary to play the games. You can play most of them using the plain old controller and in some cases the nun chuck accessory that plugs into the main controller. There are some other sports games that have several different activities all in one. Those are always good since it gives you several games for one price. Any Mario games are fun and popular as well as guitar hero if someone in your family is into music. Your three year old might have to grow into it a little bit, but even at that age you can have some fun with the Wii more so than the other systems which are more complicated. If you check out some of the discount stores there are plenty of fun Wii games that sell for very little (sometimes $5 or $10) because the Wii has been out for a few years now and those are no longer the new release games.

Mrs. Pav called me at work early this week and said "Honey, go to walmart on your way home, Wii's are only $149! Why don't we just get a Wii instead of Christmas presents" So I got off work at 7:30, got to Walmart at 8am, got behind 26 other people in line, and got one.

(btw, Mrs. Pav rules)

So, what cheap games should I be looking for at Play & Trade/Plan 9?

I found Legends of Rock on Craigslist for under $100, with the accessories, is it worth it?

Will my fat @$$ break the WiiFit?

I'm holding out for the Black Wii not sure when it gets released in the USA but that $150 price aint bad

VCU Finance 2008 said:
I would go with the Wii. I think Wal-Mart has a special where you can get the system for $199 and get a $50 gift card which effectively lowers the price to $150. This time last year I believe they were selling for $300. The system is easy to understand which makes it fun for the whole family to play. It comes with a variety sports game which is a lot of fun. I believe the system comes with 2 controllers and 1 nun chuck. I would start off by getting a second nun chuck and leave it at that for now. There are other accessories that you can get (steering wheel for racing games, baseball bat, tennis racket, etc.) but those are not necessary to play the games. You can play most of them using the plain old controller and in some cases the nun chuck accessory that plugs into the main controller. There are some other sports games that have several different activities all in one. Those are always good since it gives you several games for one price. Any Mario games are fun and popular as well as guitar hero if someone in your family is into music. Your three year old might have to grow into it a little bit, but even at that age you can have some fun with the Wii more so than the other systems which are more complicated. If you check out some of the discount stores there are plenty of fun Wii games that sell for very little (sometimes $5 or $10) because the Wii has been out for a few years now and those are no longer the new release games.

This basically sums it up. Go with the Wii for all of those reasons. You won't regret it and your kids will love it.

With those ages it should be a hit for a while.

It's a great family/kid system, but not to much for the 18+ crowd, but you dont have to worry about that for years.

Thanks for the input guys. Santa is heading to Wal-Mart after work.

ShoeSh1ne said:
It's a great family/kid system, but not to much for the 18+ crowd

I don't know about that. I'm in my late 20s and my friends and I have plenty of fun with it. Have a few beers and the wii bowling or mario party gets pretty competitive. :lol:

As far as Wii games...I honestly think the most fun I've had on there is with that Sports Pack that comes with it (or used to at least). I could play tennis, boxing, and bowling on that thing alllll daaaay...(boxing is a great workout too)

For those ages the Wii is perfect. The Wii Sports that comes with it is a great starter. It comes with one Wiimote and one Nunchuck. You will want to get AT LEAST one more of each, end goal should be owning 4 of each (though it gets pricey quick, I recommend working up to it slowly). The Wiimotes sell for $39.99 at most locations, and the Nunchuck is usually $19.99. If you buy Wii Play, a collection of 9 minigames such as pool and pingpong, for $49.99, it comes with a free Wiimote in the box. So basically it's $10 for 9 mini-games. Not too shabby. I recommend Mario kart. I the classic is even more fun on the Wii. It comes with one wheel that you plug your Wiimote into. The wheel is not required to play the game, but certainly makes it easier/more fun. As sometimes mentioned, and UnitedRam can attest to, it is also a blast for the 20-somethings, so long as you aren't looking for the best/most detailed shooters and RPGs. One game I found interesting was Boom Blox. It is a puzzle based game, multiplayer. I played it with my younger cousins on a family vacation, ages 8 & 11. Players take turns throwing an object (I think it was a yellow ball but I can't remember for sure haha) at a stack of blocks, with various point values, knocking as many blocks off the formation as possible trying to receive the highest point total. It's very simple to learn and gets pretty competitive. My cousins really enjoyed it, and I have to admit, even I had fun playing it. You should be able for find it fairly cheap used as it has been out for a while now. Also, I've heard nothing but positive things about the WiiFit, though I don't know how well it is received by the younger kids. Walmart's deal with the $50 gift card is great. I believe that you have to use it on a different transaction, but you can get them to ring up the system, then use the gift card for additional games, Wiimotes, and/or nunchucks.

wii sports resort! I've had my wii since they first came out and they just came out with this. It comes with the new "wii motion plus" that gives you better movement with the wiimote. I highly recommend this one for the family. 16 different games. Wii play wasn't bad either, another one of those multiple game ones, variety will keep the kids busy.

Back