GEORGE BYRD...VCU....THE SHAQ OF SLAMBALL!!

duncanlamb

Elite Member
While at VCU...He had a knack for being around the ball...He was the guy who did the little things to win...
bone crushing pick...put backs...steals...whenever he was in the game..He made everyone better...Wes Unseld..Bill Russell....He could change a game without scoring a point...any body remember this VCU vs. Xavier game..end of game heriocs!!!! Luv this guy!!!!

I enjoyed watching him beat up on Eric Dampier 7'0 center out of Miss St in the 96 NCAAs' I think George had him sitting on the bench with three fouls halfway through the first half. A key to us almost pulling off that win.

George was friends with Mark Jackson (while he was here). they use to go into Burger King's arcade area to play all the time. He was the biggest "kid". And he also had a full ride offer as a TE to Notre Dame. He was a gentle ben. I got to know him well. He even worked for me, until he got pushed too far by a Cary St. gym punk in a game and kinda lost it.

We almost had big John Smith, Geroge, Jackson and Bernard Hopkins on the same team. Oh and Talley too. I use to watch their practices and marvel at their size. John had those tattooed pumps. I think they had a few kids among them while on the team.

Could Sonny recruit bigs???

Back