Larry Sanders signs with player agent Happy Walters

districtballer

Elite Member
Larry recently signed Andre Buck as his agent, fully losing his eligibility as an NCAA athlete and heading for the NBA. Andre Buck is a young guy who has some CAA connections in that he actually played basketball at the University of Delaware in addition to being the agent for some former Drexel stars in Frank Elegar and Chaz Crawford. Other current NBA players that Buck represents are Aaron Brooks (Houston Rockets), Mardy Collins (LA Clippers), Renaldo Balkman (Denver Nuggets), fellow mid-major big man from Rider in the MAAC Jason Thompson (Sacramento Kings) and Mustafa Shakur who is a teammate of Eric Maynor's with the OKC Thunder.

Re: Larry Sanders signs with player agent Andre Buck

it doesnt look like he aimed very high. Im way too tired to look it up, but I recall EM3's agent to have a lot more star power this time last year.

r4m said:
it doesnt look like he aimed very high. Im way too tired to look it up, but I recall EM3's agent to have a lot more star power this time last year.

You are correct. Eric Maynor's agent is Andy Miller. Miller represents a lot more NBA players, not to mention more high-profile ones as well. Some of Miller's clients include Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Andre Miller, JJ Hickson, Rudy Fernandez, Brendan Haywood, Carlos Delfino, Serge Ibaka, Sebastian Telfair, and Chucky Atkins among others.

Andre Buck is relatively newer to the scene and is not nearly as established as Miller is.

I am not going to pretend to be an expert on NBA compensation, but isn't the income for rookies basically established by the draft position anyway? Maybe he chose this guy because his cut is much lower and he really likes the guy.

Rambunctious said:
I am not going to pretend to be an expert on NBA compensation, but isn't the income for rookies basically established by the draft position anyway? Maybe he chose this guy because his cut is much lower and he really likes the guy.

From what I have read Buck is a straight shooter who takes on a few clients he can work with personally. He has had success in the past getting guys like Larry into the either the first round or second. He represented Balkman and lets just say there was no way that guy should have been a first rounder.

This guy also has a reputation of being fair, honest, keeping the kids best interest in mind, and being accessible. He actually let a recruit go a few years back prior to the draft because the recruit and his entourage thought he should be going a higher than Buck projected. Buck was hand picking work outs for the kid matching him against lower first round guys he knew his guy could either compete with or dominate. The other agenda had the kid working with the lotto types. Looks like Buck was correct as the guy went in the second round.

I think Larry has made a great choice and by the way not only are salaries set, also agents cuts are set as well. These days the agents main value is setting up the appropriate workouts, and delivering on marketing opportunities.

Again, Larry made a great choice. Think of it like this what good is a high profile agent is you are far down the totem pole? This guy Buck should prove beneficial to a guy like Larry.

It looks like reports that Larry signed with Andre Buck are either inaccurate or he changed his agent as he is now with NBA agent Happy Walters. Walters represents a number of NBA players, the most prominent being Amare Stoudamire in addition to Corey Brewer, DeJuan Blair, and Shawne Williams.

I wouldn't trust a guy named Happy if my life depended on it

Rambunctious said:
I am not going to pretend to be an expert on NBA compensation, but isn't the income for rookies basically established by the draft position anyway?

My question exactly. Why give a guy a percentage when what you get is predetermined by the NBA/Players Union contract? Unless the agent can get your draft position bumped up. And signing cuts off your escape avenue back to college. Obviously there is something I'm overlooking.

RAMROD said:
Rambunctious said:
I am not going to pretend to be an expert on NBA compensation, but isn't the income for rookies basically established by the draft position anyway?

My question exactly. Why give a guy a percentage when what you get is predetermined by the NBA/Players Union contract? Unless the agent can get your draft position bumped up. And signing cuts off your escape avenue back to college. Obviously there is something I'm overlooking.

I would imagine that it is all about draft position and making darn sure that you go in the first round and get that guaranteed money. I would assume that involves contacting all of the teams to talk up your guy and setting up as many workouts as possible and coordinating travel, as well as dealing with the press. Larry has been on the go since he declared for the draft attending camps and working out for teams. Someone has to make that happen. Also once you are drafted there are deals to be worked out with trading card and apparel companies although I would assume those are pretty standard. I don't know how big of a cut the agent receives but I can certainly see the need for ones services.

Miami Heat
Toronto Raptors
Oklahoma City Thunder
Minnesota Timberwolves
Utah Jazz
Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Boston Celtics
San Antonio Spurs
Detroit Pistons
Portland Trailblazers
Milwaukee Bucks
New Jersey Nets

Those are the workouts I know have taken place. He also cancelled a workout with the Memphis Grizzlies due to travel issues as well as the one scheduled yesterday in Atlanta for the Hawks. That's half of the teams in the NBA right there. Somebody has to organize and schedule the workouts, make travel and accommodation arrangements, correspond with teams on Larry's behalf, and talk up Larry to ensure he gets that guaranteed first-round contract and move up on the board if he can.

Back