Longtime VCU Arts professor, Geral Donato, passes away

Pavarotti

Nation Donor
Insider
Gerald Donato, an accomplished painter who was a key figure in the development of the VCU School of the Arts into a nationally recognized program, died on Sunday at the age of 68.

Donato, a professor emeritus of painting, retired from teaching at VCU in 2005 after a 38-year career. He was an influential figure on campus who helped push the school’s artists in new, daring directions, according to Richard Toscan, Ph.D., dean of the VCU School of the Arts.

“Jerry was one of a group of faculty who joined the school as young artists in the late 60s and early 70s and painted like they didn't live here,” Toscan said. “There was already a strong base here, but they blew open the options for painters in the same way and at the same time that others were doing the same in New York and Los Angeles.”

http://www.news.vcu.edu/news/Gerald_Don ... the_age_of

I had him in both undergrad and grad school, and he was a member of my grad faculty committee. He was a tough SOB... sort of an art drill sergeant... but at the time that's what I needed to get past being an undisciplined and immature painter, and really put in the work. While he would often rip me a new one in critique, he also took as much time as was needed to explain where he was coming from, listen to my counter-arguments, and then help me formulate the path toward improvement. Some other painting profs were as tough or tougher, and some others were more supportive and nurturing as mentors, but for me, Prof. Donato did the best job at merging the two sides. I owe him much for helping me to become a better artist. Rest in peace.

Art, I also had Gerry Donato as an undergrad. Never took him for painting, but he taught my lithography class. I learned a lot, but found him not available at times and difficult to approach. That said I did learn quite a bit in his class and was pleased with the results.

His fan home was a gathering place for the art community and one of his and his wife's parties ranked only behind the Beaux Arts Ball and major gallery openings as the place to be if you were in any way involved in the visual arts scene in Richmond.

He was a prolific artist and I liked many of the things he did. I know that he and Richard Carlyon were friends and that tells me a lot about Donato as a person and an artist.

Back