How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

I think we are kind of going down a rabbit hole here. Therefore, let me reset the argument. My premise is that fit and our coach/coaching staff wanting and signing a player is a far better indicator of a players success with us, than what other schools offered a player.

I stand behind that and I’d bet if you ask the HC would as well. I think any HC would trust what he or his staff sees over another staff. We’ve had some misses with lightly recruited players. However, many of those lightly recruited guys were never expected to star here just fill a gap.

As to Tre he was lightly recruited but expected to star here as he could “score the ball”.

Again, I dont think we should get giddy because a kid has P5 offers and be concerned because another player didn’t. I trust the HC’s opinion over all.
Yeah see I still disagree.

I'd absolutely think a kid with a handful of legit offers from peer schools or above would work out better than a kid nobody else wanted, and I think the data would support that conclusion.

Yeah see I still disagree.

I'd absolutely think a kid with a handful of legit offers from peer schools or above would work out better than a kid nobody else wanted, and I think the data would support that conclusion.
In this world of NIL hype and at a school like VCU, who is not going to be anything close to a heavyweight in NIL offerings, then you have to think outside the box and try to find kids that aren't chasing the almighty $$$ or maybe even using us a pawn to get a better offer elsewhere. Or staying here a year and then bolting. If that is what Odom is trying to do, then he is on the right path. There is no guarantee it will work and kids we recruit will either not be up to the talent level, or bolt for $1 more the next year. But it's worth a try. Us pretending that we are going to be a top 25 NIL program, or anything remotely close to that is nonsense. So maybe Odom is doing the best play he has and that some of these recruits are wired differently

Last edited:
Maybe they will all come in as freshmen and by the time they get to their second year, that mystery $10 mil. donor will come out of the woodwork and fund our collective.

I guess it is possible, right?

In the early stages of legal bags I think some football schools will have to deemphasize basketball and will be in opportune for maybe a top 50 or so. At least I can dream, right?

Signed, Brandon Jennings 6'4" guard considered one the best high school players in Virginia, Phillip Russell 5"11" guard 6th man in WAC, Jack Clark 6"10" starting forward for Clemson, and Terrence Hill Jr. 6"3" guard, considered by many who analyze recruiting ,the number one high school basketball player in Oregon. I think VCU is doing a heck of a job to date with their recruiting. I believe the coaching staff is going to finish this already strong recruiting class to be a very hard team to beat next year.
Agree... I think with the number of players who went into the portal there were some "panic" signings by both coaches and players... I would bet that Odom has his eye on several big men and in discussions with some... Watch things play out...

Honestly there three things that determine by and large where a kid goes to school.
1. Max value and who will pay it
2. Can you help facilitate their pro aspirations
3. Can they win a championship of some kind

Number 3 used to be (Make it to the dance but NIL has modified that)

In this world of NIL hype and at a school like VCU, who is not going to be anything close to a heavyweight in NIL offerings, then you have to think outside the box and try to find kids that aren't chasing the almighty $$$ and maybe even using us a pawn, to get a better offer elsewhere. Or staying here a year and then bolting. If that is what Odom is trying to do, then he is on the right path. There is no guarantee it will work and kids we recruit will either not be up to the talent level, or bolt for $1 more the next year. But it's worth a try. Us pretending that we are going to be a top 25 NIL program, or anything remotely close to that is nonsense. So maybe Odom is doing the best play he has and that some of these recruits are wired differently
COMPLETELY agree. For me, it is the greatest thing in the world watching players develop here, finding the unfound, and yeah I'm woke to the slept on. Those iso nothing but the highest rated trade player really should watch the NBA instead of VCU hoops. Recruiting high school players is and always has been VCU. Sticking to our roots is what defines us and keeps us from becoming some sort of Johnny Come Lately that never will keep up with the big money programs. And yeah... I have no desire to watch programs stocked with other programs handmedowns regardless of talent. If I wanted to watch that kind of high level trading of players, college hoops teams purely defined by it are third rate to the NBA. If one of those programs beats out others in their conference, and perhaps wins a championship purely by writing macka checks to the best developed players on the auction block, I'm not really sure what making to the members only club tourney and coming back with a national title means any more. There's a difference between the professional and College hoops. I hope some out there aren't losing sight of what exactly it is.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't state there were millions of players that nobody wanted that were supposed to be relevant. I said literally the exact opposite thing. The players nobody else wants are rarely supposed to be relevant and almost every time, they aren't.

For every Briante there's 1000 gerron scissums and pj Byrds and tre simmons and marquell frasers and djonkams and tyler mayes and xavier jacksons and medley-bacons and etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Our coach "wanting a player" means diddly jack fudgeing poop as to whether or not he'll be a good player for us.
Savage or sandwich!

In this world of NIL hype and at a school like VCU, who is not going to be anything close to a heavyweight in NIL offerings, then you have to think outside the box and try to find kids that aren't chasing the almighty $$$ and maybe even using us a pawn, to get a better offer elsewhere. Or staying here a year and then bolting. If that is what Odom is trying to do, then he is on the right path. There is no guarantee it will work and kids we recruit will either not be up to the talent level, or bolt for $1 more the next year. But it's worth a try. Us pretending that we are going to be a top 25 NIL program, or anything remotely close to that is nonsense. So maybe Odom is doing the best play he has and that some of these recruits are wired differently

Ironic how everyone was claiming VCU was a top 25 program after opening up the BDC and now VCU can't even compete with other schools in its league regarding NIL. Ed has been sucking the season ticket holders/fan base dry the last ten+ years when it comes to donations. Now, when he needs them, he can't get them. The top fund raiser in the athletic department quit after only 16 months on the job. It's been forever since the arena sold any type of naming rights and the BDC has never sold any naming rights.

Maybe it's time for VCU athletics to take a hard look at their business model if they want to compete.

I think you are right that we need more business people in the athletic department. Also, winning solves everything, so there is that.

I think you are right that we need more business people in the athletic department. Also, winning solves everything, so there is that.
I’m still baffled as to why the AD doesn’t leverage VCU’s Brand Center.

Why? What can students and faculty at the brand center do for us? This is way over their heads. As the OP implies, we need real, accomplished business people not more academia people.
People that graduated from the Brand Center, worked in the industry for 10+ years and managed to claw there way to the top in there field are not the same as the students and faculty currently in the classrooms. They are also very expensive and will suggest things that are contrary to the current line of VCU thinking. Two things that will not go over well.

Why? What can students and faculty at the brand center do for us? This is way over their heads. As the OP implies, we need real, accomplished business people not more academia people.
People that graduated from the Brand Center, worked in the industry for 10+ years and managed to claw there way to the top in there field are not the same as the students and faculty currently in the classrooms. They are also very expensive and will suggest things that are contrary to the current line of VCU thinking. Two things that will not go over well.

Look at some awful commercials VCU has put out lately. Not sure the brand center would help tbh. In fact it might be quite the contrary.

Is the Brand Center a service department for the university or is it an academic program meant to educated students at the graduate level?

Your statement is similar to student organizations starting an intramural basketball program for students and then saying perhaps the athletic department can help out by by have Odom and the coaching staff conduct practices at the BDC for all the students team and allow them use of the whirlpools, weightroom with Roose training them, etc.

Just because we have various academic/athletic departments does not mean they provide other services to the university.....at least not large services.

Back