Isiah....

I hope IG gets some minutes here eventually. I thought he played really well in the exhibition game. The kid is lightning fast and seemed to get good dribble penetration with great kickouts to the shooters. A few more of those threes fall and the kid would have had 4 or 5 assists in 5 minutes of play. I assume we'll see him in some of the CAA games. At least I hope we'll see him.

Depends I'm guessing Theus was either sick or got suspended. Might help Grayson get some burn. Daniels got some and played decent might also go in Graysons favor.

I don't understand why Coach Smart played him in the Bethune-Cookman game. I think he would have been a perfect candidate to be redshirted this year. He can't be reshirted now since he played in the first game and he is riding the pine. What a waste of one year of eligibility.

Wolfpack Ram said:
I don't understand why Coach Smart played him in the Bethune-Cookman game. I think he would have been a perfect candidate to be redshirted this year. He can't be reshirted now since he played in the first game and he is riding the pine. What a waste of one year of eligibility.
I don't believe that is true. You can play in a certain number of games and still be red shirted. Last year unc red shirted marcus ginyard after he played some minutes. I'm not sure what the actual limit is.

Wolfpack Ram said:

I'm sure coach has his reasons...maybe just living up to a recruiting promise? Plus our PG position is far from solid so maybe he wants to give the kid a chance to shine?

who knows but Smart

vcu_dan said:
Wolfpack Ram said:
I don't believe that is true. You can play in a certain number of games and still be red shirted. Last year unc red shirted marcus ginyard after he played some minutes. I'm not sure what the actual limit is.

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

from the NCAA

Ginyard took a medical redshirt

Mercury said:
Depends I'm guessing Theus was either sick or got suspended. Might help Grayson get some burn. Daniels got some and played decent might also go in Graysons favor.

Anybody know why Theus didn't play?

I thought a redshirt might have been good also.

Mercury said:
vcu_dan said:
Wolfpack Ram said:

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

from the NCAA

Ginyard took a medical redshirt

David Hinton redshirted this past year. Did he play any last year? Seems like he did. Did David also take a medical redshirt?

I dont recall Hinton playing last season his only collegiate action was vs BCU

I was very impressed with all 3 of the freshmen in the BC game, but at the same time they were by far the weakest team we have played this year....

I think one of the reasons that Isiah came to VCU was because he wouldn't have to redshirt. Since he is so young (17) most other schools wanted him to redshirt his first season.

Unless one of our point guards gets hurt or we have big leads in a game, I don't see Grayson playing much this year. He appears to have great potential but needs to mature physically and learn the college game. Hopefully he does not get too discouraged and leaves the program. His time will come w/ patcience and perserverence.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Isiah....
by VCU Finance 2008 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I think one of the reasons that Isiah came to VCU was because he wouldn't have to redshirt. Since he is so young (17) most other schools wanted him to redshirt his first season.

While I have no inside perspective this makes the most sense to me.

At 17 and still physically developing, Isiah has nothing but upside. Patience is difficult anytime in life, but especially when you're young. Grayson will be a VERY big contributor by his junior and senior season's...if he stays positive and keeps working.

I was VERY impressed by Grayson in limited minutes...would love to see him get some PT. Very exciting kid to watch.

Back