Larry to Boston at 19?

ramnation

Insider
Boston might look to go for added size and target players like 6-10 Daniel Horton of Kentucky, 7-0 Hassan Whiteside of Marshall, 6-10 Ekpe Udoh of Baylor or 6-10 Larry Sanders of VCU - all projected to go somewhere in the late-teens and early 20s of the first round.

While most teams would prefer to have one of the top picks in the draft, Ainge has proven repeatedly that you can find quality players late in the first round.

The locations may change, but Ainge says the preparation remains the same.

"I haven't really gone about the draft any different this year than I have in years past," he told CSNNE.com. "We did cancel some workouts because of the (playoff) schedule. But we managed to see the players that we had scheduled in for workouts. The draft preparation hasn't been sacrificed at all."

With so many needs and so much uncertainty about who will be back next season, there's a very good chance that the Celtics will draft a player at No. 19 that can come in and be an immediate contributor.

And while there are several variables and factors that weigh in on whoever the Celtics draft, it ultimately comes down to one thing.

"You have to feel good about the player, now and looking forward," Ainge said. "You want to find someone who can help you now, obviously. But you want them to be someone who can grow, too."

http://www.csnne.com/06/19/10/Blake...nding_celtics.html?blockID=257237&feedID=3945

Honestly, I think that 19 to Boston might be the best situation for Larry. Ainge said that he wants someone that can contribute immediately and I don't know that Larry probably can with his body being so skinny right now. He could probably come in and help defensively but offensively he's a liability except when he runs the floor in transition. I think he could be scary with a point guard like Rondo running the floor and feeding him the ball. Same goes for Chris Paul with the Hornets but at 11 there's no way the Hornets take him that early.

I think Kevin Garnett is the perfect guy to teach Larry what he needs to do to be successful in the NBA. Larry has a similar build and patterns his game after KG although he's not nearly as good with his perimeter game (which goes without saying I guess). With KG in the twilight years of his career, Sanders would be in a great position to be taught by one of the game's best forwards before he retires, leaving Larry in a storied franchise with lots of opportunity and close to Richmond on the East Coast where we do the bulk of our recruiting. Not to mention having Larry with a successful franchise boosts his visibility on major TV networks and gets VCU some national publicity.

This would be SWEEEEET. He could be a Garnett proto-type..... with some good tutiledge. And who better to deliver that..... than the Big Package, himself. I would LOVE to see this happen.

RamBo said:
This would be SWEEEEET. He could be a Garnett proto-type..... with some good tutiledge. And who better to deliver that..... than the Big Package, himself. I would LOVE to see this happen.

Me too. I strongly believe Boston is one of the best situations out there for Larry. Although from what I've been hearing, he may not even be available at 19. :shock: I really don't understand it since I don't see him as a top-20 pick, but people connected to the VCU program think he'll go before Eric based on reports from teams that love him and are picking before 20.

I still think he goes in the 20's but will tip my hat to Larry and those I was told this by if it happens.

districtballer said:
RamBo said:

Me too. I strongly believe Boston is one of the best situations out there for Larry. Although from what I've been hearing, he may not even be available at 19. :shock: I really don't understand it since I don't see him as a top-20 pick, but people connected to the VCU program think he'll go before Eric based on reports from teams that love him and are picking before 20.

I still think he goes in the 20's but will tip my hat to Larry and those I was told this by if it happens.

DBaller you are on point most of the time. But with this weak draft and many non-skilled big guys, upside and work ethic are the biggest assets.

Word on the street is that Larry is showing a lot of energy and work ethic. I think he will most likely go before 20 or higher. I do agree with you he isnt ready for that but the potential and work ethic appear to be there.

rammad, it's an opinion...there's nothing to be on point about.

I don't think he's a top 20 pick. However what I think doesn't matter because I'm not the one picking. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 I'll be happy for it. I'll be surprised, but happy for the exposure VCU will get as a program, and for the fact Larry gets some more cash and rewarded with a higher pick for the work he's putting in.

Since Cousins is the only complete big man in the draft it should be no surprise that Larry is moving up. Despite his weaknesses, he is as good as the rest of these guys.

Remember, you only need one team to like you. If 29 teams think a player is 2nd round material but one GM with the 15th pick likes you, you become the 15th pick. Remember Isiah Thomas drafting Renaldo Balkman in the 1st round when NOBODY was thinking of picking him before the 2nd round?

think Kevin Eastman (Boston asst) may have contacted Rhoades about Larry?
Think Eastman has seen him work over the last couple years?
I think Boston and LS's chance to improve w/KG as a mentor is the deal...One can hope...

Since Rasheed Wallace looks to retire Boston at 19 makes sense-if he's not gone.

KentuckyRam said:
Since Rasheed Wallace looks to retire Boston at 19 makes sense-if he's not gone.

'Sheed retiring does mean that Boston almost definitely goes after a big at 19 if they keep the pick. One nice thing is that at 19 most of the more highly touted bigs should be off the board and Larry would be among the top big man options at that spot (provided the Bucks or Bulls don't take him as rumored). Here are the top big men in the draft field:

DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Al-Farouq Aminu
Cole Aldrich
Ekpe Udoh
Ed Davis
Patrick Patterson
Solomon Alabi
Hassan Whiteside
Daniel Orton

I honestly could see all 10 of these guys gone by the 19th pick. The one's who I think are most likely to still be on the board at that point are Daniel Orton, Hassan Whiteside, and Solomon Alabi. At 19, it depends on what you want, Whiteside apparently has some attitude and maturity issues that have caused him to slip a lot, but has lottery talent and the biggest wingspan in the draft (7'7). Orton is more potential since he played a back-up role at UK, but has a big NBA ready body and nice back to the basket game. Solomon Alabi is just huge 7'1 in shoes with a Kendrick Perkins type frame that NBA teams would absolutely covet.

Larry has a lot of plusses his way that have been gone over in length. It all depends on what the Celtics covet most.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5318897

According to a source close to Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, the Celtics have put their first-round pick in the NBA draft -- No. 19 overall -- on the market Wednesday, looking for a suitor.

Ainge hasn't been enamored with anyone at the spot, according to the source, and is willing to get a return of a future pick.

Well that changes things a little bit if they do deal the pick.

You would think thier top priority would be a 2 guard anyway, especially the way Allen underperformed. If they got a good option there, and Rashid comes back, they could go for another run. If Doc doesn't come back, it doesn't matter anyway. Then its probably more of a rebuild process.

Back