Maynor Article: Not Flattering

I dunno, seemed pretty objective to me. He was certainly better at our level than he might've been elsewhere, at least as a scorer. And for a 6-2 or 6-3 guy he doesn't get above the rim at all. The NBA is going to be a different world from what he is used to. Odds are he does have a decent career as a backup but won't be an all-star.

nice to see actually...hope he is wrong but it is sorta like everyone predicting us to beat UCLA...i hate everyone picked us to beat UCLA..the kiss of death...put that on Eric's dresser top and let hiim read it everyday

I'm always skeptical of people doubting his upside. I think the boy can probably get above the rim just fine, but that's not really his style of offense.

Take it as a grain of salt...This guy makes some good points but he probably hasn't seen Maynor play other than a couple ESPN games and the NCAA Tourney. I do have a problem with "His decision-making as a passer is not as refined as it really needs to be. He can stand to improve the delivery and placement of his passes. Maynor isn’t especially creative in this facet of his game..." I think we can all agree that Maynor is an excellent passer. Good to see the other side though. I have faith Maynor will have a good career in the Association.

Didnt say it wasnt objective just not the praise that everyone else seems to be posting from other articles.

I agree with a lot of what was said, disagree with some as well. I just don't agree with the criticism of his game that was developed because he was a VCU player and that is what it took for VCU to win. No, he didn't move much off of the ball because he rarely had to, he didn't go inside against bigs because he rarely had to, he didn't use a lot of screens because he didn't need to. So far he has played in a way that allowed VCU to be the most successful while he was here, not to improve his NBA resume. I am highly confident that he will adapt his game to the professional level. I think the biggest challenge at the beginning will be playing 3 or 4 mins at a time and making himself stand out. He will have to get use to not having the entire 40 min and just being able to really turn it on at the end where he thrived at VCU. Honestly though this is probably the most critical article that has been written about Eric's chances in the NBA. He mentions several strengths of Eric's game while pointing out areas that he has not yet excelled in and closes the article by saying that he will most likely be a backup that plays 15-20 mins a game. While I think he can be more after a few seasons in the league if you are in the NBA and your feet touch the court in every game that is a huge deal.

The closer we get to the draft, the more it seems some people are pulling the CAA card on Eric.

Sure, I'm a homer...a lot of us are, but I really think Eric could have a GREAT NBA career. People are really discounting his ability to score and attack the basket...and he's been double teamed the majority of his career.

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2009/04/eri ... s-schools/

An "article" I wrote on Eric v. BCS schools. Almost 21 points per game, 4 boards, 2.6 steals and 6 assists...CAREER. Those numbers don't lie.

Eric Maynor is going to surprise a ton of people at the next level.

Natty said:
The closer we get to the draft, the more it seems some people are pulling the CAA card on Eric.

There's a reason the people that are pulling the CAA card are writers and not coaches/scouts. If they were any good at scouting they would be getting paid to actually make decisions, rather than write about them.

I like Maynor as much as anyone here, but his probability of success in the NBA is very iffy. He won't be playing a down Duke team or a mediocre Maryland squad - - and he'll be trying to get that floater off against the Dwight Howards, Kevin Garnetts and Yao Mings of the world. Given that jump in competition no one on this board really has a clue what to expect from him.

This is the guy who said in 2005 that the Cleveland Cavaliers should TRADE Lebron James, in a Herschel Walker type of trade. So there's some perspective.

A bunch of articles say overwhelmingly positive things about him, you watched him for 4 years, this guy probably saw the Duke and UCLA game and made up his mind. Maynor was like clay, he was sculpted himself into whatever his team needed him to be at the time and was amazing at it. There are few things he couldn't do. Of course against the next level of talent you never know, but he always had his best games against the better teams.

The article was a little harsh but I'm not surprised because Maynor is coming from the CAA. Unfortunately that means some will look down on him and look pass his talent. I think his ball handling was targeted too much. Maynor does get picked occasionally but its not like he's easily stripped. I think his 3 pointers are at a pretty good point as of now. He can clearly hit NBA range and as the article states he had a good 3pt percentage. Its weird that he says Maynor could fit in at any heavyweight program yet he has so many criticisms. He also assumes CAA means easy shots. So it sounds like he's saying Maynor had good shooting ability but he was in the CAA so that's expected. At the same time he should be able to play at high major levels. Seems like a little clashing there.

Obviously this guy did not do his reasearch. First of all VCU is not a small school. We have over 32,000 enrolled larger than most all of the Acc schools. And what did he mean by saying Maynor needed a lot of space to create off of the dribble. Did he not watch the game when Maynor single handedly stole the game from GMU in the CAA finals in 2007.He says Maynors defense is lacking. I accept objective reviews but clearly if you read this article this guy is straight Playa-Hat'n on Maynor. I think a lot of people are going to be surpised when he hits the NBA. I am not surpised though because if you are not from one of the so called name brand conferences it is hard to get good press although for the most part most reports have been very positve. :ugeek: :ugeek:

xjohnx said:
Natty said:

There's a reason the people that are pulling the CAA card are writers and not coaches/scouts. If they were any good at scouting they would be getting paid to actually make decisions, rather than write about them.

What he said.

Back