Leadership

RTD Article

"I was really proud of our guys," Smart said. "It's not easy to have a lead for that long against a very, very good team that can make shots. Our guys stayed together. We've been talking about that for a while. I'm really, really starting to see some signs of leadership from [Sanders], Joey Rodriguez and Ed Nixon. That's a really good sign."

Everyone hates to lose, but really the best chemistry is formed and the best leaders are discovered under the adversity of losing or playing from behind. That adversity came at Western Michigan, and anyone who thinks the guys weren't playing under duress and extreme pressure during the Oklahoma game must not really understand that kind of environment or situation.

They made it look easy and fun last night, but it really looks like they learned something about themselves as individuals and collectively as a team (and staff) over the past few days. I really hope we got Oklahoma's 100% best effort. If we did, then watch out!

I believe it when Shaka says he's starting to see leadership develop. Proving that they have the ability to hang with the some of the best in the country should allow them to reach down and know that something is there, and that will help them when the going get tough.

The test of leadership comes Monday night in Hampton when they're playing in a gym that's 25% capacity with MEAC refs in a game they're still suppose to win.

Grant and Maynor lost under that scenario. Hope they learned their lesson against Western Michigan.

Mistachill said:
The test of leadership comes Monday night in Hampton when they're playing in a gym that's 25% capacity with MEAC refs in a game they're still suppose to win.

Grant and Maynor lost under that scenario. Hope they learned their lesson against Western Michigan.

I dont remember hampton being 25% capacity last time we played them there....pretty rowdy place from what I recall

Is school out for the Thanksgiving break?

fmrick said:
Is school out for the Thanksgiving break?

Going off their calendar they only get Wed and Friday off so school will be in on Monday

Capel quote:
I talked to our guys about the environment, but also I knew they wouldn't take well to the loss they had at Western Michigan. This program has a history of bouncing back from a loss. They certainly did that tonight and played with a passion I didn't see as I watched the game at Western Michigan. The big part of that was the crowd here. These guys feed off the crowd."

I do wonder if his players really believed what he said. Perhaps they thought (like most major conference fans) - "hey we are 17th ranked, they are just a mid in a non-power conference; just a no-name university"

I sometimes wonder if the players and coaches from these major conferences realize there isn't a huge amount of difference between most major teams and the good mid teams. Obviously most of their fans don't believe this.

But it says a lot considering we haven't had a ranked team willing to play at our place since 1992. In fact when I heard this I thought..."How freakin pathetic". We basically get spat on (little to no respect) for being a mid yet few if any power team, ranked or not, is willing to play us, home or away.

Back