How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

Yeah, I like Max, I'll be happy if he comes back, but there was no one on this team that is not replaceable and maybe with a better player.
My guess is that Max reinjured his shoulder vs UMass and and never really could shoot without pain v Duquesne nor in the NIT. Guessing he gutted it out as best he could and Odom believed he needed Max on the court, so some pretty weak stats down the stretch.

Agreed.

I'm going to be honest with you, Max was our best player this season and certainly had his moments and showed talent. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'm fine with him coming back, wouldn't lose a ton of sleep if he didn't.
That is sorta how I feel about Bairstow (not losing a ton of sleep that he is out of eligibility).

I personally loved watching Max play for VCU this year. He wasn't perfect by any means, but considering we had 3 dudes leave VCU to be starters at P5 schools, seeing Max have his best collegiate career while being an A10 First Teamer was refreshing.

Agreed.

I'm going to be honest with you, Max was our best player this season and certainly had his moments and showed talent. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'm fine with him coming back, wouldn't lose a ton of sleep if he didn't.

Max was first team all A-10. I definitely want him back, if he wants to come back. He basically carried the team on his shoulders during OOC play. And the guy was pretty much automatic from the free throw line during crunch time.

Agreed.

I won't lose sleep bc I don't expect him back but I would love it if he returns.

Max was first team all A-10. I definitely want him back, if he wants to come back. He basically carried the team on his shoulders during OOC play. And the guy was pretty much automatic from the free throw line during crunch time.
There's no denying his talent. But I grew tired of the casual, lackadaisical passes. The hit or miss effort on defense. The too frequent lack of focus on the court.

Don't get it twisted, I recognize his abilities. I'm fine if he returns, just not as the top dog. If he's the #3 player on the totem pole I'm good.

That is sorta how I feel about Bairstow (not losing a ton of sleep that he is out of eligibility).

I personally loved watching Max play for VCU this year. He wasn't perfect by any means, but considering we had 3 dudes leave VCU to be starters at P5 schools, seeing Max have his best collegiate career while being an A10 First Teamer was refreshing.
No doubt, I would hate to see what this season would've looked like without him.

Max was great, but whatever was going on at the end of the season, whether it's mental or physical. It just seemed like he was done.

If he were to come back renewed and ready to kick ass. Would love to have him. If he were to come back and just go through the motions of another season then not interested.

Max was great, but whatever was going on at the end of the season, whether it's mental or physical. It just seemed like he was done.

If he were to come back renewed and ready to kick ass. Would love to have him. If he were to come back and just go through the motions of another season then not interested.
There is really no benefit for him to come back just to "go through the motions".

There is really no benefit for him to come back just to "go through the motions".
I mentioned this during the NIT. However, during the season I thought Max was generally our best player on offense and became a really good defender through effort alone. He has a very quick release and when you set him up at all he knocks it down. If we had had a true point guard and could put Max as a receiving two he would be even better. He can create his own shot but he should be coming off screens 90% of the time. FWIW I totally believe he was injured during the NIT and could not relax or free himself like he did during the season. I discount all that and really hope he comes back and we add someone who can control the tempo of the game and/or be a physical presence in the paint to free up Max, Zeb, and Bam.

Here's what recently occurred to me: has there ever been a 1st team all-conference player at VCU I've ever felt so ambivalent about? I was thinking maybe Patrick Lee back in the day? Perhaps Brad Burgess (I really didn't think he deserved to be 1st team All-CAA his senior season)?

My guess is that Max reinjured his shoulder vs UMass and and never really could shoot without pain v Duquesne nor in the NIT. Guessing he gutted it out as best he could and Odom believed he needed Max on the court, so some pretty weak stats down the stretch.
The problem with that theory is how then did he shoot lights out vs. St. Joe’s? That was the game after UMASS.

I think Max was ready to turn the page and not that interested in the NIT.

The problem with that theory is how then did he shoot lights out vs. St. Joe’s? That was the game after UMASS.

I think Max was ready to turn the page and not that interested in the NIT.
Naw, I just had the games backwards. He was re-injured in the game he went off on, St Joes. Couldn't play like that again, even for a game that meant going to the NCAAs. He was hurting.

There's no denying his talent. But I grew tired of the casual, lackadaisical passes. The hit or miss effort on defense. The too frequent lack of focus on the court.

Don't get it twisted, I recognize his abilities. I'm fine if he returns, just not as the top dog. If he's the #3 player on the totem pole I'm good.

How many of those passes were missed catches. Two players are involved on every pass. You might want to look at VCU's stats before you throw him under the bus regarding his passing. Shulga led the team with 135 assists. Jackson was second with 119. Bairstow was third with 92. Shulga's assist/TO rate was 1.8. Jackson's was 1.83. Shulga also led the team in ppg at 14.

FYI. If you want to talk about bad passing, Bamisile had 16 assists and 31 TO's.

Good thing the coaches and media knew what they were doing when they voted Shulga to first team all A10.

Back