Max Shulga and Sean Bairstow transferring to VCU

Edited for the top pic, and to agree with their less than stellar shooting
While they didn’t score I’d say they showed here…
6 to’s could be a thing, considering the entire team had 8 not terrible? Except for that one walk(assuming the call was correct I didn’t see the replay because I went outside and was literally an old man yelling at clouds for a minute) as he was throwing that long pass from left to right on the tv, that was … 😑

Stats don’t come close to telling the whole story but looking at them alone- every one by every player on both teams had an impact and the outcome could have been way different with any change.
My holy moley stat of the game is Holmes, a ~70% shooter going 5 of 13 from the line

“Hey Ram Nation, how you feeling this morning?”

At no point watching the game did I think "thank god Max and Sean showed up." Lawal was the only guy I was fearful of fouling out because of the job he did on Holmes. Just about everybody contributed to his game. I don't see why Max and Sean deserved to be singled out.

This was the quintessential team effort/sum was greater than the parts game. To me, nobody individually stood out other than maybe Tobi. You can perform that exercise with a bunch of guys last night. Everybody did a little something to contribute to the win. That why I take issue with the "showed up big" comment.
Makes perfect sense. You nailed it: quintessential team effort.

At no point watching the game did I think "thank god Max and Sean showed up." Lawal was the only guy I was fearful of fouling out because of the job he did on Holmes. Just about everybody contributed to his game. I don't see why Max and Sean deserved to be singled out.
Holmes doesn't scare me. If he makes 8-13 FTs they win the game.

5-13 from the line. Either our strategy worked or Dayton's didn't.

Holmes doesn't scare me. If he makes 8-13 FTs they win the game.

5-13 from the line. Either our strategy worked or Dayton's didn't.
Our guys absolutely made him work for every point and arguably got into his head. Some of 5-13 is variance, but some of it is fatigue and frustration.

Hats off to the team and coaching staff - going into the game I thought we had to either limit Holmes or take away their perimeter shooting. Never expected the por que no los dos approach.

Our guys absolutely made him work for every point and arguably got into his head. Some of 5-13 is variance, but some of it is fatigue and frustration.

Hats off to the team and coaching staff - going into the game I thought we had to either limit Holmes or take away their perimeter shooting. Never expected the por que no los dos approach.
Holmes moves around like a deranged stick figure locking arms up and leaning into defenders. He even walks around with his elbows out like a Urkel.
nKCFn9.gif

Yeah the pregame comment wasn’t a thing that came true was it:)

This was the quintessential team effort/sum was greater than the parts game. To me, nobody individually stood out other than maybe Tobi. You can perform that exercise with a bunch of guys last night. Everybody did a little something to contribute to the win. That why I take issue with the "showed up big" comment.

Look at the timestamp of the comment you are up in arms about. Bang posted it before the game as a prediction. He wasn’t saying they showed up big.

I saw him against Westhampton. Only the big lumbering dudes like Venning and Quinn scare me.

I didn't say it, but we have tall skinny guys too.
And Tobi more than matches him athletically, though not yet in skill. I think Kuany Kuany would also do a credible job on him. I'd also like to see Holmes in the situation of guarding Kuany. I think he'd pick up some fouls doing that.

No shade from me on Holmes, he is an excellent player capable of taking over games. ( and yes AA, he has the worst posture around and I hear my mom's voice in my head everytime I watch him play, "Stand up straight, don't slump"). No his game verses us doesn't define him or hurt his rating as a player, I think the focus should be on our efforts as a team.

(We will need that kind of performance from our defense in every game, begginning with SLU on Friday)

If he makes 8-13 FTs they win the game.
if Holmes makes 8-13, does Tobi make the front end of the 2 one and ones? Does Max not trip over his own feet bringing the ball up unguarded? Does he make a couple of baskets, since he was averaging 15ppg coming in? Does Fermin make one or two or three of those 5 footers in the lane that no one guarded?

In any close game you can play this "what if" stuff. It isn't productive IMHO. It is true that if the bad things that happened to DAY didn't happen, and the bad things that happened to us did happen in this make-believe world, we would have lost. We won because the things that happened happened. If other things happened, we might win another way, or not.

I am sure both sides will feel good about "that won't happen again" when we meet in DAY.

if Holmes makes 8-13, does Tobi make the front end of the 2 one and ones? Does Max not trip over his own feet bringing the ball up unguarded? Does he make a couple of baskets, since he was averaging 15ppg coming in? Does Fermin make one or two or three of those 5 footers in the lane that no one guarded?

In any close game you can play this "what if" stuff. It isn't productive IMHO. It is true that if the bad things that happened to DAY didn't happen, and the bad things that happened to us did happen in this make-believe world, we would have lost. We won because the things that happened happened. If other things happened, we might win another way, or not.

I am sure both sides will feel good about "that won't happen again" when we meet in DAY.
He is a 68% FT shooter. so yes, 8-13- 61%

We missed at least 5 bunnies as well.

If we're what iffing, the biggest one to me is Brea's late corner 3 that bounced out. 47% shooter gets a relatively clean look and misses. That's why we play the games though - luck is always a factor.

Back