Joey's game

fmrick said:
Joey just needs to lead the team. We have lots of scorers, so he can spend his time getting the ball to them.

I rather see him at 10 assists than 10 points. Ten points are just that- 10. But 10 assists are at least 20 points.

Go go out and run the team.

This we need joey to be a PG not a shooting guard that passes

Brandon's first big 3 in front of the VCU bench was entirely set up by Joey penetrating and dishing. Excellent pass. That's what we need from him. I couldn't care less if he scores at all.

Classic "we won, so everyone played well" reactions..............but not reality.

Joey played 35 minutes. 1 bucket (on a UR defensive switch where Ryan Butler ended up on Joey). 1-4 from the field. Some points on a T (free throws) and late game fouling. Relatively empty minutes. Fast break opportunity botched by taking it in to the defender as an undersized guard. At his size, Joey just needs so much separation to get his shot off. We were utterly confused/befuddled/stymied for the first 20 minutes.

Joey's D - Kevin Anderson had his way tonight w/ Joey (consistently pulling up for mid-range jumpers over him). Martel blew by Joey on a switch and drew a foul. There were a few other defensive transgressions. I was watching closely. I will, however, certainly give Joey credit for effort, hustle, persistence, composure, enthusiasm, some decent overall decision-making, taking care of the ball, and hitting FTs. His post-game comments on the radio were well-articulated and thoughtful/insightful/realistic. He is certainly an asset.

Rozzell's late treys, Saintil's production, Larry's late-game buckets and interior presence, and TJ's warrior-like performance were the difference though.

Gavin, Rozz, Brad, Darius, and (especially) Ed all "sat down" on D, really moved their feet, switched on perimeter ball screens well with our bigs, pressured Gonzo and KA into tough shots; Larry/TJ/TS did a great job on the interior defensively (and offensively). Our interior was the story of the game.

Our tough D for 40 minutes, gritty interior play, and some clutch Rozzell treys highlighted this effort. Joey was, at best, decent...........considering 35 minutes of PT for a starting junior PG, at home.

I'd love to see what Darius could do with that kind of PT and that many touches/decisions/looks (given our high number of possession pace/rate).............I really like the look of our squad when Darius is in the game. His size and ability to penetrate (a la Maynor) intrigues me. We've got plenty of perimeter shooters.

All that being said, one heck of a second half "team" performance, particularly considering the opposition! The SC was rockin,' the blackout looked great, and the team's overall tenacity/composure was impressive!

I'll take 6-2, #19 RPI, Skeen on the way...................

Thanks for the compliments! It's always nice to hear George Mason fans say good things about our team.

Mozinga - - way to bring us back to reality. Joey's game was hardly perfect, but he didn't (A) shoot us out of it or (B) have a lot of turnovers (5-2 for assists and turnovers).

I don't get the Theus should play more (or God help us, start) rants. The guy is playing about as much as I care to see him play right now for a rookie PG - - 5-6 minutes per game. We are rolling the dice when Theus plays a lot - - he is very casual with the ball and it shows. Witness total assists (5) and turnovers (9). That's right - - 5 assists and 9 turnovers. It was apparently so bad that Shaka sat him during the W&M game in favor of Gavin bringing the ball up when Joey needed a break. Joey has 39 assists and 22 turnovers (nearing a 2 to 1 ratio). I get that Theus needs minutes to develop but he should get them primarily in blowout wins this season.

Yeah I agree about Theus. He's obviously got a ton of potential. His speed and drives to the basket are impressive and he has a killer crossover but he seems to make stupid mistakes whenever he handles the ball, I remember multiple times where he got his pocket picked in the backcourt bringing the ball up and the opposing team scored easy baskets. He needs to mature more before he gets more minutes. Joey is the best option right now. When J-Rod graduates, I think Theus will be very capable and be a top-flight CAA point guard.

ramnation said:
Thanks for the compliments! It's always nice to hear George Mason fans say good things about our team.

Remember his stellar prediction before last season's CAA Championship game? He really knows his sh!t. Too bad he doesn't know anything about basketball.

I know our offense doesn't move that much at all but whenever Theus is in the game nobody moves at all until he passes of to somebody else. Anything going on there?

Mozingo you forgot the most important Joey stat. Care to figure out what VCU's won/loss record with Sunshine as our point guard?

But my point is, as flawed as Joey is I seriously doubt we'd be in better shape with Theus or Grayson in there based on what little I've seen from them so far. And I know Coach Smart would prefer not playing Joey 33 minutes per game (leading the team), but evidently the freshman point guards aren't ready.

Theus will be good for us in time. Joey is doing a great job right now. He is still finding his way as a PG, but we wouldn't be any where close to 6-2 without him.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Theus will be good for us in time. Joey is doing a great job right now. He is still finding his way as a PG, but we wouldn't be any where close to 6-2 without him.

Joey was key to the second half comeback and is the best option at PG. Joey is tough and gritty and gives it his all. Sure he makes mistakes as does the rest of the team. I see improvement with each game, keep up the good work JRod!!

Glad to see everyone is finally figuring out what I've been telling you about Joey for more than two years.

as long as Joey doesn't shoot, I'm happy. we need his assists and steals. but the main problem I have is Kirill. He seems like he has no idea what to do with the ball anymore. Thank God that Saintil is back to take away playin time from Kirill.

Joey has been "steady" at the point guard position over the last 5 games - steady is exactly what we need from that position with our other pieces. He was definitely out of control in the early part of the season, but I have to think that Shaka's point guard experience has paid off ................

Over the last 5 games .................

Record : 4-1
Assists / game : 6.6
Assist / TO ratio : 2.4 to 1

He's also had at least one steal in every game and has averaged just under 6 shots per game.

I think that's just about what we need from Joey ............

Back