Green City

True. Even the rats have left.
Yet, somehow the Hampton Coliseum and Norfolk Scope are still operating and both were built around the same time as the Richmond Coliseum. Also throw in the arena in Roanoke that was also built in 1971. Yet another example of the incompetence of the City of Richmond.

Last edited:
Yet, somehow the Hampton Coliseum and Norfolk Scope are still operating and both were built around the same time as the Richmond Coliseum. Also throw in the arena in Roanoke that was also built in 1971. Yet another example of the incompetence of the City of Richmond.
I remember when they opened.

I remember when they opened.
Apparently the Hampton Coliseum and Norfolk Scope were better designed and better maintained to remain functional 50+ years later. The Richmond Coliseum was a dark, dingy, ugly building ever since it opened and by the mid-90s was considered a dump.

Yea, I was thinking that this year when I spent the day at the Norfolk Coliseum for my daughter's indoor colorguard championships. I remember seeing the Rams lose there in 93(?) and then returning a few years later for a Reverend Horton Heat/The Melvins/White Zombie show...the old girl is still hanging in there. Seems so much smaller now

Same goes with once-thriving adult softball.

As recently as about 1980, there were some 17 fields in the City fit for league/tournament play. City of Richmond was the hub of softball for a hundred miles in any direction. There were games on those fields throughout the week and frequently on weekends, March to November.

Now there is virtually no league or tournament play in the City, and the once well-manicured, four-diamond Henderson Complex (near JM High) looks like a WW1 battle scene. Last time I played at Henderson, there was a deer carcus near the centerfield fence on Field 4. Since no one would touch it, it became a ground-rule double if the ball rolled in that vicinity.

Almost all softball now is in Chesterfield, Hanover and Henrico. That's lots of league fees and tournament fees (as well as gas, food. lodging and other revenue) that no longer go into City coffers. Does anyone see a trend here?

As recently as about 1980, there were some 17 fields in the City fit for league/tournament play. City of Richmond was the hub of softball for a hundred miles in any direction. There were games on those fields throughout the week and frequently on weekends, March to November.

Now there is virtually no league or tournament play in the City, and the once well-manicured, four-diamond Henderson Complex (near JM High) looks like a WW1 battle scene. Last time I played at Henderson, there was a deer carcus near the centerfield fence on Field 4. Since no one would touch it, it became a ground-rule double if the ball rolled in that vicinity.

Almost all softball now is in Chesterfield, Hanover and Henrico. That's lots of league fees and tournament fees (as well as gas, food. lodging and other revenue) that no longer go into City coffers. Does anyone see a trend here?
Wow, I remember playing our league softball games there in the mid-late 80s. That is sad.

Yea, I was thinking that this year when I spent the day at the Norfolk Coliseum for my daughter's indoor colorguard championships. I remember seeing the Rams lose there in 93(?) and then returning a few years later for a Reverend Horton Heat/The Melvins/White Zombie show...the old girl is still hanging in there. Seems so much smaller now
Probably seems smaller because who have spent more time in major arenas in subsequent years.

Not sure how the Hampton Coliseum does it. There are exactly four events on its calendar, not counting high school graduations, for the remainder of the year. But if you have an event you'd like to book, all you'll need is five grand.

The Scope's situation is a little different because they are part of SevenVenues, which can pool its resources, I guess?

Not sure how the Hampton Coliseum does it. There are exactly four events on its calendar, not counting high school graduations, for the remainder of the year. But if you have an event you'd like to book, all you'll need is five grand.

The Scope's situation is a little different because they are part of SevenVenues, which can pool its resources, I guess?
All it takes is one phish stand and they can float for another seven years...

If you want to ensure your project or initiative becomes a total dumpster fire - poope show, get the city of Richmond government involved. There isn’t anything they can’t ruin, destroy, or completely mess-up. But rest assured, they will “make theirs” off the top before the plug is pulled. If they were one third as competent as the Raleigh or Charlotte city government Richmond would be a very different place.

If you want to ensure your project or initiative becomes a total dumpster fire - poope show, get the city of Richmond government involved. There isn’t anything they can’t ruin, destroy, or completely mess-up. But rest assured, they will “make theirs” off the top before the plug is pulled. If they were one third as competent as the Raleigh or Charlotte city government Richmond would be a very different place.
Raleigh has tech and great universities. Charlotte simply built an airport. Made it easier to bypass Atlanta by giving Piedmont/USAir a hub. While we are at it throw in Greenville SC, another city that is leaving Richmond far behind.

Raleigh has tech and great universities. Charlotte simply built an airport. Made it easier to bypass Atlanta by giving Piedmont/USAir a hub. While we are at it throw in Greenville SC, another city that is leaving Richmond far behind.
Greenville isn’t close to leaving Richmond behind. Richmond includes its metro area, which is much larger. All of the shade people want to thrown on the area and we’re the fastest growing part of Virginia.

Back