Green City

Back in the day most stadiums/arenas were in downtown areas. Then starting in the late 60s/early 70 a trend developed for building them in the suburbs. Over the past couple of decades the trend has come back to downtown stadiums/arenas for a reason, that's what people prefer (versus having to drive 10 miles for stuff) and that it's the best way to attract people and events.

I don't understand how people haven't observed the trend.
There’s one problem with this “trend” and that is the City of Richmond.

No reason to throw shade on what Henrico is doing. Be glad that they’ve stepped up to make this happen.

One other point. No one in their right mind is going to commit to a project like Green City unless they have done their due diligence and are certain they can make it work. I'm sure they have way more resources at their fingertips to make major decisions like this than some armchair urban developer on a basketball message board has.
Yeah, I'm sure the 6th Street Marketplace did their due diligence too.

And for the record, I'm 100% supportive of the Green City project and I'm glad it's happening. My concern is regarding tournaments at the facility.

No reason to throw shade on what Henrico is doing. Be glad that they’ve stepped up to make this happen.
No doubt. Not throwing shade at all. Just saying significant development is needed to support it being successful.

Every out of towner that drives up and down I-95/I-295 is going to see Richmond has a new 17,000 arena as it's being built at the crossroads of those two highways. Regarding driving 10 miles to get stuff, Green City is not just a 17,000 arena. It's a huge multi-phased development with housing/retail/green space. Virginia Center Commons is just down the road and that is also going through a huge redevelopment phase that will compliment Green City. Also, being next to both interstates, Short Pump is a very short drive away, as is the City of Richmond - particularly Scotts Edition.

The City of Richmond has had multiple opportunities to build a new arena and have found ways to screw up each and every opportunity. You are arguing for something that will never happen in the City of Richmond and you need to get over it. And I have heard zero complaints from locals regarding Green City. In fact, most locals are just happy the area is finally moving into the 21st Century with an arena large enough to attract top name acts versus having to drive to Charlottesville or DC to see those acts.

When your only option is Option A, you go with Option A.
I don't think anybody is saying otherwise. An arena in the burbs is better than no arena. The question is maximizing its impact. I'm just challenging the notion of brushing aside people having to drive to get to things and it's no big deal.

No joke. Have you seen the shows at the National lately? Absolutely awful bookings. They use to have summers of great shows every other week. Now there’s zilch. It speaks volumes. We don’t even have TSO coming (Which packed the coliseum.) which was a holiday tradition for Richmond.

No joke. Have you seen the shows at the National lately? Absolutely awful bookings. They use to have summers of great shows every other week. Now there’s zilch. It speaks volumes. We don’t even have TSO coming (Which packed the coliseum.) which was a holiday tradition for Richmond.
New 7500 seat amphitheater that was just approved in the city is nice

Yeah, I'm sure the 6th Street Marketplace did their due diligence too.

And for the record, I'm 100% supportive of the Green City project and I'm glad it's happening. My concern is regarding tournaments at the facility.

Fans are going to show up no matter where the tournament is played. And the entertainment dollar goes a lot further in RVA than it does in DC or NYC. I'll guarantee you the CAA Tournaments at the Coliseum weren't well attended just because the Coliseum was downtown.

No doubt. Not throwing shade at all. Just saying significant development is needed to support it being successful.

Have you seen the entire Green City development plan? It's way more than just a 17,000 seat arena.

Have you seen the entire Green City development plan? It's way more than just a 17,000 seat arena.
Yes I have and from what I've seen it has a lot of residential and commercial office space, a hotel, and very limited entertainment options unless I'm missing something.

Yes I have and from what I've seen it has a lot of residential and commercial office space, a hotel, and very limited entertainment options unless I'm missing something.

Not sure what plans you have been looking at, but pretty much the entire center of the project is designated for retail.

So, are you saying when Innsbrook was built, if it had a 17,00 arena, it would not have had enough development to support it being successful? And I'm not just talking the first phase of Innsbrook. Successful development breeds more development. Just look at Short Pump.

The National has plenty of good artists booked. That’s just your perception and taste in music; nothing wrong with that either.

So, are you saying when Innsbrook was built, if it had a 17,00 arena, it would not have had enough development to support it being successful? And I'm not just talking the first phase of Innsbrook. Successful development breeds more development. Just look at Short Pump.
I think I pretty much said what I'm saying. How many examples are there of arenas built in the middle of nowhere that were replaced with downtown arenas? I'm not an urban planner, I hope like heck this project is wildly successful. But there's a reason most of these projects from what I've observed follow a certain template. But like it's been mentioned, GreenCity was the only option so we have to make it work and hopefully it attracts upgraded development surrounding it.

I don't think anybody is saying otherwise. An arena in the burbs is better than no arena. The question is maximizing its impact. I'm just challenging the notion of brushing aside people having to drive to get to things and it's no big deal.
I hope it works too. As someone who no longer lives within driving distance to RVA I will probably never step foot in the arena. I am with you in that people are massively underestimating the impact of having to drive to the arena for tournaments and big events. It is a night and day difference comparing the ease of travel and enjoyment of Charlotte, DC and NYC to Green City.

Back