Inside the NBA: Charles Barkley mentions VCU

VCU CAD03

Elite Member
During the Oklahoma Thunder vs Utah Jazz highlights, Charles Barkley made the following comment after they showed Eric stealing the ball from Okur and making the layup: "Guy did a heck of a job at VCU, coached by my good friend Anthony Grant, he's at Alabama...traitor...ahem"

If there is one guy that tells it like it is, Charles Barkley is it. It was interesting to hear how he described Grant's move to Alabama. He actually cut the host Ernie Johnson who was providing the highlights to make his comment. I had to re-play it a few times to make sure that I did not misunderstood his statement. The show aired on New Year's Eve on TNT and NBA TV. Of course, just like the Oklahoma game probably a few people saw this. Nevertheless, it's always a good thing when VCU is mentioned on national tv.

I thought I would share some pictures I took of Eric when the Thunder played the Wizards this past Tuesday. During warm ups, he acknowledged my brother and I right away once he saw the VCU gear...classy as always. Even though we were playing East Carolina that night, there were a few VCU fans representing at the Verizon Center.

maynor_11.jpg

maynor_2.jpg

maynor_12.jpg

maynor_4.jpg

maynor_10.jpg

maynor_5.jpg

maynor_9.jpg

Re: Inside the NBA: Charles Barkley mentions VCU and a traitor?

Barkley's comments about Grant being a traitor were almost certainly a joking reference to Barkley having played at Auburn. 'Bama and Auburn comprise one of the most hated rivalries in the country.

I'm guessing that Sir Charles' traitor comment was probably more the thoughts of an Auburn alum against arch-rival 'bama than it was aimed at how he treated VCU

d'oh, 'bunctious beat me to it ;)

artRAMinMN said:
I'm guessing that Sir Charles' traitor comment was probably more the thoughts of an Auburn alum against arch-rival 'bama than it was aimed at how he treated VCU

d'oh, 'bunctious beat me to it ;)

You are right...blinded by the comment that I totally forgot about the rivalry. Good pub for VCU anyways.

Yeah, fun free wheeling comments by Barkley.

He adopted VCU under Coach Sonny Smith, who recruited/coached Barkley. Nice of him to keep VCU "alive" on airwaves, while aslo taking a dig at his former in-state while rival at Auburn [Alabama]. Barkley seems too like VCU's coaches...their records make him look wise.

Yeah it may have been the SEC rivalry thing and it might not....Barkley donated a big chunk of cash to VCU when the Stu was built and had ties to Smith and former asst coach Gerald White who was Barkleys teammate at Auburn.

Back