I KNEW THIS DAY WAS COMING....

BigE

Elite Member
...just got my letter in the mail from VCU Athletics with season ticket renewal.
Some of us will now have to pony up more money to maintain our present seat.
There are now new levels of giving to get certain seats.
No problem! :ugeek:

Like I said , I knew........!!!!

Good thing are seldom cheap and cheap things are seldom good

I also heard that you will need to be a full-time student to get in free next year.
Anybody got the low down on this?

Red_I_Ram said:
I also heard that you will need to be a full-time student to get in free next year.
Anybody got the low down on this?

That's hte word on the street.

All VCU students who are currently enrolled in full-time, degree seeking programs at VCU can get into all home contests free of charge. Students are REQUIRED to bring your valid student ID card to the designated student entrance, located at the east/front entrance of the Siegel Center. All student IDs will be scanned at the door to determine whether or not your ID is valid. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure their ID is valid and in working condition. VCU Athletics reserves the right to turn away any students whose ID cards are not valid. Any issues with ID cards should be handled at the VCU Card office.

Red_I_Ram said:
So part-time Grad student doesnt cut anymore?

That sucks

Recent graduates can join the Ram Athletic Fund and get double credit for their donations, thus making prime seats a slightly more attainable.

What about students who are only taking the 2 classes that they have left to graduate? That doesn't make them full-time but they have no choice. :?

Emit Remmus said:
What about students who are only taking the 2 classes that they have left to graduate? That doesn't make them full-time but they have no choice. :?

I know it's unfortunate, but you COULD take more classes than you need to graduate. I guarantee that's the logic that is being used.

the new giving levels for seats for regular fans dont bother me. Its probably gonna be upgraded every few years or so.

I have to say that I hate the new policy regarding treating the part time students differently than the full time students. I was both a part time and a full time VCU student (my job would significantly heat up during the spring semester and i had to be more flexible with my education). If VCU students were flooding every game and all student tickets were sold out every game, then ok...i could maybe see why that is needed. However, throwing up a barrier to a segment of the VCU student population only ensures that part-time students will be less likely to feel connected to the team and will certainly not be 'VCU basketball lifers' who buy season tickets and donate money.

I feel the same way reguarding the part time student deal. I was part time my final semester because I only had 2 classes left to take in order to graduate. If the new rule would have been in place then not only would I have had to pay to get into games but I would not have been eligable for the 6th man rewards program either. Who knows how things would have worked out, but if I had not been able to get in the games with my student ID my last semester and not been able to get any of the rewards that might have left a bad taste in my mouth that could have prevented me from attending all of the games the following season.

you could always pay like the rest of us since a part-time student has more opportunity to work and therefore has more of an ability to PAY.

BigE said:
you could always pay like the rest of us since a part-time student has more opportunity to work and therefore has more of an ability to PAY.

this is a joke, right? I worked and was able to write a check for tuition to VCU- As many could attest on this board, I was by no means living any better lifestyle than the typical full time student. After I paid my tuition, I was living on the same budget that a regular full time student was living on (probably less than the normal kid from a two-parent home). It makes no sense to penalize someone for meeting their financial obligations promptly. What bothers me is that such an act creates two 'classes' of VCU students. I think the athletic department sets a bad example that some students should be given preferential treatment. After all, the student activity fee is still a percentage of my tuition (on a per credit hour basis).

Perhaps I should be allowed to take out fewer books from the library...or be able to join fewer clubs...after all, these are funded by our fees. Where shall we draw the line?

No, it's not a joke. If you're only taking two classes you are working more so you can pay more.

Or, do as I stated above. If you only have two required classes left to finish your degree, it doesn't mean you are only allowed to take those two. Take a full load your last semester anyway. Learn more. Take more classes. Take advantage of the fact that you're attending a great school with a very wide array of potential courses!

Don't forget about the young alum program where you get double priority points and a discount on your season tickets for the first 5 years after you graduate.

Sometimes said:
No, it's not a joke. If you're only taking two classes you are working more so you can pay more.

Or, do as I stated above. If you only have two required classes left to finish your degree, it doesn't mean you are only allowed to take those two. Take a full load your last semester anyway. Learn more. Take more classes. Take advantage of the fact that you're attending a great school with a very wide array of potential courses!

My problem lies with the notion that students are paying activity fees and yet are getting nothing for that contribution to the athletic department. Additionally, I have a problem with the creation of two classes of student when both pay into the system. I pay for basketball tickets up here at school (I think its like 5 bucks or so per game) and I have no problem with that because undergrad and grad both pay. If VCU wants to go to a pay system, thats fine as well...it should just be implemented uniformly throughout the program.

Back