Havoc unlimited details/questions

Om
No deals have been announced. They do have a board and the members can be found below. It is the same names you'll see in other places where VCU basketball and money are involved.

One of the women's basketball staff members told me that we lost out on a big recruit recently because a bigger school came in late and offered $80K for her to come there. We had been recruiting her since 8th grade. We had no NIL $$ to offer. Money talks.

Om

One of the women's basketball staff members told me that we lost out on a big recruit recently because a bigger school came in late and offered $80K for her to come there. We had been recruiting her since 8th grade. We had no NIL $$ to offer. Money talks.

I can't see VCU women's basketball ever being in a position to offer a player $80K in NIL money. The program just isn't at that level.

I can't see VCU women's basketball ever being in a position to offer a player $80K in NIL money. The program just isn't at that level.
Most likely you are correct. But even if the WBB program wants to take a moonshot, shouldn't they be out there hustling for this NIL money? Shouldn't big donors be aware of the specific need? Yeah they say fund the NIL. That's fine for people giving a few hundred bucks. But if you want someone to throw in a 5 figure amount, most people would want specifics. Is this WBB staff member really surprised why they have no NIL $$?

Last edited:
A couple of comments here.

First, I don't think you can just give money to a player. You have to use them or their likeness and that is what you are paying for. I THINK it is still a big no-no to just give players money to play.

Second, yes there are a still a lot of questions about the collective. However, if you go to the site and look at it, you will see two payment options- one for a single deposit and one for a monthly deposit. If you are concerned, but still want to get onboard if things work out to your satisfaction, just do a monthly, and if things don't work out you can simply quit.

We decided to do both. So we split our yearly contribution in half and gave 1/2 up front (figuring they really needed the upfront start up cash) and are doing the other half monthly. The monthly helps them project how much they will have available for payments to players.

Hopefully, they will have a forum for questions to clear some of this up. But if we want our coaching staff to have ALL the tools they need for players, we need the collective.
So is buying an autographed photo of the Roster for $1.3 million, perhaps even before there is a roster, each season, in or out?

Most likely you are correct. But even if the WBB program wants to take a moonshot, shouldn't they be out there hustling for this NIL money? Shouldn't big donors be aware of the specific need? Yeah they say fund the NIL. That's fine for people giving a few hundred bucks. But if you want someone to throw in a 5 figure amount, most people would want specifics. Is this WBB staff member really surprised why they have no NIL $$?
Considering the amount of support for WBB at VCU.... I highly doubt anyone is surprised.

I mean lets look at some things....
NCAA Tournament appearances: 2 (2009, 2021)
NCAA Tournament wins: 0
Conference Champ. Game Appearances: 3 (2019-2021)
Conference Tourney Titles: 1
Regular Season Titles: 1 (shared with Fordham in 2019, tho we had the tiebreaker)

Average Home Game attendance: is barely 1000 people.... usually considerably lower. The average is inflated due to education days boosting our totals.

Just on that stuff alone.... if a recruit has a choice between us & somewhere thats gonna give her $80k in NIL money.... I'd take the NIL money too.

We don't have the support for WBB.... and overall we don't have the rich winning history to lure recruits that way.

Last edited:
Considering the amount of support for WBB at VCU.... I highly doubt anyone is surprised.

I mean lets look at some things....
NCAA Tournament appearances: 2 (2009, 2021)
NCAA Tournament wins: 0
Conference Champ. Game Appearances: 3 (2019-2021)
Conference Tourney Titles: 1
Regular Season Titles: 1 (shared with Fodham in 2019, tho we had the tiebreaker)

Average Home Game attendance: is barely 1000 people.... usually considerably lower. The average is inflated due to education days boosting our totals.

Just on that stuff alone.... if a recruit has a choice between us & somewhere thats gonna give her $80k in NIL money.... I'd take the NIL money too.

