How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

Hmm.- 2 freshmen 3 or 4 star guards. A starter for a p6 on an elite 8 team, and the 6th man award winner from a conference.

I say better than a C
Precisely. Also, both Theus and Odom said this past week that they’re not just looking for the guy with the most accolades. They’re looking for the RIGHT guy. I’d say last year’s recruiting haul was pretty damned good, considering. Michael Belle looks like a star, for instance.

Precisely. Also, both Theus and Odom said this past week that they’re not just looking for the guy with the most accolades. They’re looking for the RIGHT guy. I’d say last year’s recruiting haul was pretty damned good, considering. Michael Belle looks like a star, for instance.
Theus did say the wanted the right guy and he also said...we want dogs!

Given that none of us actually know the situation that Odom and VCU is in regarding NIL and how these players are making or not making commitments I do not see how we would be upset with recruitment either this year or last. As many of you noted we will be guard hungry next year so coach had to recruit first year point guards. Looks like he did well to get two different kind of players. This year he was able to keep everyone except Tobi which was not surprise to me (not counting Max). Clark is a great find and if healthy is just what we need. The current five returning players are good to excellent based on prior performance or potential. IMO I join all of you and believe if we can add one more physical 4/5 rebounder/defender we will compete with anyone. To me that is pretty darn good! Forever an optimist, GO RAMS. How many games did we win last year? What were the expectations? Just saying.

Some people had extremely unrealistic expectations last year.
I admit I had inflated expectations last year. After attending tournament in Olando I adjusted those (significantly) to realizing we likely needed to win A10 tournament. We were in each game in Orlando. IF we had Bam and Bairstow I believe outcomes would have been different and better aligned with my expectations. During this recruiting window I’m not crazy about idea of 8-9 player roster. Injuries and qualification issues play a serious role any given season. I really like getting two Freshmen pg, for example, as “just in case” insurance. I like what staff is doing, more to come! 🤞

All things considered is was a pretty dang good season. 25 wins (is that what it was?) ain't nothing to sneeze at. If just a couple of things had been different this would have been a crazy awesome team last year.
Don't talk about Patrick in this manner. You may open up another full-page discussion on feelings. LOL

I do hereby validate your feelings and I applaud you on posting feelings on the feelings page where reality is always unacceptable. :o)

Don't talk about Patrick in this manner. You may open up another full-page discussion on feelings. LOL

I do hereby validate your feelings and I applaud you on posting feelings on the feelings page where reality is always unacceptable. :o)
Who is Patrick?

I don't know what to make of how he'd have helped us, honestly. Just a could've would've should've thing, but with what we actually had on board.. just kinda feel like every team should have a counselor on hand if they don't already. And if we did, I know a better one. Maybe I'm not touching the actual base here, but feel like a lot of what we missed out on as a program last year could have been alleviated in terms of shortcomings with some dedicated counseling assistance.

I don't know what to make of how he'd have helped us, honestly. Just a could've would've should've thing, but with what we actually had on board.. just kinda feel like every team should have a counselor on hand if they don't already. And if we did, I know a better one. Maybe I'm not touching the actual base here, but feel like a lot of what we missed out on as a program last year could have been alleviated in terms of shortcomings with some dedicated counseling assistance.
You have touched the base and are actually safe at home. Is that statement allowed {this isn't the baseball thread}? sorry

We’re in an era where seasons overlap each other. If VCU’s definition of success is making the NCAA tournament, the season can be derailed even before it officially begins.

Transfers
Missed recruits
Scheduling
Injuries

Once the games begin it becomes more of the standard
Poor Play
Coaching decisions
Running into a hot team

Not really anything new, but maybe more pronounced in the recruiting phase with the NIL and Portal.

Back