How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

We had a great season but I'm apprehensive about Odom recruiting strategy

Per the The Portal Report recruiting tracker, VCU has only shown interest in Guards and small forwards.

They're 60+ bigs available in the portal, half of which were averaging double digits per game at their previous stops.

If the elite 8 has proven once again...it's alot easier to make an NCAA run with consistent offensive post presence than just of bunch perimeter players jacking up 3's.

For the love of God, start pursuing a decent big!!

I mean Chad Venning would be low hanging fruit

Per the The Portal Report recruiting tracker, VCU has only shown interest in Guards and small forwards.

They're 60+ bigs available in the portal, half of which were averaging double digits per game at their previous stops.

If the elite 8 has proven once again...it's alot easier to make an NCAA run with consistent offensive post presence than just of bunch perimeter players jacking up 3's.

I'm sure we are casting a wide net well beyond what is publicly available so far.

I'm sure we are casting a wide net well beyond what is publicly available so far.
There's definitely a plan. Contact with folks that hasn't been reported yet, pursuing international players, or expected further development from Ferm and Tobi (and retaining them). Maybe all of the above.

There's definitely a plan. Contact with folks that hasn't been reported yet, pursuing international players, or expected further development from Ferm and Tobi (and retaining them). Maybe all of the above.

Well, we are now a half court team that plays at a slower pace than any vcu team in the last 18 years...neither Tobi nor Ferm neither project a frame big enough to compete and hang in a rock fight with a decent Power 5 big..

That's the key to getting to the second weekend next year..otherwise we've wasted Shulga, Zeb and Bam's covid years.

Well, we are now a half court team that plays at a slower pace than any vcu team in the last 18 years...

That's the key to getting to the second weekend next year..otherwise we've wasted Shulga, Zeb and Bam's covid years.
Two things

1. I would not try to define how RO and staff will play tempo wise based off of year 1. Forget the patchwork roster they had to put together. They had to mesh with new coaches, trainers etc. Next year should look different on a couple of fronts

2. I would worry about Max, Zeb, and Bam wasting a Covid year. If Zeb and Max are here, I'll by your Mason/VCU ticket myself

Two things

1. I would not try to define how RO and staff will play tempo wise based off of year 1. Forget the patchwork roster they had to put together. They had to mesh with new coaches, trainers etc. Next year should look different on a couple of fronts

2. I would worry about Max, Zeb, and Bam wasting a Covid year. If Zeb and Max are here, I'll by your Mason/VCU ticket myself
I would like to add a third thing:

3. Mason sucks

Two things

Still hopeful for Zeb. Will be amazed if Max is on next year's roster though.

Two things

I’d be shocked if Max returns. Zeb, I think, is likely to return.

I’d be shocked if Max returns. Zeb, I think, is likely to return.
Agreed.

I'm going to be honest with you, Max was our best player this season and certainly had his moments and showed talent. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'm fine with him coming back, wouldn't lose a ton of sleep if he didn't.

We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. This is the first off season of Odom and very likely we won’t hear much from his camp so to speak until pen hits the paper.

I would love Max coming back. We need good problems regarding depth. Max was our best player this past year, but I’m still trying to understand his really poor performance against Utah. He didn’t look engaged from the tip, missing easy bunnies he almost always makes. Just totally out of sync.

Watching him court side in Orlando tournament he gave his all on O and D. RO often had Belle bring ball up court just to give Max a blow. Yet we were in everyone one of those games. If we had Bam and Bairstow early season it would have saved so much wear on Max. Tough player. Great season. Always a Ram.

Agreed.

I'm going to be honest with you, Max was our best player this season and certainly had his moments and showed talent. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'm fine with him coming back, wouldn't lose a ton of sleep if he didn't.
Yeah, I like Max, I'll be happy if he comes back, but there was no one on this team that is not replaceable and maybe with a better player.

Back