Manyor in early tonight

First of all, please spell Eric's name correctly in the topic heading.

The keen NBA Watch here reminds me of my first crack at following ex-Rams in The Association. It can be an exasperating experience, to say the least, keeping tabs on these rooks.

In '74, I kept a close look on two VCU players, Jesse Dark (32nd pick overall by Knicks) and Bernard Harris (63rd overall by Buffalo Braves).

On a team with Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Bill Bradley and Phil Jackson, Dark played 47 games, 401 minutes, and averaged 3.8 points. The Knicks were 40-42.

Harris was little more than a bench ornament on a squad featuring Bob McAdoo. The 6-10 Roanoke native played just 11 games, 25, minutes with two field goals and one FT - yet he dressed every game.

Both were gone from the NBA the next year. To my knowledge the only other VCU alumni to actually play in NBA regular-season games were Gerald Henderson and Ed Sherod.

Curiously, all of VCU's NBA check cashers, prior to Maynor, arrived at VCU in the '70s, when the program was in its infancy, with no conference affiliation, just a scattering of fans and many home games still at Franklin Street.

Makes you wonder.

rammed said:
what does it make you wonder?

I think he's insinuating that we should leave the CAA and become an independent and move back to Franklin St. gym in order to attract NBA-level players.

I wonder why I read Bighorn's posts at all....although I'll probably chalk it up to morbid curiosity. I'm ever so glad he derives such self-worth from an anonymous message board. All we can hope for now is another love sonnet from Fred Jeter

bighorn said:
First of all, please spell Eric's name correctly in the topic heading.

The keen NBA Watch here reminds me of my first crack at following ex-Rams in The Association. It can be an exasperating experience, to say the least, keeping tabs on these rooks.

In '74, I kept a close look on two VCU players, Jesse Dark (32nd pick overall by Knicks) and Bernard Harris (63rd overall by Buffalo Braves).

On a team with Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Bill Bradley and Phil Jackson, Dark played 47 games, 401 minutes, and averaged 3.8 points. The Knicks were 40-42.

Harris was little more than a bench ornament on a squad featuring Bob McAdoo. The 6-10 Roanoke native played just 11 games, 25, minutes with two field goals and one FT - yet he dressed every game.

Both were gone from the NBA the next year. To my knowledge the only other VCU alumni to actually play in NBA regular-season games were Gerald Henderson and Ed Sherod.

Curiously, all of VCU's NBA check cashers, prior to Maynor, arrived at VCU in the '70s, when the program was in its infancy, with no conference affiliation, just a scattering of fans and many home games still at Franklin Street.

Makes you wonder.

Oh fair Bighorn, you know who you most remind me of?

Jesus.

Only you could speak such timeless paradoxical truths. To bring in the best players, have the worst facilities. To bring in NBA talent, reject the temptations of playing in a conference. It is positively genius! This blows the Sermon on the Mount out of the water. Despite the fact that the NBA had 8 rounds instead of the current 2, your logic, as always, is positively unshakeable. I want to be you Bighorn. I doubt you would want to be Fred Jeter, but I would love to be you.

Your first disciple,

Fred

Back