Joey's game

yeah I have to agree (even though I have been a joey basher), he has been basically what we needed. Move the ball around don't shoot 1000 3's and to be the emotional leader. I was pleased this last game for sure.

As a former coach, you and I both need to remember we only see what happens in games-Coach Smart sees 5 times what we do and we shouldn't second guess his decisions. They are loads of info we don't even know about. He also has many fine assistants that I'm sure have imput into all of his decisions.

It looks as though Joey is learning what he needs to do to make this team go and the younger guys will come along in due time.

I'm as bad as anyone about second guessing. This board would be pretty dull if we didn't discuss this type of thing-I'm sure the coaches aren't reading it unless for poops and giggles.

We all have opinions and this is the place to vent them. Carry on brothers.

PS-if this wasn't the internet, we sure would be wasting alot of paper, huh?

I'm not going to bash Joey too much. He's done a decent job, but has still failed to really run the offense. He doesn't have the ability to drive in with the trees and pull up. It's either an all or nothing for Joey, he has those moments where I say wow, why doesn't he drive to the basket like that more often and he also has those moments where I'm screaming at him to take it to the basket when he just pulls up. If we ever want to turn into a mid major program that is constantly getting into the tournament whether it be winning the CAA tournament or getting at large bids, then we need someone other than Joey. He's not really that fast and gets blown by on defense causing Larry to have to pick him up in the lane. He's doing a better job not turning it over, but that 2.4 to 1 ratio might be a little deceiving due to the fact that he doesn't drive inside that often. I'll take his play now over last years, but we still need a better point guard if we want to be a better program.

Bring on the "you haven't been watching this team lately" or the "is this your first year watching college basketball," but I know what I see out there with these other top notch mid majors and they all have lightning fast point guards.

Very well said Nick and I agree 100%. He's the best we have now but if we're going up, our point gaurd needs to be dangerous in many ways. All five starters have to be dangerous so opposing defenses can't drop off and help on others.

Sometimes said:
Eric wasn't "lightning fast."

Eric was quick, and had the ability to stop on a dime. I'll take him any day, but we never were a top mid major with the likes of Xavier and Gonzaga when he was here either. :shock:

Joey is a winner and the best we have to offer right now. He plays lots of minutes and I appreciate his overall level of play, intensity and leadership qualities .Keep on keeping on brother from one boriqua to another. Turn the negative karma to your benefit and be yourself. Most Rams fan love you and believe in you.

I just wish the posts on here were as good as Joey's play. Maybe some day, but I doubt it.

I just wish the posts on here were as good as Joey's play. Maybe some day, but I doubt it.

:lol:

Imagine what the post would look like if we were 2-7. :roll:

Joey hit a key layup at the end against Tulane - no one was near the basket and he decided to get it done himself.

I continue to be a huge JROD fan. :D

VCUBeatsduke

VCUBeatsduke said:
Joey hit a key layup at the end against Tulane - no one was near the basket and he decided to get it done himself.

VCUBeatsduke

That was one of the moments I said he should do that more often. :lol: The Richmond one too.

NickGeorge21VCU said:
VCUBeatsduke said:

VCUBeatsduke

That was one of the moments I said he should do that more often. :lol: The Richmond one too.
the more he does it, the more defenses will plan for it and the more the ball will end up in the third row of the stands. I like his selective use of driving to the basket.

Anyone who does not recognize the value of Joey with respect to this years team needs to retake BB 101. Is Joey an elite PG, no, but he has done a very credible job since the Western Michigan game. He understands his role now. He realizes that he does not have to score a great deal for this team to be successful. I am now seeing in him what he did so successfully in high school. He plays with passion, is exhibiting better leadership, plays hard on defense, and will hit the open shot when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't see any reason why this team can't realize its goal of post season play with Joey at the helm. I think it's time to give him some credit for this seasons early accomplishments.

RAMification said:
Anyone who does not recognize the value of Joey with respect to this years team needs to retake BB 101. Is Joey an elite PG, no, but he has done a very credible job since the Western Michigan game. He understands his role now. He realizes that he does not have to score a great deal for this team to be successful. I am now seeing in him what he did so successfully in high school. He plays with passion, is exhibiting better leadership, plays hard on defense, and will hit the open shot when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't see any reason why this team can't realize its goal of post season play with Joey at the helm. I think it's time to give him some credit for this seasons early accomplishments.

This. Joey is the definition of a team player, and he will do whatever he needs to do to help his team win. The fact that anybody is even close to questioning either his heart or his ability to lead our team by now is entirely beyond me.

I won't question his heart just don't think he is a PG but more of a SG that passes

Back