Max Shulga and Sean Bairstow transferring to VCU

Would be nice if they decided to run it back
Would be nicer if they wanted to "Repeat" a Championship. I think a couple of the three will return to further develop their games.

He’s in a cold streak. If he turns it on we could be a serious threat. He’s got a three ball and solid inside jumper. Just needs to see the ball go in.
Bairstow's big offensive issue has always been his consistency from deep.
He's actually pretty athletic (just not laterally) and has had many highlight reel dunks over his career, exploding to the rim. He hasn't shown this aspect this year making me think he's not fully over his injury.

He's actually pretty athletic (just not laterally) and has had many highlight reel dunks over his career, exploding to the rim. He hasn't shown this aspect this year making me think he's not fully over his injury.
This could be correct. His injury happened at the end of October. The surgery often requires hardware. the injury is slow to heal - limited blood flow to that part of the body. He was back towards the end of December - probably not 100%. He missed a game at the end of January because of a "rib" injury/issue - perhaps misleading?

Bairstow attempted a solid dunk vs Fordham but got blocked. Was certainly a welcomed sight to see.

Bairstow attempted a solid dunk vs Fordham but got blocked. Was certainly a welcomed sight to see.
That would've been pretty vicious if it wasn't blocked (and iirc Odom wanted it upgraded to a flagrant foul which I agreed with in the moment).

Wasn't sure where to put this as it references both 2K and Sean, but who here can get in touch with the student section or band? They need to start chanting, "Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi," anytime 2K or Sean hits a 3.

Combined 64 minutes played, they shot 3-14, had 6 turnovers and scored 8 points. I'm not sure this is the game to post that comment.
I agree with you that his comment may be a bit over the top. However, the defensive effort by Max and Sean doesn't show up in the stats. Example: Very late in the game, up two, Max left his guy and closed hard on an open Brea. Brea, the leading 3-point shooter in the entire nation, doesn't even get up a shot. If he does, then Dayton may take a 1 point lead in the final minute. That was an incredibly heady play by Max. They combined for 12 rebounds and 8 of our 13 assists. If Ferm could have hit the half-dozen shots in the paint he left short, then these two guys would have had that many more assists.

Again, you're right that his comment was a bit hyperbolic, but the overall games Max and Sean had weren't bad at all.

I agree with you that his comment may be a bit over the top. However, the defensive effort by Max and Sean doesn't show up in the stats. Example: Very late in the game, up two, Max left his guy and closed hard on an open Brea. Brea, the leading 3-point shooter in the entire nation, doesn't even get up a shot. If he does, then Dayton may take a 1 point lead in the final minute. That was an incredibly heady play by Max. They combined for 12 rebounds and 8 of our 13 assists. If Ferm could have hit the half-dozen shots in the paint he left short, then these two guys would have had that many more assists.

Again, you're right that his comment was a bit hyperbolic, but the overall games Max and Sean had weren't bad at all.
I gotta say, though I do love his game...Sean can cost us a big game with his inability to shoot. We need him to step up his shooting before getting into the conf tourney, and hopefully March Madness.

Combined 64 minutes played, they shot 3-14, had 6 turnovers and scored 8 points. I'm not sure this is the game to post that comment.

Edited for the top pic, and to agree with their less than stellar shooting
While they didn’t score I’d say they showed here…
6 to’s could be a thing, considering the entire team had 8 not terrible? Except for that one walk(assuming the call was correct I didn’t see the replay because I went outside and was literally an old man yelling at clouds for a minute) as he was throwing that long pass from left to right on the tv, that was … 😑

Stats don’t come close to telling the whole story but looking at them alone- every one by every player on both teams had an impact and the outcome could have been way different with any change.
My holy moley stat of the game is Holmes, a ~70% shooter going 5 of 13 from the line

“Hey Ram Nation, how you feeling this morning?”

Last edited:

This was the quintessential team effort/sum was greater than the parts game. To me, nobody individually stood out other than maybe Tobi. You can perform that exercise with a bunch of guys last night. Everybody did a little something to contribute to the win. That why I take issue with the "showed up big" comment.

Last edited:
Back