Green City

Greenville isn’t close to leaving Richmond behind. Richmond includes its metro area, which is much larger. All of the shade people want to thrown on the area and we’re the fastest growing part of Virginia.
And by far the biggest hurdle is the state's insane city/county division. The city council has nothing to do with that (unless anyone thinks it's realistic that they'd ever vote to unincorporate... which it isn't)

3 of my best memories involve the Hampton Coliseum. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and the ‘85 SBC tourney. I still can see the folks waving brooms during the championship game as they chanted “sweep! sweep! sweep!” Also Dickie V getting on the PA and saying “That was one of the most well played college basketball games” he had ever witnessed.

I did witness ZZ Top and the E Street Band
at the RC. The acoustics were always terrible there, and was Springsteen’s concert as good as the one on top of the Marshall St parking deck? Not even close.

Last edited:
3 of my best memories involve the Hampton Coliseum. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and the ‘85 SBC tourney. I still can see the folks waving brooms during the championship game as they chanted “sweep! sweep! sweep!” Also Dickie V getting on the PA and saying “That was one of the most well played college basketball games” he had ever witnessed.

at the RC. The acoustics were always terrible there, and was Springsteen’s concert as good as the one on top of the Marshall St parking deck? Not even close.
My parents took me to my first real concert there, coincidentally it was Tina Turner on her Private Dancer tour, with Mr. Mr. opening. Definitely made an impression on my young mind. RIP Queen of Rock and Roll

It seems to me that it would be doable for GRTC to offer an event-day bus from Richmond to Green City. It would only run on days when something big is going on there, like the A10 tourney or large events. It wouldn't necessarily have to be part of the Pulse system, but it could leave from a Pulse stop, which means people could easily get to the "launch" point.
$$$ wins the conversation at the end of the day. Henrico's leadership will do what it takes to make it work. They won't sit idle on this investment.
Short Pump has generally welcomed GRTC route expansion, actually. The #19 and #79 buses see a lot of ridership and Henrico is generally enthusiastic about helping fund GRTC's operations. I think they'd be perfectly happy with routes to Green City.

It's Chesterfield that has been resistant to expanding bus routes, it's why most of the bus routes don't go far into the western parts of the county (except the #82X Commonwealth 20 Express, which has no other stops in Chesterfield County at all). There was a route on Route 1 that the county quietly eliminated when COVID happened. Chesterfield County infamously said the quiet part out loud in an old version of its transportation plan, stating that they don't want poor people to enter the more affluent parts of the county. GRTC wants to put Pulse lines on Midlothian Turnpike and Hull Street Road but I don't see that ever happening.
GRTC could care less about any new routes. UNLESS someone is going to fund it. Knowing how well Henrico is run, there will be appropriate routes to this area if needed. Unlike the other county, Henrico doesn't prevent bus routes to prevent city undesirables from partaking.

I worked directly with GRTC for a few years as the P&T Manager at VCU and I honestly felt their leadership was a complete joke. I just hope they got rid of those IDIOTS. Some of the most incompetent leaders I've ever seen at that level. Thankfully there were some who were competent enough to offset the lunacy.

Sorry, a PTSD moment.
Here's a solution, albeit a pipedream: Open the county to bus routes as far as 288 and drop the tolls on the Powhite and Downtown Expressway. That opens things up both ways, much like western Henrico. For years I've heard, "Why go to the city when I have to pay tolls each way, pay for parking, and pay higher taxes at city restaurants?"

In the interest of full disclosure, I've lived in Richmond Metro for nearly 4 decades, first in the City on the southside, then Western Henrico, then deep in Chesterfield and now back in the City. As the City continues to grow, just look at Scott's Addition as an example, sooner or later Chesterfield is going to want some of those spendable dollars.
RMA has a big debt to pay off before any thought of removing the tolls that allowed the fortunate to bi-pass the less fortunate on their work commutes.
Also a pretty large new ice hockey facility across from the old Cloverleaf Mall site that will host hockey tournaments.
And they have the better version of the best Jamaican (House) jerk chicken in the region in the same parking lot. Carena's!!!!
Back in the day most stadiums/arenas were in downtown areas. Then starting in the late 60s/early 70 a trend developed for building them in the suburbs. Over the past couple of decades the trend has come back to downtown stadiums/arenas for a reason, that's what people prefer (versus having to drive 10 miles for stuff) and that it's the best way to attract people and events.

I don't understand how people haven't observed the trend.
Location, location and location are your starting points. Downtowns are generally the center of large regions. Therefore, as we all obviously know, it made sense for large community driven sporting facilities to be downtown (also convenient for downtown workers getting off during weekdays). Crime, parking and boredom likely effected their success.
But I don't consider Parham and I-95 that far removed from the center of the region. Actually, its pretty much centralized for the region...just without the crime risk and parking issues.
I-95,
two minutes from I-295
five minutes from I-64
ten munutes from downtown and VCU
Interesting point about being right off 95. The Henrico county manager, sports tourism folks and BOS hammer that point home. It is a big selling point for out of town visitors. Might be easier to access for them than going into the city.
John P. has been a blessing to Henrico. Love his work. He recently hired Dennis Bickmeier away from the Raceway to run his Sports and Entertainment Authority. Dennis is also a great guy who knows something about major sporting events.
New pickleball facility opening up at Regency in December
Has the big swimming facilities there opened yet?
Garland Taylor (Buddy's and Home Team Grill) owns Sloop John B Raco Restaurant at Regency. And there's the relocated Big Whisky Grill for the best bourbon selection on the east coast.
Yet, somehow the Hampton Coliseum and Norfolk Scope are still operating and both were built around the same time as the Richmond Coliseum. Also throw in the arena in Roanoke that was also built in 1971. Yet another example of the incompetence of the City of Richmond.
My first college wrestling match (win by pin) was at the Scope in 79'.
I worked (late 90's) and still attend wrestling at the Hampton Coliseum. The premiere national High School and College dual teams tournament has been held there for over 40 years.
I coached at Highland Springs High School in 89' and Harry Wiles won a AAA state title in the Ashe Center in Richmond. That's the largest arena I remember the AAA State Championships being in. They've historically been in large HS gyms. NJ's always had them in major college or pro sports arena (and AC Boardwalk Hall).
Wow, I remember playing our league softball games there in the mid-late 80s. That is sad.
Played there in 80's and was on a championship team with Tubby Smith. We even had games at the small field across the street from Ashe Center.

I've only ever had the snapper at Carena's but I'll have to give the jerk chicken a try. For my money, it's awful tough to top the Caribbean Grill food cart over by MCV.

They opened in 2021, it’s a really nice facility. If VCU had swimming and diving, it’d be a pretty good venue for the A10 championships.
Nowhere to sit but a few temporary bleachers at the NOVA Regency facility.

They opened in 2021, it’s a really nice facility. If VCU had swimming and diving, it’d be a pretty good venue for the A10 championships.
No way. It would be at swimRVA. It's the '08 trials pool. A beautiful facility meant to showcase swimming. Multiple conferences have events there. They've already hosted USA Swimming Open events too.

Has the big swimming facilities there opened yet?
Garland Taylor (Buddy's and Home Team Grill) owns Sloop John B Raco Restaurant at Regency. And there's the relocated Big Whisky Grill for the best bourbon selection on the east coast.
Yeah swimming facility has been open I've seen the bottom of the parking garage PACKED multiple times for meets

That 1985 Sunbelt Conference Tournament Championship was sweet. It was VCU's third. Mike Schlegel was the MVP. He was unstoppable. To this day many ODU people will tell you it may have been one of if not the best game they ever played. The Ram's simply would not lose and prevailed 87-82. If memory serves me correct we went 26-6 that year.

That 1985 Sunbelt Conference Tournament Championship was sweet. It was VCU's third. Mike Schlegel was the MVP. He was unstoppable. To this day many ODU people will tell you it may have been one of if not the best game they ever played. The Ram's simply would not lose and prevailed 87-82. If memory serves me correct we went 26-6 that year.
Agree. Neil Wake made some crucial foul shots to seal the win.

Not Green City but I went to location scout the Henrico Arena at the Virginia Center Commons for a Tuesday presser.

Panoramic shot from south to the left going all the way around the facility.
354577566_9426213890785622_6984735440257377793_n.jpg

Putting up a blue curtain to close off the main arena or open it for a multi-team sports event.
347399043_9426214990785512_7278176178644185334_n.jpg

Not Green City but I went to location scout the Henrico Arena at the Virginia Center Commons for a Tuesday presser.

Panoramic shot from south to the left going all the way around the facility.
354577566_9426213890785622_6984735440257377793_n.jpg

Putting up a blue curtain to close off the main arena or open it for a multi-team sports event.
347399043_9426214990785512_7278176178644185334_n.jpg
I saw that the scoreboard was just installed this week. It already looks like it'll be a very nice facility, I can't wait for it to open.

Back