My glass is half full...

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
We lost to a hot team with some solid wins, on the road...by 1 point.

Get a chance to pick up a solid OOC game this Saturday and have a week to prepare for it.

Soon we ad a 6'8 Wake Forest transfer who can shoot the three.

W&M isn't winning the CAA tournament in Richmond, so let them build their resume for that at large bid to come dancing with us.

That's all I got.

I agree. Noon game, in W'burg, small crowd. Lets just move on to the next. No reason to jump off the boat.

Natty said:
We lost to a hot team with some solid wins, on the road...by 1 point.

Get a chance to pick up a solid OOC game this Saturday and have a week to prepare for it.

Soon we ad a 6'8 Wake Forest transfer who can shoot the three.

W&M isn't winning the CAA tournament in Richmond, so let them build their resume for that at large bid to come dancing with us.

That's all I got.

Indeed, this is a good basketball team. We need to work on maintaining a lead and our rebounding problems will be mitigated with the eligibility of Skeen. Wins versus Richmond and Tulane and this loss will be erased from memory just as the wins against Nevada and RI did to the WMU loss. I'm not an RPI guru but can't imagine this will hurt our RPI too much and there-go our at large resume. Chin up Fellas.

vcubanana said:
I agree. Noon game, in W'burg, small crowd. Lets just move on to the next. No reason to jump off the boat.
I'm still jumpin!!! lol jk, yeah it does stink but Ed Nix is lookin sick...

Agreed. While there are definitely still areas to improve on, I obviously feel much better after this loss than the Western Michigan loss. William & Mary looks to be a very good team this year and we hung tough, plus we get a chance to avenge the loss at the Stu later. You can't win 'em all (usually), and while it's gut wrenching to lose a game you seemingly had in hand, I'd rather it be a close effort like this than a downright whooping.

You also gotta love the maturation of Ed Nixon...

We gotta find consistency from our guys but you gotta love how our players are attacking the basket. Ed showed in his final play just what he can bring to the table. He's also been money from long range. Confidence...it helps.

It's still early, we still lost a PG to the NBA...and we still have a new coach with a new system.

I'll tell you this, nobody is going to want to draw this team come CAA tourny time. More weapons and athletic ability than any other team in this league.

And I'm hearing we may get Big-T back at Tulane as well as Skeens.

Tough game, tough loss, but guess what guys? It won't be the last.

Give them their due, they played a tough game and beat us. We held them under their average for threes, but we allowed them to score too many in the paint. They out scored us in the paint, who would have thought that? In fact, they beat us in most of the ways we beat teams- In the paint, second chance points, points off turnovers; all the hustle type stats. And I don't think they out hustled us. Things just fell right for them this time.

They still have to come to our place.

Richmond is next. I heard today that there are only about 500 tickets left. Let's buy them up to keep the Spider fans outside.

Good post Rick. We couldn't escape the tough loss. And it is one that is hard to swallow, especially if you caught the game on person or tv, but nonetheles, this is nothing new. Losses happen. The key is to use this a building block for the rest of the season. GO RAMS!

fmrick said:

Give them their due, they played a tough game and beat us. We held them under their average for threes, but we allowed them to score too many in the paint. They out scored us in the paint, who would have thought that? In fact, they beat us in most of the ways we beat teams- In the paint, second chance points, points off turnovers; all the hustle type stats. And I don't think they out hustled us. Things just fell right for them this time.

Richmond is next. I heard today that there are only about 500 tickets left. Let's buy them up to keep the Spider fans outside.
sir I believe you are incorrect...at least according to Joey..(yes I'm a facebook stalker)

Joey Rodriquez IV said:
can a group of refs really be that bad? we will not lose again

Says the kid who was flustered by 50 kids yelling airball at him all game....

On another note, what was up with Joey's hand/wrist? Maybe that affected his game today.

fmrick said:

I agree tough loss, other than a few mental lapses I think we played decent. A friend purchased tickets last week for the Richmond game and all that was left are the corners, should be a great game and coming off this loss I predict VCU win by 12! 8-)

P.S. When is the deadly shooter eligible again....Gavin, since OU 1-14 (0.07143%) not the stats of a sharpshooter. Still Rusty?.....Maybe Streaky?......Overhyped?

vcubanana said:
Says the kid who was flustered by 50 kids yelling airball at him all game....

On another note, what was up with Joey's hand/wrist? Maybe that affected his game today.

I remember Joey hurt his hand in the exhibition game against Union not sure if it is the same injury but it was swollen pretty bad after that game.

While I am not jumping off the boat that I have been on since 1978, I believe that right now we are only really good at half the game.

It is easier for a really good team to take the lead....it is much harder for a really good team to keep the lead.

Right now we don't do a very good job at keeping the lead. What is worse is that we can't keep a lead when that lead is really big!

It could be because we have a pretty young-old team - meaning we have a number of players who haven't played a lot of minutes although they have been with the team for 2-3 years. I'm not sure we are completely gelling as of yet. I noticed that once we started to lose our lead, our assist numbers basically stagnated while W&M's numbers increased. We stopped playing team ball and started playing 3 point ball with marginal defense.

I'm sure the players and coaches will have us back on track and we will be where we want to be come February. But right now, as I suspected we are not all there. And adding Skeenand Santil to the mix won't help if we aren't playing as a team.

Ok, as per my boat analogy, it is time to go out on deck, grab a beer, sit by the pool, and watch all the pretty girls walk by and then look away when the occasional fat chick lumbers past.

Back