NCAA Tourney Selection Hatin

rammad90

Elite Member
Fellow Rams,

Whatever you position on this years team, Coach Smart, or the state of Ram Nation in general. One thing is clear, we aint dancing this year.

Towards that end, I decided to start a new topic where we can focus all of the spirited hatin we have been directing toward one an other over the past few weeks.

Here goes, How the heck is VA Tech a lock in the NCAA when they are 23-7, their overall overall strength of schedule is 129 their rpi is only 50, thier out of conference stregnth of schedule is over around 200. Answer they play in the ACC.

We were counted out long ago 22-9, strength of schedule 132 out of conference strength of schedule around 90 or so rpi 65.

Come on Tech had the easiest schedule in the ACC only playing most of the good teams once due to the lopsided scheduling this year. And their out of conference schedule was a joke.

Shaka muked it up. But I bet we could beat the Hokies, and would have done as good or better than 23-7 with their schedule. Heck they didnt beat Richmond, URI, or anyone like that out of conference.

They almost lost to Delaware winning by a basket at the end yes Delaware.

BCS conferences indeed. I am not saying we are deserving. But there must be some Mid Major out there who is. W&Mm for instance was 2-0 in the ACC this year and beat Richmond. I know they have three bad losses but that is simply conference play.

Let the hate begin!!!!

But I bet we could beat the Hokies, and would have done as good or better than 23-7 with their schedule.

i think this rams team would have been hard pressed to be sitting at 23-7 (10-6 in conference) in the acc this year. i don't follow the line of thinking that we would have less losses this season in acc play than we did in our own mid-major conference. thinking that we would be better than 23-7 with their schedule is, well, nuts.

buckwheat said:
But I bet we could beat the Hokies, and would have done as good or better than 23-7 with their schedule.

i think this rams team would have been hard pressed to be sitting at 23-7 (10-6 in conference) in the acc this year. i don't follow the line of thinking that we would have less losses this season in acc play than we did in our own mid-major conference. thinking that we would be better than 23-7 with their schedule is, well, nuts.

If you look at the Hokies out of conference schedule. Just look at their schedule Wheat and dont let the ACC gloss blind you. Their OOC schedule was very week. They lost to Temple the only tough team on that schedule. Heck Delaware took them to overtime Delaware Wheat Delaware. Both times we played those guys we beat em handily. Also, we beat a Richmond team that destroyed Temple.

Really, their schedule wasnt much more difficult than ours. They played a few ranked ACC teams but did not beat one of them on the road. They played the Florida States, Miami, BC, UVA, NC State and Carolina twice. Those were hardly the power of the ACC this year. The teams they played once were GT, Wake, Duke, and Maryland.

Maybe we dont do better but we dont do worse. If they had played our OOC schedule they most definitely would have lost to Richmond, URI, and Nevada.

Maybe not better but certainly not much worse.

don't get me wrong. i definitely see what your saying. vpi without a doubt had a weak ooc schedule.

it's just that i don't think the rams would have been 10-6 in the acc, even with the schedule vpi had.

we'll agree to disagree. either way, i still hate vpi.

[

we'll agree to disagree. either way, i still hate vpi.[/quote]

Agreed.

The Hokies resume looked good in my eyes, until they played that Duke game on the Sunday night game and losing by 12, which is expected. But then you play a must win statement game at Boston College and get trounced by 20. Then, follow that up with a loss at home against Maryland. Tough to convince me you're worthy of an At-large when you drop 3 straight in late February with one of those losses at home.

Not sayin, just sayin!

Not sure if this is still the case, but when I last checked Va Tech's non-conference schedule 10 of their 14 games were against teams with losing records, some with HORRIBLE records.

vcubanana said:
The Hokies resume looked good in my eyes, until they played that Duke game on the Sunday night game and losing by 12, which is expected. But then you play a must win statement game at Boston College and get trounced by 20. Then, follow that up with a loss at home against Maryland. Tough to convince me you're worthy of an At-large when you drop 3 straight in late February with one of those losses at home.

Not sayin, just sayin!

Well almost. I'm pretty sure Towson/UNC would've been a nailbiter

Virginia Tech's resume is misleading.

True, they are 10-6 in the ACC, but since the ACC schedule is unbalanced (like the CAA's), and they only play 16 games in conference, they only play five teams in the conference twice per season. Usually two or three of those are rivalry games. For Virginia Tech, they just so happened to play the five teams in the bottom half of the standings twice each. They only had Dook once (road loss), Maryland once (home loss... in double-OT), Georgia Tech once (road win), Florida State once (road loss), Wake once (home win), and Clemson once (home win). All their other conference wins were against teams outside the RPI top 100, and two of their losses were to NC State and Boston College, both on the road. That's why their Strength of Schedule is 148 despite playing a full ACC schedule.

To make matters worse, Virginia Tech has an abysmal non-conference Strength of Schedule of 340. (Remember: there are 347 teams in all of Division 1.) They have 8 wins over teams outside the RPI top 200, 3 wins over teams outside the RPI top 300. VMI, Longwood, UM-Baltimore County, Campbell, North Carolina Central... the list goes on.

Tech fans will argue that they scheduled a game at Penn State, the team who won the NIT last and had most of their squad returning, and that there was no way to know they would be as bad as they were this year. (Ironically, Penn State ended up in the NIT despite 24 wins and a winning record in the Big Ten because of their weak non-conference resume.) Aside from Penn State, Virginia Tech scheduled Georgia and Iowa, two teams who finished in the cellars of their respective conferences. They did beat Seton Hall, which is the only other good win on their resume.

In my mind, I don't think they deserve a bid, but the ESPN talking heads keep going back to "10-6 in the ACC!" to justify why they do. They seem to forget that Syracuse went 10-6 in the Big East a couple years ago and missed the field for the exact same reason.

Perhaps an ACC/CAA challenge???

We would lose a few more than we win, but I'd like to see it!

Have any of you actually seen VT more than once this year? I've watched most of their games (my better half is a VT grad), and they are good. They absolutely belong in the dance. Yes, they had a weak OOC schedule, but they are legit. I say they'll be a #9.

EDIT: This is a good example of why being on TV all the time helps. After watching them play, they are much better than a #50 RPI.

I'm just going on what I've seen the Selection Committee do in the past. Last year Siena earned a 9-seed in the tournament despite 0 wins against top-50 teams outside of conference play.

Back