How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

Ryan Odom and his staff, IMO, had a very sloppy, lazy, uninspiring, mistake-filled portal effort in Year 1. They clearly undersold the VCU program (a Top 50 program nationally and a Top 3 non-P6 program).

Effective portal recruiting (which, for 2024-25, should require anywhere from 5-12 additions) will require:
1) Casting a wide net nationally and understanding the entire recruiting landscape (HS, D-1, D-2, etc)
2) Identifying realistic targets, performing meaningful research/analysis/talent evaluation, etc, setting higher standards (caliber of player)
3) Salesmanship - convincing the right kids to join the program (having a vision/style/brand/culture to sell)

Ryan, at age 50, and his staffs haven't (over the years) really demonstrated an ability to consistently (or even ever) recruit at a high (P6-ish) level, which is where our program currently resides (Top 50-ish). VCU's NCAA-caliber teams have typically had some P6-level talent/size/athleticism/etc (Graham, Hyland, Maynor, Baldwin, Burgess, Skeen, Sanders, V. Williams, Tillman, Weber, Daniels, Reddic, Watkins, Alie-Cox, Nunn, etc). We should be (and typically are) competing annually w/ programs like St Mary's, Dayton, Memphis, Cincinnati, San Diego St, Wichita St, BYU, Seton Hall, Providence, Ga Tech, etc (high-end non-P6 and lower-end P6 programs) for recruits and NCAA bids.

2024-25 Roster:
1)
Kuany/Bairstow - two (2 kids); gone
2) Wheeler/Nelson/Okafor - three (3) kids; find a lower level program for them
3) Jax/Bam/Max/Belle/Billups/Lawal/Fermin - seven (7) kids; this is your potential base (have conversations w/ each of them)
4) Jennings - one new HS addition (12 remaining spots)
5) Remaining schollies - portal (approx 5-12 additions depending on retention)

Notes:
1) Recruit "alphas" first; toughest players to land so sell them a relatively wide-open roster/starting spot/big minutes/most NIL (if any available/needed)
2) Take only "proven/productive/value-added" A-10/P6 quality players (avoid inefficient guys w/ minor to no roles from bad teams looking for a "fresh start" or looking to "come home;" avoid kids that their previous team is looking to "offload"); aim for the Brandon Johns, Zeb Jackson, Korey Billbury types.
3) Build a 13-man roster that looks and acts like a P6 roster (bigger, stronger, tougher, athletic, talented kids w/ a pedigree and a proven track record). VCU's best (NCAA) teams had that look/feel. The staff needs to aim for, and act like, a P6-level staff (in everything they do). That's how, as a program, you "punch up" in weight class.
4) Get the kids in the weight room (24/7)
These are some solid points you hit on. I agree Odom has not been a recruiter that brings in the highest star classes. But they may work to our advantage. Things have changed and I think mid majors are not going to be able land 4 stars and maybe not many 3 stars. And in rare cases they do, they will have spend a fortune to keep them from transferring.
I don't think it is possible to build rosters like we did in the past decade. Things have changed forever and we are going to have to find different ways to succeed.

Last edited:
No he wouldn’t, his struggles in the NFL had nothing to do with ability or style…..pay close attention the bar tab reference. He would have thrived in the Stabler/Jurgenson era, not today’s.
Well there is that, I was not aware of any propensity for partaking.

I'm apprehensive about the things that aren't under the program's control. I'm concerned we're about to see NCAA D1 Basketball become a defined set of levels, just like Minor League Baseball. Only difference is, instead of "The Organization" deciding who plays where, it's the chaos of an uncontrolled marketplace. Where VCU sits today, we'd be a solid AA program - but we'll probably never have the chance to move the team up to AAA. Only the players will move. So maybe, instead of taking enjoyment from watching a player develop over four years at VCU, I'll have to get it from watching players who pass through VCU make it all the way to the NBA. Dunno if it will feel the same - I'll just have to see.
This is really well said.

Yeah, it's not looking good.

So I feel today that the AD, the coach, and the program have done well with the things that are under their control. I think Odom is a good hire. He had to take a lot of swings to fill a very depleted roster. Some were solid, extra-base hits, including Shulga and Bamisile. Some weren't so solid, but the overall average was pretty good.