We don't have the support for WBB.... and overall we don't have the rich winning history to lure recruits that way.
what is the solution in your mind - given you are one of the fans that knows the most about the program

they share the BDC and I gotta think that is fantastic for a women's program anywhere and a great facility to sell

do they also fly charter on some trips (I have no idea)

go Rams

what is the solution in your mind - given you are one of the fans that knows the most about the program

they share the BDC and I gotta think that is fantastic for a women's program anywhere and a great facility to sell

go Rams

What solution is there?

Remember when All-Sports passes were a thing that came with your RAF donations (and I think are being brought back with the new benefits chart)... with however many $500 & up donors we had (all of which got multiple all-sports passes) and hardly any of them ever got used for WBB games. If people won't show up to a game that they can get in free too..... you really think there's anything we can do to get people to show up & regularly support our program?

VCU WBB won their first ever conference tournament title in March of 2021 (at the Seigel Center no less).... and made their 2nd ever NCAA Tournament. The following season, we open up at Seigel against Middle Tennessee State on a Friday night at 6 PM. You know what the attendance for that game was? 495..... Not Even 500 people showed up to support the team, watch the ring ceremony, see the Banners unveiled.

Now, admittedly I was not there either, as I was in Denver visiting family & watching Bones & the Nuggets play (a trip I planned well before the schedule was released)..... but you bet your @$$ I woulda been there otherwise. But still even if I was there, we still didn't crack 500 people.

Meanwhile.... over 7400 people showed up to watch us lose to Wagner the following night during homecoming.

I can't make 6-7000+ people show up to a game they find "boring", or change their opinion on the sport.

At different times during my time as a fan here I've made threads for "Big Games" trying to get people to "Pack the STU" ......whether because we were gonna be on National TV, or if it was a big game standings wise or w/e. Some people supported it, some people laughed at it, others told me go back to the WBB forums on this site.... that most people never even bat an eye at.

He11, more than half of the people on here probably don't know that a former VCU WBB player was on a WNBA training camp roster, and might have a chance of making the team (fingers crossed 🤞) after a good showing the other day. Prob the only ones who know are the ones that follow me on twitter or FB, because I've been retweeting/sharing a lot of her highlights, cheering her on & supporting her as not only a fan, but also as a friend. The only other people that would know are the ones that work with VCU Athletics.

But if it was one of our mens players competing for a roster spot.... it'd be all over these boards.

Fact of the matter is, most people don't give a crap about Women's Basketball..... we could go out there and win a Natty, and no one would care. The AD might, just because that'd be another trophy or ring for him to show off, but thats it.... there's little to no advertisement for the WBB games.... and realistically, why would our AD waste money advertising WBB games, if they know that no ones gonna show up.

So.... long story short.... until the fans change their opinions & ways about WBB & supporting our team.... expect the NIL money for our WBB team & program to be miniscule & expect us to miss out on possible big time recruits just like whoever this one we just lost out on was.

Last edited:
I don’t think the problems you mention are unique to VCU. There are a lot of schools that can’t get people to attend women’s games. Even if I was interested in going, I just don’t have the time to go to both men’s and women’s games. Often, I’m relieved at the end of the men’s season because it frees up more time for me.

I don’t understand why our program isn’t better than it is considering its location and facilities. I thought we were heading in the right direction after 2021, but that wasn’t sustained. We certainly can’t compete with P5 programs because the talent pool isn’t there at the moment to have as much parity in women’s basketball as there is for men’s. But I would expect us to consistently be one of the better teams in the A10. Last season was a disaster.

I don’t think the problems you mention are unique to VCU. There are a lot of schools that can’t get people to attend women’s games. Even if I was interested in going, I just don’t have the time to go to both men’s and women’s games. Often, I’m relieved at the end of the men’s season because it frees up more time for me.

I don’t understand why our program isn’t better than it is considering its location and facilities. I thought we were heading in the right direction after 2021, but that wasn’t sustained. We certainly can’t compete with P5 programs because the talent pool isn’t there at the moment to have as much parity in women’s basketball as there is for men’s. But I would expect us to consistently be one of the better teams in the A10. Last season was a disaster.

