Is Larry staying 4yrs?

Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Posts
1,682
Likes
1,212
Just wondering like everyone else!

We have:

4-FR
3-SO
5-JR
2-SR

With some confidence I believe Sanders is staying. Only reason I can see for signing another perimeter player. Brandenburg is a steal and Smart locked-up the best player at this time. Perhaps people are leaving but this leads me to think that with Sanders and Skeen here next year we can get a few bigs maybe this yr and next. 5-JR, 3 of which are perimeter guys. So opinions please????
 
So opinions please????

my opinion is that larry sanders needs to play smart, disciplined basketball, stay out of foul trouble, keep his head in the game, and lead by example as an upperclassman should. until he does those things consistently, there should be no talk of him leaving early.

as for signing additional post players, well, we can always use good big men.
 
buckwheat said:
So opinions please????

my opinion is that larry sanders needs to play smart, disciplined basketball, stay out of foul trouble, keep his head in the game, and lead by example as an upperclassman should. until he does those things consistently, there should be no talk of him leaving early.

as for signing additional post players, well, we can always use good big men.

Agreed Larry needs not simply stay but DEVELOP
 
One way to look at is that Coach Smart is a great recruiter and he may recruit Larry to stay. With that being said I feel that Coach Smart would only do this if he felt like it was the right thing for Larry and the program. He does not strike me as a Calipari type of person, if you know what I mean.
 
It's still a win-win (for Larry and VCU) if he leaves early...two straight first round picks from two players with entirely different games would get us a lot of media attention and would certainly be a great talking point for Shaka and staff.
 
If he has anywhere near the season we all expect him to have, no way he comes back for another season. With a thin crop of big men projected for next year's draft, he'll be able to set up himself (and his family) financially just on potential alone.

Even as a VCU fan, if he's a lock first-rounder, I say he'd be foolish to stay. Get the guaranteed money while you can and then if you blow out a knee and are never the same player, at least you've got financial security.
 
AG_fan said:
If he has anywhere near the season we all expect him to have, no way he comes back for another season. With a thin crop of big men projected for next year's draft, he'll be able to set up himself (and his family) financially just on potential alone.

Even as a VCU fan, if he's a lock first-rounder, I say he'd be foolish to stay. Get the guaranteed money while you can and then if you blow out a knee and are never the same player, at least you've got financial security.


He would be a fool not to


Has any other VCU player gone pro before his Senior season?
 
Larry is unusual in that he started his playing career so late and is now jumping onto pro-talent radar screens based on his physical attributes, mostly wingspan and shot blocking.

To me this question is critical relative to my comment a week or so prior to Brandenburg's campus visit--I'm trying to understand IF Larry is going next year (for sure) why we would continue chasing guards? [not questionign coaches, just perplexed]. We know TJ and K must leave, and IF Larry leaves, "skinny" would over emphasis our returning front court depth.

Based on Larry's late start in BB, another year of BB IQ development and physical maturing will only help him. I'm also wondering if Coach Smart hasn't be having similar conversations with Larry? If not or if coaches are 50/50 regarding confidence of his return, then we MUST sign two quality bigs immediately. I know we have two that fall in that category with schedueled visits.

Keeping my fingers crossed Larry stays AND we sign two bigs! That would give Larry blows during his sr. year, ease in the new kids, and allow Larry a final year to round out areas of weakness. It would put in in a potential top 5 situation if he continues projected path of development, but so much of this varies by year; however, with all the new forgein players joining NBA draft, I think a senior year and higher certain draft is wiser for Larry.
 
If we get to the big dance and win a game or two, I see him leaving and making lottery pick dinero.

If we dont get to the big dance like everyone outside of the ram nation expects us to, I can see Larry staying with a chip on his shoulder...and hopefulllly taking that chip to Tuscaloosa :D :D :D
 
Larry is going to do what is best for him and his family. Selfishly, I would love for him to stay through his senior year and get his degree and become one of the best player in VCU and CAA history; however if Larry has a great season this year and lives up to the potential that everyone is expecting and leads VCU into the NCAA tournament, he will more then likely be a high first or second round NBA choice and forgo his senior year. Whatever he does, we will support him and wish him continued sucess.
 
So here is a question for everyone. If Larry does leave after this year for the NBA, would VCU ever consider retiring his jersey? All of the players who have their jerseys retired have graduated from VCU. Kendrick Warren did not have his jersey retired until the day he graduated, which was several years after playing at VCU. If Larry wants his jersey retired, I say he has to graduate like everyone else.
 
Wolfpack Ram said:
So here is a question for everyone. If Larry does leave after this year for the NBA, would VCU ever consider retiring his jersey? All of the players who have their jerseys retired have graduated from VCU. Kendrick Warren did not have his jersey retired until the day he graduated, which was several years after playing at VCU. If Larry wants his jersey retired, I say he has to graduate like everyone else.

That's my understanding as well. He would not have it retired until he has received a degree. Granted, If I was given the option between a 3 year, multimillion dollar contract or having my jersey hanging from the rafters, it'd be a no brainer.
 
Larry hasn't done anything to put his name on the bottom of the list for jersey retirement
 
If he has a breakthrough season no....if he has an average season whick I dont think he will and I hope not then he will be back for a fourth season.. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
 
Back
Top