I'm apprehensive about the things that aren't under the program's control. I'm concerned we're about to see NCAA D1 Basketball become a defined set of levels, just like Minor League Baseball. Only difference is, instead of "The Organization" deciding who plays where, it's the chaos of an uncontrolled marketplace. Where VCU sits today, we'd be a solid AA program - but we'll probably never have the chance to move the team up to AAA. Only the players will move. So maybe, instead of taking enjoyment from watching a player develop over four years at VCU, I'll have to get it from watching players who pass through VCU make it all the way to the NBA. Dunno if it will feel the same - I'll just have to see.

Sorry for all the tortured baseball analogies. We'll have to see how many swings Odom has to take this off-season. My goals for every season won't change, but I figure my expectations about whether they can be achieved will be changing dramatically from one season to the next.
I'm more optimistic. I think many schools may fall by the wayside, but some will adjust and figure a way to maintain their level in spite of the obstacles. I think that's kinda what we do at VCU. The best example of this is how we've responded to 5 coaching changes is 20 years. We may not operate the same as we did a decade ago, but I'm hopeful the results will be similar, if not better.

Last edited:
I'm more optimistic. I think many schools may fall by the wayside, but some will adjust and figure a way to maintain their level in spite of the obstacles. I think that's kinda what we do at VCU. The best example of this is how we've responded to 5 coaching changes is 20 years. We may not operate the same as we did a decade ago, but I'm hopeful the results will be similar, if not better.
I agree, unless they start allowing teams to have 20 scholarship players.lol

Ryan Odom and his staff, IMO, had a very sloppy, lazy, uninspiring, mistake-filled portal effort in Year 1. They clearly undersold the VCU program (a Top 50 program nationally and a Top 3 non-P6 program).

Effective portal recruiting (which, for 2024-25, should require anywhere from 5-12 additions) will require:
1) Casting a wide net nationally and understanding the entire recruiting landscape (HS, D-1, D-2, etc)
2) Identifying realistic targets, performing meaningful research/analysis/talent evaluation, setting higher standards (caliber of player), etc.
3) Salesmanship - convincing the right kids to join the program (having a vision/style/brand/culture to sell)

Ryan, at age 50, and his staffs haven't (over the years) really demonstrated an ability to consistently (or even ever) recruit at a high (P6-ish) level, which is where our program currently resides (Top 50-ish). VCU's NCAA-caliber teams have typically had some P6-level talent/size/athleticism/etc (Graham, Hyland, Maynor, Baldwin, Burgess, Skeen, Sanders, V. Williams, Tillman, Weber, Daniels, Reddic, Watkins, Alie-Cox, Nunn, etc). We should be (and typically are) competing annually w/ programs like St Mary's, Dayton, Memphis, Cincinnati, San Diego St, Wichita St, BYU, Seton Hall, Providence, Ga Tech, etc (high-end non-P6 and lower-end P6 programs) for recruits and NCAA bids.

2024-25 Roster:
1)
Kuany/Bairstow - two (2 kids); gone
2) Wheeler/Nelson/Okafor - three (3) kids; find a lower level program for them
3) Jax/Bam/Max/Belle/Billups/Lawal/Fermin - seven (7) kids; this is your potential base (have conversations w/ each of them)
4) Jennings - one new HS addition (12 remaining spots)
5) Remaining schollies - portal (approx 5-12 additions depending on retention)

Notes:
1) Recruit "alphas" first; toughest players to land so sell them a relatively wide-open roster/starting spot/big minutes/most NIL (if any available/needed)
2) Take only "proven/productive/value-added" A-10/P6 quality players (avoid inefficient guys w/ minor to no roles from bad teams looking for a "fresh start" or looking to "come home;" avoid kids that their previous team is looking to "offload"); aim for the Brandon Johns, Zeb Jackson, Korey Billbury types.
3) Build a 13-man roster that looks and acts like a P6 roster (bigger, stronger, tougher, athletic, talented kids w/ a pedigree and a proven track record). VCU's best (NCAA) teams had that look/feel. The staff needs to aim for, and act like, a P6-level staff (in everything they do). That's how, as a program, you "punch up" in weight class.
4) Get the kids in the weight room (24/7)
Agreed

Right now, all the major programs still dancing or playing in the NIT are upset because the portal is now open but they are busy and don't have time to go out and look or host any portal recruits.

I gotta say. I'm kinda not feeling sorry for their elite eight asses. It's got to be so tough for them having all that money and not being able to spend it on new recruits.

Oh their recruiting don't worry. Maybe FAU couldn't do it in their final four but UConn is doing it. Nothing to feel sorry about. Except, maybe for some, waist managment.

Back