New recruit target for next year

If Grayson signs, we'd have eight perimeter non-seniors on scholarship in 2009-2010.

Frosh - Grayson, Theus, Daniels
Sophs - Burgess, Gavin
Juniors - Rodriguez, Rozzell, Nixon

That's a serious logjam............especially if all are healthy and none redshirt. That group would be splitting 120 minutes a game (at the one, two, and three).

Given that mix, I'd think we'd have a tough time convincing any big-time perimeter player to join the Rams in 2010-11.........unless, of course, the staff is less than enthusiastic about some our existing perimeter folks.

Barring something unforeseen, and assuming Grayson inks, I'd bet that all of our 2010 signees will be "bigs."

That being said, if a big-time perimeter player was to sign with the Rams in 2010, I'm sure one of our existing perimeter players would likely be leaving as result. I can't see the Rams carrying more than eight perimeter scholarship players on the roster in any given year.

Shaka may be the type of coach that will recruit in excess of 13 schollies in any given year (like Calipari and others) and then "whittle" it down to 13 by "suggesting" that folks find another school where they can play. We shall see.........

I spoke to anthony at the boo williams tourney. He was a very nice young man and definitely has game. He went toe to toe with Josh Smith of Seattle who is one of the best big men in the 2010 class. