Larry Sanders

Posted on the other board as well. I got tired of people saying Larry Sanders will be nothing without Eric Maynor giving him easy buckets. I decided to see how often Eric fed Larry. Since Larry can’t do anything but catch a ball from Eric and dunk, Eric should have assisted on most of Larry’s scores. To do this I went to ESPN and pulled up every game that had a play by play listed. I know its not exact but it’s the only way I could think of. Here are the results. Sorry for the long list, I couldn't figure out how to make a table.

Vs. URI
6pts
Assists: Brad
Vs. ECU
16pts
Assists: Nixon, Maynor(2)
Vs. W&M
8pts
Assists: Nixon
Richmond
7pts
Assists: Maynor(2)
Oklahoma
16pts
Assists: Maynor, Joey, Brad
UNCW
16pts
Assists: Maynor
Drexel
13pts
No assists
GMU
15pts
Northeastern
8pts
Assists: Kirill
Hoftra
6pts
Assists: Brad
UNCW
15pts
Assists: Maynor, Brad(3)
ODU
10pts
GMU
18pts
Assists: Brad, Maynor, Nixon
UCLA
10pts
No assists

I know a lot of shots were missed and he was fouled a lot as well, but Larry does have the ability to make moves on his own and get fed by other players, Brad was right behind Eric in assists to Larry. Hopefully, Larry will improve next year as much as he did this year. But for those people who say most of his points come from easy gifts from Maynor, you are wrong.

Dude, I know that took some work. Interesting that so many assists to Larry came from Brad.

ViCtorioUs said:
Interesting that so many assists to Larry came from Brad.

Not in my eyes. Other than Maynor, I would have have guessed Beeford had highest number of assists to Larry. I can imagine their moves, now. Ball is on the wing, passed inside to Bradford, Bradford spins inside, upfakes strong enough to draw both post defenders off their feet, Bradford gives the the rock to Larry, Larry finishes with authority.

The after effects can be seen here: http://johntatum.smugmug.com/gallery/75 ... f7NkW-A-LB

I saw you posted this on the zone too, good research!

although, I also like the fact that on this board we don't have to defend our players to anyone 8-)

Here's what bighornn had to say. Interesting stuff!

bighornn said:
You guys are totally missing the point, regarding the "BIg L."

His scoring totals hardly matter; he's worth 15-25 points a game at the defensive end. Even if he wore oven mitts, and blinders, on offense, he'd still be the most valuable Ram - and likely the MVP of the CAA.

When on the floor (meaning not sidelined by fouls), Sanders reduces the opposition's shooting percentage by a mind-boggling .15, or more ... meaning 43 percent goes way south of 40 ... or even less.

The VCU athletic department is too ... let's be nice and say "busy" ... to do the mathematics: but I'm saying Rams' foes shot 15 percent less in those minutes Sanders was on the floor.

Consider: the reduced FG% is embellished by lower free-throw attempt totals. Check Lee's totals in CAA tourney - with NO Sanders to deal with, then WITH Sanders to deal with. It's borderline hilarious.

BAFanVCU said:
(Off thread topic), BA 4 the Trey, love the name.
good to see more Bobby Anthony inspired handles out there.

michael
Likewise. I was originally "BA fan" back on the Zone but lost the password during one of the upgrades and never took the time to contact ZA. Anyway, you're more active on the boards than myself and I support what you guys provide for us so I didn't want to pull a RR on you and copy you're name. As for BA, he's my all-time favorite Ram. Kid had one of the most awkward shots I'd ever seen but I'd rather the ball be in his hands, than anyone else if the game was one the line. Plus BA had the greatest mustache ever!

Back