Latest on Larry from Chad Ford of ESPN

Sanders has been one of the steadiest players on our Big Board. He's been stuck in the mid-first round all year. A disappointing end of the season (a number of scouts were in attendance to see his woeful six-point performance in a losing effort against Old Dominion) hurt his stock a bit. GMs wonder if he's tough enough to make an impact in the league right now.

he can't make an impact in the CAA, let alone the NBA. amazing they call him consistant.

Sorry, I have to pile on a little bit. none of this should be a shock.

Steady? You're right vcuups-only an impact on certain CAA teams without a big-lol

I'm with you guys. Most nights, when he plays hard, he is a very good player but to be quite honest I don't see NBA talent yet. That's not an insult, just a totally honest opinion on my part. I really do hope that he stays but honestly, if you're projected mid-first round, there's no reason to turn down that money if I were him.

It is my opinion that if Larry was "NBA ready" we would have won more games. With the talent that we have around him we should be going to the NCAA's. Think about it. With the talent we have on this team would a NBA 1st round pick be playing in the CBI? It would be different if Larry was playing for UNCW, he would get a pass for playing in the CBI, but we're VCU.

Sorry Larry, you got to stay around Richmond 1 more year. Work on your game, gain some weight, and get that degree. That is most important thing!

Larry is not NBA ready.....but no impact on a CAA game? He is the center of every opposing teams game plan...period. Maybe he should handle that better but if you have never been there don't be so quick to criticize. This is his first go round with a bullseye on his back. All in all he has been a fun player to Watch and root for...VCU would be fortunate to have another Larry...

Hollinger did PER ratings for division 1 college basketball and released it yesterday. Larry Sanders had the 16th highest PER in all of college basketball. It's not a perfect rating system, especially at the college level, but the things people say on this message boards are at times downright embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong guys. He is my favorite player at VCU. The best and the most talent big man in the 15 years of watching VCU basketball. I have no doubt that Larry will go to the NBA. Don't rush it, that is all I am saying.

vcuups said:
he can't make an impact in the CAA, let alone the NBA. amazing they call him consistant.

Sorry, I have to pile on a little bit. none of this should be a shock.

That's insane. You must have missed the games where he's made a major impact.. especially his soph year when he spent all his time in the low post and changed games nightly..

Larry is our best player. Larry will play in the NBA. Larry should not yet go to the NBA. Larry can grow more at VCU next year. It is in Larry's best interest to return next year. If Larry does go early, I wish him the best, but he will struggle.

Now, go back two years and insert "Eric" everyplace I put "Larry". Eric needed his senior year, so does Larry.

When I say I hope Larry returns, I do so in hopes he will excel at the next level. He needs more development right now, and can best do so at VCU.

swik said:
Hollinger did PER ratings for division 1 college basketball and released it yesterday. Larry Sanders had the 16th highest PER in all of college basketball. It's not a perfect rating system, especially at the college level, but the things people say on this message boards are at times downright embarrassing.

There's a reason they're not scouts.

You know, a guy who averages 15 and 9 has no impact. :lol: :lol:

VRam said:
swik said:

There's a reason they're not scouts.

You know, a guy who averages 15 and 9 has no impact. :lol: :lol:

I know man, 15 and 9 and no impact. :lol:

Anyone want to guess where we would have been this year without him?

He will go to the NBA when he wants to go. And they will take him. Don't ever think that they won't! Is it the right decision? I don't know, because I'm not in his shoes. If someone offered me 1.2 million, it would be hard to turn down.

But on the other hand, he stays and get to the lottery pick level, he will make much more in those next few years.

But again, I'm not in his shoes, I have not lived his life, and I don't know his wants and needs. His decision, and I'll be his fan whatever he decides.

I think it's easy for us to forget how much Eric did on the court to help Larry's game. He was a vital part of our offense and took a lot of pressure off Larry. Eric would drive in the lane, get the attention of the post defenders, and Larry would reap the benefits. Still Larry is going to be drafted when he leaves, I think he will go through a growing process, and I hope he will succeed in the long run. I wish nothing but the best for him when his time at VCU is over! That being said, I feel he's got one more year with the Rams.

vcubanana said:
I think it's easy for us to forget how much Eric did on the court to help Larry's game. He was a vital part of our offense and took a lot of pressure off Larry. Eric would drive in the lane, get the attention of the post defenders, and Larry would reap the benefits. Still Larry is going to be drafted when he leaves, I think he will go through a growing process, and I hope he will succeed in the long run. I wish nothing but the best for him when his time at VCU is over! That being said, I feel he's got one more year with the Rams.

So you are saying that he needs to stay one more year and then get drafted by the Thunder? I could live with that.

Back