Kirill has a new hobby......

ViCtorioUs said:
I know how you old codgers enjoy bashing the youngsters for their work ethic, or lack thereof, and refer to them as "divas", but let me tell you how they spent Wednesday afternoon. Coach Smart and the team were at the VCU Medical Center to spend time with the sick and broken children who currently inhabit the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

No fanfare, no publicity, just the guys spending their afternoon to lift the spirits of the patients and the staff. I know they lifted mine. These guys are naturals with these little ones and the kids respond to them well.

So jest about them if you must, but the reality is a somewhat different story.

This is what it's all about. Smart was saying he would do this the day he was announced as Head Coach.

districtballer said:
ViCtorioUs said:
I know how you old codgers enjoy bashing the youngsters for their work ethic, or lack thereof, and refer to them as "divas", but let me tell you how they spent Wednesday afternoon. Coach Smart and the team were at the VCU Medical Center to spend time with the sick and broken children who currently inhabit the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

No fanfare, no publicity, just the guys spending their afternoon to lift the spirits of the patients and the staff. I know they lifted mine. These guys are naturals with these little ones and the kids respond to them well.

This is what it's all about. Smart was saying he would do this the day he was announced as Head Coach.
I really respect that. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

The team is at my work often and they are really nice to my boss and several of them have offered to call and talk to his son (who is a huge VCU fan). They are always really nice and some offered their phone number to call them when the kids come in so they can take their pictures next to them.

Nixon offered to play ball with his son too.

They have gone out of their way just to make the day of a couple kids. They are some good guys if you get to know them.

ViCtorioUs said:

Unfortunately, you normally never hear about such good actions, but a DUI, assault, grades scandal, etc are much more entertaining news. For all that Grant was, he never seemed to want to connect too much to the local community. I hope this staff is different, and is more approachable and personal in their actions and responses.

As for KP, I respect the heck out of him working for his spending money, particularly at a job that some american citizens would consider less than glamarous. I have a neighbor who I knew was out of work, and recently saw him working at a grocery store. A neighborhood friend of mine responded, "how sad". I quickly retorted with "how f'n admirable". I admire and respect anyone that does what they need for themselves and family, vice wallowing in self-pity for their current situation. You learn alot about people with their response to adversity; much more than when things are going well.

Good for Kiril, and nice work by Coach Smart.

WhoAreEwe wrote:
For all that Grant was, he never seemed to want to connect too much to the local community.

Grant, himself, was a very private individual who kept to himself. But I remember several occassions where VCU did become involved in the community, one in particular I remember is serving food to the homeless.

Also, one thing I remember about Grant's first team here is that they were all great with the fans after games. They would always come up to the student sections especially Jesse and Shu and thank the fans for coming out to support them.

Grant was a great coach...let's stop beating the man up.

Grant was a great coach...let's stop beating the man up.

I do not think anyone here will debate that Grant was a very good coach, we are questioning his integrity and ehtics which is different. He!! Bob Thuggins is a great coach, doesn't mean he's a good person.

Just because...

vcu.jpg

Probably earning money to pay for a ticket home for a few weeks this summer. Good for him.

he looks a heck of a lot more cut in the lawnmower pic than in the "sex on the beach" pic.

Back