Mock draft has Larry going to Utah in first round

ChiaPete said:
Yea, but the perimeter skills they're looking for is more of the 15 ft variety; however, I would agree that he probably needs a year to get to where we can dump the ball down low and he will just score. But the money isn't going to be there forever and he should leave if he's still around the top 20 level.

Remember, the three pointers he's taking now aren't NBA threes. For the NBA, they're reasonable length.

I hope Larry stays all four years, but it'll only take a couple monster games at the end of the year to put him on the front burner. Four rebound games in November will be forgotten, just like 0 points and 1 rebound games from last year were forgotten. Moreover, teams first want Larry for his defensive abilities. As for the fouls, we're talking about a guy who might get 10 to 15 minutes to start out and he'll have 6 fouls to work with. He'll be able to swat away.

Larry's draft status will not be determined by a couple of monster games at the end of the year. It will be determined by what the NBA scouts see when they attend VCU games. He played in front of 18 scouts Saturday night. No doubt he will get other chances to play in front of scouts. I would not consider the VCU/Oklahoma game stellar for either Larry or Willie Warren. Yes, Larry hit a three. However, his rebounding performance was horrible. I'm pretty sure the scouts were there to see Larry rebound/block shots more than they were there to see him shoot threes.

Larry will have plenty of practice on his rebounding if we keep missing every three we take on the road

Mercury said:
Larry will have plenty of practice on his rebounding if we keep missing every three we take on the road

Mercury, I'm with you on that one. We ware way too dependant on the three. And watching Larry also shoot the three makes me cringe. If we continue to depend on the three you can bet there will be other WMU games on the horizon. This offense needs to run through Larry down low first when we are in the half court before we start bombing threes. Of course, Larry needs to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor.

I still think Skeen could be the wild card for VCU this year. He has the potential to put up scoring/rebounding stats as good, if not better, than Larry. Particularly if he can stay on the floor and Larry continues to get into foul trouble.

Mercury said:

Man Merc...you are really negative...give the guys a break. Its early in the season...

VCUBeatsduke

VCUBeatsduke said:
Mercury said:

Man Merc...you are really negative...give the guys a break. Its early in the season...

VCUBeatsduke

Negative but right

Negative is negative.

Everyone knew Monday night would be a letdown after the OU win - just as Coach Smart said...its only human nature to have a letdown. I fault our schedulers more than the players - thats a pretty tough turnaround for a team so early in the season.

Lets do what we can to support our team!!! Go Rams!

VCUBeatsduke

PS: How about Drexel playing Niagara at 8:00 AM in the morning last week? Talk about a tough schedule for the players...

VCUBeatsduke said:
Negative is negative.

Everyone knew Monday night would be a letdown after the OU win - just as Coach Smart said...its only human nature to have a letdown. I fault our schedulers more than the players - thats a pretty tough turnaround for a team so early in the season.

Lets do what we can to support our team!!! Go Rams!

VCUBeatsduke

PS: How about Drexel playing Niagara at 8:00 AM in the morning last week? Talk about a tough schedule for the players...

If Blain Taylor said something like that there would be a three page thread going on about how he always comes up with excuses. I love the Rams but ballers can play no matter where they are.

New avy matches me negativity

Mercury said:
If Blain Taylor said something like that there would be a three page thread going on about how he always comes up with excuses. I love the Rams but ballers can play no matter where they are.

Excuses for what? We won on the road by double digits.

There's no reason to be happy.

Larry's only averaging 12 ppg, 5 rpg, he has 11 blocks, 4 assists and 3 turnovers on the year, and he's shooting over 53% from the field. In addition, we're 3-1, with a pounding of the 17th ranked team in the country.

No, there's no reason for happiness or optimism. We need excuses why we're not winning by more. :lol: :lol: Because we've always played perfect during OOC play in the past. Particularly in away games, where we were a stellar 0-3 last season, losing to lowly East Carolina.

One thing I would like to see is for us to be a little less protective of Larry as far as sitting him down after a foul or two... at least in the ooc part of the schedule. Getting himself fouled out might impress upon him a lesson that the protective benching does not. That said, I mean less protective, not completely unprotective.

I guess you can blame me for being negative also. I think what people are losing sight of is how fragile this team is and will be due to the number of threes they are taking. The stars were aligned perfectly against Oklahoma. They definitely were not against WMU. Until we get a presence down low, which should be Larry not shooting threes, we are going to be on a roller coaster. Personally, my big concern is the lack of rebounding we are currently getting from Larry. No way TJ should be out rebounding Larry. That tells me Larry is probably playing too far away from the basket on defense.

artRAMinMN said:
One thing I would like to see is for us to be a little less protective of Larry as far as sitting him down after a foul or two... at least in the ooc part of the schedule. Getting himself fouled out might impress upon him a lesson that the protective benching does not. That said, I mean less protective, not completely unprotective.

Maybe Larry needs to treat the first half like it's the second half. It seems like he has to get 2 fouls in the first half and sit for a while before he figures out what he needs to do to stay in the game. I just don't understand why that seems to be happening every game.

VRam said:
Mercury said:

Excuses for what? We won on the road by double digits.

There's no reason to be happy.

Larry's only averaging 12 ppg, 5 rpg, he has 11 blocks, 4 assists and 3 turnovers on the year, and he's shooting over 53% from the field. In addition, we're 3-1, with a pounding of the 17th ranked team in the country.

No, there's no reason for happiness or optimism. We need excuses why we're not winning by more. :lol: :lol: Because we've always played perfect during OOC play in the past. Particularly in away games, where we were a stellar 0-3 last season, losing to lowly East Carolina.

We won, but we did not play that good of a game..you can play a bad game and beat a bad team but you can't play a bad game against a good team.

artRAMinMN said:

I agree, Larry will never learn how to play with fouls if he gets taken out after every one. When he gets 4 like Art said let him stay in and foul out or learn to play with composure so he doesnt

Mercury said:
We won, but we did not play that good of a game..you can play a bad game and beat a bad team but you can't play a bad game against a good team.

We won, but we didn't play that good of a game? Oh, ok. I've got news for you, no team plays well every game, and it's very common for road teams to shoot poorly. It happens more often than not.

As for Larry, when he's in the game, the other team never gets a good look inside. Everything is rushed and/or altered. I hate it when he gets in foul trouble too, but he didn't get to be an intimidator by standing over in the corner wearing a dress.

We're gonna be good. And Art's right, we don't need to be as protective of Larry with the fouls. I'm guessing we won't be once Skeen is eligible and even more so when Saintil gets back.

Back