Mock draft has Larry going to Utah in first round

I know the NBA drafts on potential as much as current readiness, but Larry looks to be a few years away from NBA ready to me. The guy has to learn to stay inside with his back to the basket. He's actually showing some post moves when he is in there so it's a shame he's playing the 2 guard and wingman spot now :lol:

Actually I think its the opposite. The more perimeter skills he shows the more desireable he'll be on the next level. If you think he struggles in the post on the college level imagine his struggles in the NBA.

Rambunctious said:
I know the NBA drafts on potential as much as current readiness, but Larry looks to be a few years away from NBA ready to me. The guy has to learn to stay inside with his back to the basket. He's actually showing some post moves when he is in there so it's a shame he's playing the 2 guard and wingman spot now :lol:

IMO I think if Larry can start to knock those 3's down he should take them, the defense is leaving him wide open and I've seen him in warm-ups knock them down consistently. ;)

His shot actually looks pretty good. Maybe he could be another Bob McAdoo or Maurice Lucas. :lol: The big problem is that when he come out high, we have no one to hit the offensive glass. That could change when Skeen is eligible.

VRam said:
His shot actually looks pretty good. Maybe he could be another Bob McAdoo or Maurice Lucas. :lol: The big problem is that when he come out high, we have no one to hit the offensive glass. That could change when Skeen is eligible.

Exactly. I'm not particularly bothered by Larry shooting from outside when situation calls for it (he does seem to have decent form, and it could stretch opponent Ds). What does bother me is that it has seemed like when it happens, the rest of the team isn't ready for it, and it disrupts things, and everybody else is outside with him watching. When Skeen, and later Saintil, are available we should be able to play 2 or more bigs at once and have rebounding backup down low.

ramramthankyoumaam said:
Haha. That would be sweet if it wasn't going to change a million times before the draft. :)

Yes, and besides, that mock draft loses all credibility for not including consensus CAA player of the year Gerald Lee. :lol:

Mistachill said:
Actually I think its the opposite. The more perimeter skills he shows the more desireable he'll be on the next level. If you think he struggles in the post on the college level imagine his struggles in the NBA.

Yea, but the perimeter skills they're looking for is more of the 15 ft variety; however, I would agree that he probably needs a year to get to where we can dump the ball down low and he will just score. But the money isn't going to be there forever and he should leave if he's still around the top 20 level.

I might be in the minority here, or maybe I confused the issue. I guess it's more...

We need Larry to play inside for us to be successful. We have plenty of guys to hit the 3...that shoot it better than him. Right now we are not a great rebounding and low post scoring team and I think part of it is Larry is not in the game period, or when he is in the game he is on the high post or on the perimeter. Bradford and TJ both look to have their back to the basket more than Larry and that seems out of whack to me.

At the NBA level, he doesn't look ready from a strength/rebounding/positioning stand point. He should be a grabbing a lot more 'bounds than he is right now. Regardless of his outside potential, I would think the NBA scouts would like to see a 6-11 guy post up a bit.

Rambunctious said:
. Bradford and TJ both look to have their back to the basket more than Larry and that seems out of whack to me.

Those guys have been playing forever and plus they never had the advantage of being the biggest guy on the court so they had to actually learn some moves.

I could see Larry still going based on potential....but if he wants to crack the first round at the end of this year, like Rambunctious said, he's gonna have to start playing like a big man.

He's currently averaging just a bit more (4.8) rebounds than fouls (4). He's also 3rd on our team in rebounds behind a guy who's 6'5 (Brad) and another at 6'4 (TJ).

Larry is capable up posting "Griffin-like" numbers, but he needs to start camping out under the basket to do it..a la Blake.

Not about readiness, its about potential. He could grab 4 rebounds and score 8 points, but if he makes a couple of plays 99% of players can't make, scouts begin to drool.

I bet most scouts project that Larry probably won't make a living in the NBA in the post. I see Larry as an Andray Blatche type.

Rambunctious said:
.At the NBA level, he doesn't look ready from a strength/rebounding/positioning stand point. He should be a grabbing a lot more 'bounds than he is right now. Regardless of his outside potential, I would think the NBA scouts would like to see a 6-11 guy post up a bit.

If you look at that mock draft closely, you will see Larry's stock has dropped. He was previously projected 14 in the first round and now he is 18. I'm sure his lack of rebounding and foul trouble are beginning to have an impact on his rating. No way Bradford and TJ should be averaging more rebounds than Larry.

We are 4 games into the season and it is quite apparent Larry still hasn't figured out what he needs to do to stay on the floor, particularly in the first half. Has he had a game yet where he didn't get in foul trouble in the first half?

I also don't think he is ready for the NBA after this year. I would rather see him play another year of college ball and improve his game than to see him go to the NBA and ride the pine, which is what he is going to do if he skips his senior year at VCU.

Back