Joey - J-Rod

Mistachill said:
You guys realize there's almost a full week of no games between the end of the season and the opening round of the CAA tournament, right?

I say play him and try and win every game. When you start tanking games to try and finish in a more favorable position it almost never works.

I agree with the "tanking" perspective but getting Joey as healthy as possible for the tourney is not tanking. Some injuries take more than a week to heal. The rest of the team should be highly motivated to win while Joey improves. Teams can get better when one of their star players recover from injuries. I wouldn't mind Theus playing the majority of minutes at the 1, give Grayson a bigger chance and give Daniels some minutes at the 2 spot.

When I think of "Ram Tough" (as the commercial goes) I think of TJ and Joey. Gritty and gutsy. However, we need him as close to 100% to run through 4 tournament games in a row. That' asking an awful lot from an injured player, particularly the kind he has.

So all the "rest Joey" proponents will be ok with it if Shaka rests Joey the next two games and we lose them? :lol: :lol:

I'm not necessarily in the "rest Joey" camp because the team does have almost a full week off after the ODU game. But I can't imagine the coaches/trainers not being mindful of the possible consequences, good and bad, of having to play Joey for 39 minutes for the next 2 games. Let's hope they aren't going to have to face that situation.
If anybody on the team can suck it up it's Joey. The obvious risk of further damage to the point where recovery-time for the tournament is insufficient is part of the calculation.

VRam said:
So all the "rest Joey" proponents will be ok with it if Shaka rests Joey the next two games and we lose them? :lol: :lol:

Winning the tournament is what matters now. I don't see an at large or getting in the top 4 without some highly unlikely game outcomes. Rest Joey on Wed, win that game anyway. Turn him into an assistant coach for a week. Run him hard but keep his arms wrapped. Check with the Doc Sat AM, maybe bring Joey out in the 2nd half against ODU if needed. Frankly winning the tourny would be salve enough if we were unlucky enough to lose the game @ODU.

PS Somebody check VRAM's ip, his lack of confidence smells of an imposter

This is not the NFL, if Joey can play, he plays. If we lose to ODU because we sat Joey for the Tourny, someone has some explaning to do. This game is one of the most important games of the year even if we are in last place. Its OD frickin' U, for crying out loud. And also at stake is seeding for the NCAA and we are not locked in the NIT by any means. A 5th or 6th place CAA team is not guarenteed anything.

Obviously I'm not a doctor but it sounds like Joey's injury isn't the type would benefit much from the little bit of time off we're talking about. It sounds like his shoulder will cause him problems anytime it gets banged whether its rested or not. So if it gets rested for two weeks and he gets bumped in the first game of the tournament would he be better off than if he played and got only one week of rest and received the same bumped in the tournament?

I say take it easy in practice, play him as you normally would in the next two games, hopefully he won't have too play much in the JMU game, but obviously you never know.

LOL! That's a good one! They'll blame coach Smart for not taking a med class and operating on Joey's shoulder himself.

VRam said:

Rest him as much as you can, especially against JMU, but he's gotta go against ODU. We whip the Monarchs in Norfolk and you can forget about them doing anything in the CAA Tournament. They'll lay down.

It's amazing what a young male athlete that has the motivation like Joey has can do even when injured. He will be good to go. I do think he will see less minutes than he has most of the season in these last 2 though.

The way his arm just "hung" there and dribbling was done mostly with his left hand, he was in some serious pain. He avoided going through screens and contact. He will be a defensive liablity. Theus will get more pt this week. IMO, coach will rest him as much as he can before the tourny. Winning the auto bid should be the number one priority.

Smart refers to Joey in today's paper as one of the two toughest kids he's ever been around in coaching. Quite the compliment. And certainly not hard to believe.

4RunningRam said:
Smart refers to Joey in today's paper as one of the two toughest kids he's ever been around in coaching. Quite the compliment. And certainly not hard to believe.

Hopefully the other guy is a recruit for next year.

The problem is Theus is healthy and he avoids going through screens and contact. That's one part of his game he has to improve. He's already a great on the ball defender.

MADRAM said:
The way his arm just "hung" there and dribbling was done mostly with his left hand, he was in some serious pain. He avoided going through screens and contact.

I say since Theus is stepping it up and playing big lately, Joey should rest so he can be ready for the CAA tournament and beyond.

Back