Joey - J-Rod

Mercury said:
ndnballer09 said:
FWIW, Joey is not practicing today..

Wonder if he will be like our Brian Westbrook

never practice but show up on game day and dominate
And then end up with two concussions and miss all of his last year :( :( :( :| I hope not.

I am extremely comfortable with Darius on the floor handling the rock and running the show..........in fact, if the kid got 30-32 minutes per game and was told he's gotta be the man running the show, I'm sure you'd see 10-12 ppg's, 5 dimes, some solid perimeter D, steals, etc. He actually has a pretty nice 3-ball stroke, some nice handle, good moves/burst, goes strong to the rack, initiates contact and can finish, has good court awareness/vision, etc. Love his size, build, demeanor, skill set. I'd love to see him get 30+ minutes against JMU. His ability to defend Cam Long, Chaisson Allen, Kent Bazemore, etc. might come in handy at the Coliseum.

He has a Maynor-ish quality (and look) about him............just wish he could get more consistent burn. That 22 minutes against Akron was just a preview of his ability/production if he was given the requisite minutes/touches/shots/confidence............reminds me so much of Eric's frosh campaign.

I love when we play Darius, Burgess, Nixon, Skeen, and Larry together...........unfortunately, and surprisingly, it's rare.

I don't know about the Maynor comparison. Maynor showed flashes of great playmaking ability even in his limited freshman minutes. Still waiting to see more flashes of Theus as a distributor and having the ability to get in the lane.

Yeah, I still have the visual of Maynor in that ODU game where came in and drove to the hoop at will. They didn't know what hit them.

Joey is going to be rested quite a bit till the tournament. They want him ready to win 4 in 4.

That's good news. We will need a rested Joey to do well in the tourney. I felt that in the past two years he was worn down some by this time of the season. I'm not saying he did not play well, but maybe just a half step slower.I would love to see JRod in peak physical form and fire in his eyes when we start play at the old brown spaceship.

Some twitter stalking

vcujrod12 people droppin like flies at practice today lol we still good tho.

looks like bit t might be hurting too

4BigTvcu305 In class knee hurtin like at MF

They must be having some spirited practices!

Also, we don't win at ODU without JRod contributing significantly. I think Theus has improved, but a freshman PG at ODU?...I don't think he's improved that much. Shaka needs to watch what happens with the top 4 teams this week and decide whether a win at ODU would get us into the top 4. If so, Joey needs to be on the floor if he can go. If W&M or GMU tank their last two I believe we can sneak into the 4 seed- - stranger things have happened.

Rambunctious said:

Also, we don't win at ODU without JRod contributing significantly. I think Theus has improved, but a freshman PG at ODU?...I don't think he's improved that much. Shaka needs to watch what happens with the top 4 teams this week and decide whether a win at ODU would get us into the top 4. If so, Joey needs to be on the floor if he can go. If W&M or GMU tank their last two I believe we can sneak into the 4 seed- - stranger things have happened.

That is true, either W&M or GMU has to lose on Wednesday and we win for us to even have a chance at a top 4 seed. I am sure that they will keep an eye on that. To get into the top 4 we need to win both, GMU or W&M lose both, and Drexel lose 1 of 2. We are still in 6th place right now.

I posted on an earlier thread, that if we have to win 4 in 4, the best place for us to finish is 6th and NU finish 1st. That way we don't play NU until the final, if they make it that far. If we get some breaks and play our tails off to finish 4th or 5th, we face NU in the semis. I prefer 4th over 6th, but that ain't gonna happen. 5th is the worst seed for us. Rest Joey.

I agree if we can't make a 4 seed we rest Joey...I like Darius and his improvement of late is impressive, but he's more successful running the point w/ JRod at the 2...I don't think he's ready to manage the point solo if the game is on the line...not yet...

This was my thought exactly. Sounds like coach has them getting comfortable getting bumped & pushed in practice...maybe KP is running those practices :lol:

You guys realize there's almost a full week of no games between the end of the season and the opening round of the CAA tournament, right?

I say play him and try and win every game. When you start tanking games to try and finish in a more favorable position it almost never works.

more twitter talk from joey: "selection sunday in 18 days. ready to hear our names"

i hope he means because they are winning the caa tournament and not an at-large bid.

Mistachill you make some good points. Also remember that Theus may have something to prove. He is from down near ODU. He will have some fans in the stands! He may have a coming out party on them. I hope Joy heals fast and can play. He is having a great yr.

Rambunctious said:

If Theus leads the Rams to a victory at ODU in Norfolk with Jrod on the bench most of the game someone might get killed in the riot on monarchnation

Back