How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

There's no denying his talent. But I grew tired of the casual, lackadaisical passes. The hit or miss effort on defense. The too frequent lack of focus on the court.

Don't get it twisted, I recognize his abilities. I'm fine if he returns, just not as the top dog. If he's the #3 player on the totem pole I'm good.
Max was the best defensive rebounder and the third-best overall rebounder on the team, which is pretty impressive for a 6-4 guard. He also led the team in plus/minus.

Also, I don't think the issue was his passing, it was his targets catching them.

Max was great, but whatever was going on at the end of the season, whether it's mental or physical. It just seemed like he was done.

If he were to come back renewed and ready to kick ass. Would love to have him. If he were to come back and just go through the motions of another season then not interested.

The guy missed Senior Night due to a shoulder injury! If the effort wasn't there, he wouldn't have scored 25 against St. Joe's in the A-10 semifinals. The guy is playing college basketball while his family is still trying to survive in Ukraine. Pretty sure "mental" was not the issue.

It really amazes me that some posters could care less if VCU's best player this year on a 24-14 team, that was also first team all A-10, comes back next year! That ranks up there with the Coach Odom bashing by some posters this year when the guy hasn't even been here a full year, and won 24 games in his first year with a band aide roster! Some of you posters are starting to sound like Kentucky fans, and that's not good!!! :roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
Max was the best defensive rebounder and the third-best overall rebounder on the team, which is pretty impressive for a 6-4 guard. He also led the team in plus/minus.

Also, I don't think the issue was his passing, it was his targets catching them.
Shulga’s vision next to Bairstow is pretty elite. I mean you know pretty much any pass he threw to Fermin was a turnover. Same with Bairstow trying to dish to him.

Awfully quiet out there
I know this is unrelated, but I gotta say with the "extreme tornado watch" we've had going on in central va today, the line causing tornadoes on the ground east of here, but all hopefully pulling out to the east of the metro putting us in the clear (hopefully) as I type this, your post sounds GREAT right now.

How many of those passes were missed catches. Two players are involved on every pass. You might want to look at VCU's stats before you throw him under the bus regarding his passing. Shulga led the team with 135 assists. Jackson was second with 119. Bairstow was third with 92. Shulga's assist/TO rate was 1.8. Jackson's was 1.83. Shulga also led the team in ppg at 14.

FYI. If you want to talk about bad passing, Bamisile had 16 assists and 31 TO's.

Good thing the coaches and media knew what they were doing when they voted Shulga to first team all A10.
I'm not comfortable with Bam being our top dog either.

A pass that doesn't even make it to its target is usually not on the recipient.

I'm not comfortable with Bam being our top dog either.

A pass that doesn't even make it to its target is usually not on the recipient.
I think chemistry is part of the the issue from last season. If Bam, Max, and Zeb have a real off season to get it together as a unit, the rest of the guys will fall into line. That's being optimistic of course, but right now there's no reason not to be.

It really amazes me that some posters could care less if VCU's best player this year on a 24-14 team, that was also first team all A-10, comes back next year! That ranks up there with the Coach Odom bashing by some posters this year when the guy hasn't even been here a full year, and won 24 games in his first year with a band aide roster! Some of you posters are starting to sound like Kentucky fans, and that's not good!!! :roll::roll::roll:
He would be one of the best returning players we have had in recent memory.

For me it's more about the culture shift in how our team plays, which is often dictated by your best player. Every thing you referenced is true. I'm just not a big fan of our best player playing with some of the attributes Shulga displays on occasion. Kinda similar to the season Larry Sanders became our #1 guy. He also had all of the accolades and stats in the world, but what were the bottom line results at the end of the season?

I'm open to our program moving away from Havoc. I just hope we don't abandon all of the attributes from our previous teams that became our identity and reputation.

And you don't have to be diplomatic with "some posters," this is basically just a singular opinion from me. I don't mind shots directed at me. Don't be concerned about my "feelings" not being validated. :D

Last edited:
For me it's more about the culture shift in how our team plays, which is often dictated by your best player. Every thing you referenced is true. I'm just not a big fan of our best player playing with some of the attributes Shulga displays on occasion. Kinda similar to the season Larry Sanders because our #1 guy. He also had all of the accolades and stats in the world, but what were the bottom line results at the end of the season?

I'm open to our program moving away from Havoc. I just hope we don't abandon all of the attributes from our previous teams that became our identity and reputation.

And you don't have to be diplomatic with "some posters," this is basically just a singular opinion from me. I don't mind shots directed at me. Don't be concerned about my "feelings" not being validated. :D
When you lose your coaching staff and 9 scholarship players you no longer have an identity.

I think chemistry is part of the the issue from last season. If Bam, Max, and Zeb have a real off season to get it together as a unit, the rest of the guys will fall into line. That's being optimistic of course, but right now there's no reason not to be.
Bam practiced with the team in the offseason last year. He didn't play in games for a while, but he did have an entire offseason.

Wrong

The Program always wins…coaches come and go …players come and go but this program continues to win..that’s VCU identity

You can leave but you ain’t taking the “Program “ with ya
Winning is not an identity but we were still winning.

Back