Hofstra drops football

Lets mix the good players from them and NU and kick up a team

How convenient - we now have space for GSU and ODU

An Open Letter to the Hofstra Community:

After a comprehensive review, the Board of Trustees has, at my recommendation, voted unanimously to eliminate our intercollegiate football program in order to redirect those resources toward academic initiatives and need-based scholarships.

This decision is not a budget reduction, but rather a strategically driven reallocation of resources. We have no plans for any further major changes to our Division I athletics program, which we believe is an integral part of a fully textured university experience. We will continue to host 17 intercollegiate sports and to continue to invest significantly in our athletics program. However, at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) level, football could not attain significant national recognition, and it has had low student, community and media interest, attendance and financial support. In addition, the football program, the largest of the athletic programs, is by far the most expensive. In the end, we could not continue to justify the expense of football compared to the benefits it brought to the University.

This was a difficult decision, undertaken after a thorough review of all aspects of the issue. After much discussion and analysis, we believe with certainty that it is the right choice for Hofstra University. This strategic decision to reallocate resources is based on our academic mission and priorities, and our vision of attaining recognition as one of our nation’s leading universities. Investment in academic initiatives and need-based scholarships is warranted for the long term benefit of our students and the University community.

Simply stated, academic excellence has been and will continue to be our highest priority. Hofstra has made significant strides in the past decade, dramatically improving the credentials of entering classes, adding new professorships and chairs, creating national centers such as the Kalikow Center for the Study of the American Presidency and the National Center for Suburban Studies, and establishing the Hofstra University School of Medicine in partnership with North Shore- LIJ Health System. Hofstra’s potential is limitless, and there are many exciting and new possibilities for the future, including enhancements to our hard science and engineering programs, including new graduate programs, as well as new programs in public health and other health related fields.

Our first priority, at this time, is to work with the 84 football student-athletes to ensure that they manage this transition in whatever manner is most comfortable for them. We hope that they will continue to make Hofstra their academic home, and will fully honor their scholarships so they can complete their degrees. However, we will also understand if they decide to transfer to continue playing football while attending school. Whichever they decide to do, we will provide the necessary assistance. We are grateful to all of them, and to our coaching staff, for their dedicated efforts for our University. All of our students and alumni are valued members of the Hofstra family, and we respect and honor the contributions of our football student-athletes over the years.

If we are to continue our momentum and strive to become one of our nation’s best institutions of higher education, standing for excellence in every way, we must invest in academics and programs in which we can compete at the highest level. It is more essential than ever that we invest our resources wisely, and consider fully how we meet our mission as a university.

Sincerely,

Stuart Rabinowitz
President, Hofstra University

http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/news_u ... 20309.html

Wasn't the main reason the CAA let Hofstra and NU in was football?

OT - CAA loses Hofstra football program

sheeez, guess we don't have to worry about the football schools splitting off and forming a basketball and football CAA conference. First NE then Hofstra. The way things are going we'll have plenty of bball only schools to pick. With the current tough economic conditions and the high cost of running a football team, I wouldn't be surprised to see more schools dropping particularly schools of the north outside the CAA.

Just me though, I would still like to field a football team.

:shock:

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press today, university president Stuart Rabinowitz says "the choice was painful but clear."

He says factors include the cost of running the Colonial Athletic Association team's football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

The decision follows a two-year review of sports spending at Hofstra. Rabinowitz says there are no plans to cut any other sports at the Long Island school.

Hofstra played two of the CAA's Virginia members this season: a 47-0 loss to Richmond and a 24-17 victory over James Madison.

Last week, Northeastern University in Boston dropped football after 74 years.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sport ... 02/309311/

Mercury said:
Wasn't the main reason the CAA let Hofstra and NU in was football?

It was part of it, but mostly it was so that the CAA could keep its basketball autobid after losing UR, ECU, & American ...plus an attempt to establish a foothold in the NYC and Boston markets.

Re: OT - CAA loses Hofstra football program

Already a thread on this in the OT

Both Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football is yet another reason VCU needs to proceed cautiously regarding football. Not many FCS football schools break even on football. If Richmond didn't have that huge endowment, they would also be considering dropping football. The jury is out for ODU. It's just too early to tell since they are still in the honeymoon phase. Honestly, I don't see how Georgia State is going to make it. They can't even get 1,000 people to come watch their basketball team and they have Georgia Tech just down the street and the Falcons on Sundays.

Wolfpack Ram said:
Both Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football is yet another reason VCU needs to proceed cautiously regarding football. Not many FCS football schools break even on football. If Richmond didn't have that huge endowment, they would also be considering dropping football. The jury is out for ODU. It's just too early to tell since they are still in the honeymoon phase. Honestly, I don't see how Georgia State is going to make it. They can't even get 1,000 people to come watch their basketball team and they have Georgia Tech just down the street and the Falcons on Sundays.

I'd be surprised if VCU basketball breaks even....but yes we do need to proceed cautiously but we need to proceed none the less.

We all know now isnt the time(budget cuts etc) But when the time comes we gotta be ready to go

Uhh dude NU's not going anywhere at least for the time being. We're probably in the CAA until the next conference realignment comes which I think is 2014(when I think is when the big east TV contract is up.) 8-) 8-) .

By the way we've done pretty well record wise since we've entered the CAA So it's not like we're bringing down the conference in any way.

How convenient just in time to plug in ODU and GSU football programs

Back