grammy awards- ugh

buckwheat

Elite Member
i know, i know, the grammy's are what they are, but i just don't get it.

who, might i ask, actually believes that the black eyed peas, lady gaga, and beyonce represent the best music our country has to offer? are 12 year old girls voting for this? i mean, i'm not sitting here saying that they should be nominating mostly stuff i like (never gonna happen), and i am certainly open to different genres, but the black eyed peas? i mean jesus christ bon friggin jovi is still being nominated for grammy's! bon jovi!

with all the fantastic music out there, it really is a shame what our mainstream music culture has turned into. the grammy's have always been about popularity and always will be, but this year it seems even worse to me. is it just me?

Popular music is just that, popular. Because we are not 12 year old girls, we dont understand that but those are the artists that are selling records and get all the publicity. The Grammys have always been like that.

From Wiki:
Certain musical artists have voiced personal issues with the nature of the Grammys. Singer Maynard James Keenan, of progressive metal band Tool at one time, did not attend the Grammy Awards ceremony to receive one of their awards. He explained his reasons:

“ I think the Grammys are nothing more than some gigantic promotional machine for the music industry. They cater to a low intellect and they feed the masses. They don't honor the arts or the artist for what he created. It's the music business celebrating itself. That's basically what it's all about.[9] ”

The Grammys are often criticized for not representing public sentiment. Some critics have argued that major award shows like the Grammys are merely the recording industry's attempt to congratulate themselves while advertising their products. Some critics argue that winners naturally reflect "the social, political and artistic preferences of the nominating and voting members."[citation needed]

Additionally, many have criticized the Grammys for distributing more awards than necessary and that a large portion of the ceremony is "filler" to result in a longer engagement. [10]

Bono (U2) was critical of the Grammys early in his career, but later [11] he began to appreciate their inclusiveness:

“ It was all there: anger, love, forgiveness, family, community and the deepest sense of history... Here was the full power of American music challenging my arrogance. I watched the rest of the show with new eyes. The Grammys invited jazz, country, rock, soul and classical into the same hall. No regard for demographic studies of what would deliver ratings, no radio call-out research-- a mad amalgam of the profound and the absurd and the creeping realization that one man's Mozart is another man's Vegas.[12]

A band called Jets to Brazil once sang, "it's not what you sell it's what you make".

Clear Channel pretty much owns popular music right now. They own the record companies and the stations, so as far as "popular" music, they pretty much give you a couple of choices each year and say "pick one".

They can give themselves awards too if they like...probably own the Grammy's

Natty said:
A band called Jets to Brazil once sang, "it's not what you sell it's what you make".

oh man, what a good song.. jeez!

I'm with you guys on the Grammy's.....it ranks with the Cable Ace Awards and CAAZone Awards.

I'm front and center with kids aged 6-10 ALL day, and 98% listen to "pop" music. Every now and then you get a kid who's brother or sister peep them onto something worthwhile or different...but my only hope is that someday they realize GREAT music can be found outside the Top 40.

As for Pop music itself...the main problem is that parents today give an allowance that 1980's me would literally murder for......wich makes them the best demographic for marketers and such. Impressionable people with cash + the attention span of a gnat + Near constant TV watching/Internet + peer pressure = easy money for crap product (see Black Eyed Peas etc.)

I don't even believe the music rankings anymore. How the heck does a song debut at #1?

A few weeks ago some singer named Kesha - actually it is Ke$ha with a freaking dollar sign has some major viral music video that sweeps the country....and this girl had never even put out an album! I think this is all BS and pure marketing.

Two major types of current music that I just can't stand...singers who think they sound better if they also have choreographed dancing to go with there songs and bands that consist of three guys just murdering guitars along with a drummer who beats the crap out of drums....such as pop alternative Greenday crap and heavy metal...or and Grunge. The last thing I want to listen to again is 1990's Soundgarden seattle, grunge, nirvarna, Kobain, morbid crap.

The-King-of-Hyrule--KIDS-THESE-DAYS-WHY-WHEN-I-WAS-A-YOUNG-MAN-WE-HAD-NONE-OF-THIS-FANCY-TECHNO-MUMB.jpg

Back