Google Wave

I feel duhmer after hearing what they were talking about because I've got no clue what they were talking about. :lol:

ShoeSh1ne said:
Just wish I could get an account...

http://code.google.com/apis/wave/

you can request sandbox access there. They ask what you're planning to develop and i put in some BS about Google Wave integration with SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor. hopefully they'll just rubber stamp me in ;)

It does look pretty cool. I can see certain uses for it particularly in document collaboration. Perhaps they could build it into something like openoffice or something rather than just using the limited google docs stuff.

But I already get bothered by way too much email and don't want to work under an "instant email/msg" type system.

It certainly would make instant chat fun during rams games though!

wonder how they (or users) will achieve/cache that stuff and how e-discovery (of evidence) rules will apply to all that

also wonder about the ability to encrypt/exclude in order to meet confidentiality requirements

You have to watch the entire video. Some of the functionality it already has is unbelievable.

This is Web3.0 in a single product. This will change the Internet fundamentally.

I've heard that Google is in the process of developing an OS...any word on when this will be available?

Emit Remmus said:
I've heard that Google is in the process of developing an OS...any word on when this will be available?

Are you talking about Google's efforts to move everything to the browser? They have long-term plans to provide decentralized browser-based services to replace most common PC functions, but I don't think Google is working on their own OS. With their fairly deep commitment to Open Source and Linux, I don't really understand why they would be developing one.

Are you thinking about Android, maybe?

Sometimes said:
Are you thinking about Android, maybe?

There are rumors floating around that there may be some netbooks coming out with Android as the OS. Almost stands to reason as I know of few people that use if for major MS Office type work. Not sure how it would work logging into things like MS exchange to check emails. But, I at least use if primarily for web browsing and email...perhaps some notes and stuff. Plus there are thousands...about 5000 google apps for android out already.

Supposedly the nice thing about Wave is taht it is built around what is already available through the net...the basic net protocols and web 2.0. I think they mentioned that with the exception of one Wave implementation, you don't even need google gears. But they really need to enhance their Google Docs stuff if you ask me. They bought it from someone (company) slapped the word "beta" on it two years ago and haven't done anything with it that I can really see. I guess web implementation isn't robust enough at this time to get it to where it needs to be. ThinkFree is really nice but utilizes proprietary API's I believe.

Update:

100,000 invites are being sent out tomorrow (Sept 30) to various groups including those who signed up through the Google Wave site.

I *think* I signed up but it was 5 months ago so I can't remember. If anyone else did and gets an invite, rumor has it you will get 8 invites to then send to whomever you want. If you're feeling generous, use this thread to post that info.

Thanks.

ShoeSh1ne said:
Update:

100,000 invites are being sent out tomorrow (Sept 30) to various groups including those who signed up through the Google Wave site.

I *think* I signed up but it was 5 months ago so I can't remember. If anyone else did and gets an invite, rumor has it you will get 8 invites to then send to whomever you want. If you're feeling generous, use this thread to post that info.

Thanks.

I've had a beta account for a while now. Haven't played with it since the first day i got it though, it was VERY buggy and overwhelming then.

Sounds like more of a developer kit. I think this is more of a semi-public beta. Probably less buggy, but still a little buggy.

ShoeSh1ne said:
Sounds like more of a developer kit. I think this is more of a semi-public beta. Probably less buggy, but still a little buggy.

Yeah, the developers preview is what I have.

Back