Most underrated VCU players?

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Hate to see guys like TJ and KP graduate because not only are they great guys, but probably two of the more underrated players we've had here at VCU.

So I ask you guys...who are some of the most underrated VCU players you've seen?

I'll throw out another, Derrick Reid. Always thought he surprised me, played some solid minutes back in the days of Capel.

Calvin Roland. He quietly went about his business, but was a solid presence in the post for us.

DB beat me to it....

....in which case I will have to go with Willie Taylor. Yes, he was pretty widely considered the best player on the team for a year or two, but with regards to some of the all-time greats at VCU, Willie's name very rarely comes up.

Always good to see Derrick "Throw My Boo the Ball" Reid get some love :)

based on the unforgivingly lofty expectations seen around here this season... maybe Eric Maynor?

How about Michael Brown? We always hear about Calvin, Rolando, Schlegel, but not much about Brown. He was a big piece of some of those highly successful VCU teams in the 80's.

Bernard Hopkins. Bernard's name is rarely mentioned when we talk about great VCU players. Therefore, I'll nominate him as the most underated VCU player. Recruited to play in the Metro conference, he dominated the CAA during our first year in the conference. He could turn, shoot and kiss it off the glass with the best of them!

I'm gonna say Kenny Stancell. He was a beast who could dominate on both ends of the floor. Really good offensive skills, incredibly strong, athletic, and probably the best big man finisher we've had besides Kendrick. When he got hot, nobody could really stop him.

I admit to being a point guard apologist, but I was always a big fan of Sherm Hamilton and Vince Wilson--all they did was take care of business. Maybe Elander Lewis? Hopkins definitely in the mix of "superstars whose names don't roll off your tongue." Tyron McCoy is in that discussion, too.

And if I may predict the future without changing the goal of this thread: five years from now Joey Rodriguez is on the list.

Sherman Hamilton...thought he was always a solid, cerebral PG

Ivan Chappell...Atrocious free throw technique aside....dude was a blue collar banger

Ahh these names bring back some good memories. My introduction to VCU basketball included those players from the 96 NCAA team that nearly took down Miss St. Hopkins (great pump fake with great touch off the glass), Hamilton I( I agree.... cerebral), Chappell (he had a pretty funky looking 3 pt stroke as well but was a pretty tenacious defender getting official CAA props for it one year)...fun team to watch. It was a great CAA final that year as well if I recall. Another down to the wire nailbiter. Easy to see why I became addicted to VCU basketball watching that team.

I think Charles Kennedy-25% lifetime from half court-nobody can touch that plus over 7,000 pizzas-I say retire his jersey number--, er room number, er SS number?

Back