Combination of things happened... 1) 2021 we had 3 high quality A10 level players.... Taya Robinson, Tera Reed and Sarah Te-Biasu (who was a freshman at the time).... We also had 2 players quit the team because of the Coach, midseason. 1 of them transferred (and ended up going in the WNBA draft this year.... tho she did not report to camp).... and the other quit altogether & now is married to a former VCU MBB player.

After we won that title.... Tera decided to transfer & use her 5th year elsewhere. Taya came back, as did Sarah & we had an ok year, but got bounced by #1 Dayton in the A10 Semifinals. And then Taya graduated. Then this past season pretty much Coach OB got exposed as a coach. Because she relied so heavily on Tera & Taya all those years.... both of who are now Top 10 all time in scoring for VCU WBB. Sarah is a great player but she can't do it all herself, and teams were double teaming her all season, and our other key scorers struggled shooting the ball most of the year... Between that and the injuries we suffered all year.... like Chloe Bloom disappearing for like a month and a half with no office statement as to what happened. And then Sarah going down with less than 10 games to go last year as the final nail in the coffin.

Personally from an "x's" & "o's" stand point.... I think our coach is the problem.... her staff turnover the last 2 years from when we won the A10 Champ. has been ridiculous.... and it's people leaving for equal level jobs, not taking the next step or advancing up the ladder of coaching ranks. And despite all the talent we've had the last 5-7 years.... we got 1 NCAA Tournament & 1 A10 Championship to show for it.

I think recruiting wise overall she's been good, all things considered... Sarah, Tera, & Taya are/were 3 higher level A10 Quality players.... we had some quality players before them too.... but OB couldn't get over the hump & bring us a title until 2021... and since that season it's gone down hill again.... Time will tell, if we bounce back.... but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, I know the problems are not unique to VCU.... but unlike schools like Fordham, and Dayton in who have a good bit of history winning in the A10 & making the NCAA tourney.... we do not have that rich history of winning. And while we've had players in the WNBA in the past.... and have another one who is currently on the verge of possibly getting a WNBA contract (would be the first one to make a roster since Quanitra Hollingsworth was last on a WNBA roster in 2015). Meanwhile a school like GW can hang their hats on their ties to the 2021 WNBA MVP & 4 time all star Jonquel Jones, and use that some to help their recruiting.

Also its pretty bad when we play Fordham & Dayton at home, and their fans seem to out number ours.

Personally from an "x's" & "o's" stand point.... I think our coach is the problem.... her staff turnover the last 2 years from when we won the A10 Champ. has been ridiculous.... and it's people leaving for equal level jobs, not taking the next step or advancing up the ladder of coaching ranks. And despite all the talent we've had the last 5-7 years.... we got 1 NCAA Tournament & 1 A10 Championship to show for it.
This is the suspicion that I’ve had for a while. While VCU might not have a history of women’s basketball success, there seem to be enough advantages to have a better program than what we have.

Last edited:
This is the suspicion that I’ve had for a while. While VCU might not have a history of women’s basketball success, there seem to be enough advantages to have a better program that what we have.
yup... all you gotta do is watch games from last year.... 3rd quarters were are achilles heel all season.... and lord knows how many games we either had a lead in late or chance to tie or take the lead late & we couldn't finish the job.

go Rams
Yes they do charter like the mens team. There is a significant amount of $$ being poured into women's hoops budget wise. The program gets everything they ask for from a financial standpoint. The return on investment is just not there.

Figured this was a good place to put this. This seems like a great idea for NIL. RVA has TONS of local breweries. Let’s get one on board for something like this.

Has anyone seen any indication that the collective is going to answer the very legitimate questions posed here about the way it is run and the funds handled? I’ve seen nothing

Figured this was a good place to put this. This seems like a great idea for NIL. RVA has TONS of local breweries. Let’s get one on board for something like this.

That was tried last year at VCU prior to basketball season and it was shut down before the first beer rolled off the assembly line due to VCU being a state university and it's perception regarding promoting alcohol.

Back