Getting out of the CAA

As a result of the NCAA/NIT situation should VCU make a stronger push to get out of the CAA? I don't see the CAA getting 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA year after year. The bottom of the CAA will always pull VCU down as we aim to go to the NCAA each year.

I agreed that the CAA has been good for the VCU. The basketball team got back to its winning ways and the other sport teams have seen a lot of growth, but its time to move on.

If I was the AD and the President of VCU I would be making calls to the A-10 and C-10 and see what can happen.

vcudesign said:
If I was the AD and the President of VCU I would be making calls to the A-10 and C-10 and see what can happen.
I'm hoping we don't call the C 10. Whoever that is. We'd be better suited calling the Ghostbusters.

This one is not the the CAA bottom feeders. Both VCU and W&M had ligit shots at the NCAA and blew it. The league finishes with some combo of ODU, VCU, and W&M in the top 3...without losses to JMU and Towsen...and we all are probably dancing.

Just win!

Jwetzel said:
I'd be OK with a move to the Big East.

I'd be ok with that too. I'd also be ok with all the losses associated with said move. We're not ready for that kind of move yet.

D-Hoesevelt said:
Jwetzel said:

I'd be ok with that too. I'd also be ok with all the losses associated with said move. We're not ready for that kind of move yet.

we would get stomped on a lot right now in the Big East, but it would bring more money, more exposure and maybe even better recruiting ability.

mwalvlior said:
D-Hoesevelt said:
Jwetzel said:

we would get stomped on a lot right now in the Big East, but it would bring more money, more exposure and maybe even better recruiting ability.

I agree that it would bring in more money and exposure, but I'm not sold on better recruits. I think winning brings in the best recruits. We've got to crawl before we can walk. Let’s take a step out of the CAA before we think we're ready to take on the strongest conference in the land.

I didn't know the Big East was just handing out invites to join their league...

vcubanana said:
I didn't know the Big East was just handing out invites to join their league...

heck, with the size of that league they might not even know we're there.

Mercury said:
RRR said:
Being 5th place in the CAA this year doesn't make for a good argument.

This

My bad, I was thinking about the Big 10 when I wrote C-10. I should wrote C-USA. Nevertheless, I think you are missing the point about us finishing 5th this year. You have to look at our body of work in the last 7-10 years. VCU has made it clear what their goals are for the basketball program. Going to the A-10 or C-USA will make it easier to reach those goals.

D-Hoesevelt said:
I agree that it would bring in more money and exposure, but I'm not sold on better recruits. I think winning brings in the best recruits. We've got to crawl before we can walk. Let’s take a step out of the CAA before we think we're ready to take on the strongest conference in the land.

I agree you wont get great recruits if you dont win but for many it is about exposure and being BCS changes the equation to an extent. Only Rutgers and South Florida failed to get at least a 3 star recruit this year, so it means something i guess, shouldnt but it does.

Back