Jacob "The Wunderkinder" Patrick

I think it's been pointed out that Patrick's father went to Germany in 2003 to coach. Patrick was born in November of that same year. If we assume that his mother was in Germany at the time, then he was indeed born in Germany. However, there's no way his parents could have been legal residents of Germany for eight years.

The second naturalization path that you quoted is possible, but seems unlikely. As a result, it's extremely likely that he's an American citizen who did not grow up in the U.S.

There is no mention of the requirements being need to be met at time of birth. It's very possible they applied for citizenship once eligible. Patrick would not be playing for the German U16 in the European Championships if he didn't have German Citizenship.

Last edited:

"This was Jake's best season being on the pro team, playing with pros every day. This was his first season without school, so he was able to concentrate solely on basketball," King said of Patrick's development.
"He's playing against guys who played in the NBA, future NBA players. And he had a really good season, shot close to 40% (from 3) for us, had games where he led us in scoring. So we were happy he was here with us this year."
"But he's going to really adapt well at VCU. Shooting is a skill that translates," King said.
"He's a tough kid, can play on both sides of the ball, he's not just a shooter. We preach defense every day, so he's going to be able to play defense and guard those athletic guards in the Atlantic 10."
"I'm excited for him to get to VCU. He's an unselfish, two-way player," King said.
"A lot of times when you've got guys who can shoot the ball like him, people overlook their defense. But I think you're going to be surprised, and Ram Nation will like his action on both sides of the ball. I'm excited to see how he does there, and excited to see how coach Odom does in his first year."

We were just calling him that because when the Jacob Patrick buzz started, people just referred to him as "the German". Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but making a Hogan's Heroes reference given exactly what that show was about is one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid things I've ever seen DL do on this forum.
his nickname is Jake if you must have one.

European athletes have been incredibly successful with the golf and tennis programs, maybe that will be a good pipeline for bball to start tapping into in this new college bball landscape.

Is he our European Shriver? Maybe more athletic?

European athletes have been incredibly successful with the golf and tennis programs, maybe that will be a good pipeline for bball to start tapping into in this new college bball landscape.

Is he our European Shriver? Maybe more athletic?
I would hope he's a little more versatile than Shriver.

This is developing into one of the most intriguing VCU rosters in recent memory. A mix of a lot of different types of players with different backgrounds and experience. I can see us being in the middle of the pack in the pre-season poll and end up one of the best teams in the A-10. Or we could struggle with so many new faces.

More and more, this German import reminds me of Tim Binns. After transferring from Minnesota, the 6-5 Binns averaged 12.2 points and 4.8 rebounds in 1977, hitting .815 from the foul stripe. There was no Arc de Three-umph in those days. In '78, Binns lost many of his minutes to freshman Danny Kottak, aka "The Instamatic.," who might also be compared to Patrick, Brower, Mobley and Shriver.

I would hope he's a little more versatile than Shriver.

This is developing into one of the most intriguing VCU rosters in recent memory. A mix of a lot of different types of players with different backgrounds and experience. I can see us being in the middle of the pack in the pre-season poll and end up one of the best teams in the A-10. Or we could struggle with so many new faces.
I would be surprised if we’re outside the top five in the preseason polls, but I would absolutely expect the team to struggle at least a little bit at the beginning of the season. Odom would be well served to schedule a couple of cupcakes to start the year.

Back