Joey's game

I know people have been bashing him recently, I think he played really well tonight. Looking forward a veteran PG like Joey will play big and win us a close game in the CAA I'm calling it that game is coming!

benchwarmer said:
I know people have been bashing him recently, I think he played really well tonight. Looking forward a veteran PG like Joey will play big and win us a close game in the CAA I'm calling it that game is coming!
yeah he didn't play to bad. Shooting wasn't stellar but I'm giving him a reprieve with his hand injury. 5 assists with 2 to's not bad. He did hit some clutch free throws for us down the stretch. In terms of shooting free throws I might pick joey first. So overall I can't really complain too much.

Joey has had better nights. He seemed to be hesitant to shoot. Perhaps his hand is still bothering him.

benchwarmer said:

Joey was a major part of the attitude adjustment in the second half. He played like a mad man, attacking the basket and getting some nice steals. I really thought he looked the the leader of this team at the start of the second half. BIG game for Joey, even if the stats don't totally jump out at you...played a heck of a game.

I have never been a big Joey supporter for reasons that have been well mentioned by others on this board. But I have to say that I believe he has been adequate running the point. Our team, without Eric, is different in the way it flows. We have to get use to our point guard not being our big scorer. Joey is going a fair job of running the offense and is quite adequate on defense except for bigger guards being able to shoot over him. But hey, the guy who gets paid big bucks to know basketball better then us had him on the court for 35 minutes tonight, so what do we know???

yeah...while I have gone up and down with my feelings regarding Joey, I also believe that our fan base has unrealistic expectations regarding PG play in general. Its been 10 years+ since we have had a non-scorer at PG. Dom Jones, then BA Walker, and of course Eric have provided us with years of scoring reliability at the 1. These kinds of players do not grow on trees and we have been fortunate enough to have those players running our squad. Joey is going to be more in the 6-7 point, 5 assist, 3 RB, 3 steal category.

As long as he minimizes mistakes, that is enough for me right now.

DickLawRam said:
Joey is going to be more in the 6-7 point, 5 assist, 3 RB, 3 steal category.

As long as he minimizes mistakes, that is enough for me right now.
yeah I'm perfectly ok with that...but sometimes those turnovers start adding up...

I thought he played well tonight. When we were struggling early in the second half, he got into the lane a couple of times and it seemed to swing the momentum in our favor.

While Joey can be very frustrating to watch, I gotta admit I don't know where we would be without him right now (and this coming from someone who said let him go to Rollins). Obviously Grayson and Theus (to a lesser extent) aren't ready yet. Speaking of Theus, I never understood all the praise he was getting from some folks because of a few flashes of talent he has shown. To me he looked like what he is, a freshman trying to play the most difficult position on the floor.

But last night his defense helped us more than anything he did offensively.

I'm glad to hear that about Joey. I mean, what is so wrong with different players showing up on game night?

This might have been said, and this is off topic. But how about Theus's steal last night. Quite Impressed with his gimme that bitchsmack.

The pace of the game totally changed with Joey out of the game. I thought he did a nice job last night leading this team. We cannot compare him to Eric. When Joey came out of the game our team seemed a little lost. I think if he was 6'2" he would be a stud, unfortunately he's not but did a great job running the offense last night.

Joey just needs to lead the team. We have lots of scorers, so he can spend his time getting the ball to them.

I rather see him at 10 assists than 10 points. Ten points are just that- 10. But 10 assists are at least 20 points.

Go go out and run the team.

When you consider where are depth really is....Joey might just be the most important cog in this machine

Joey was awesome last night!!!

Great job Joey!!!! Your D was stellar!

VCUBeatsduke

Back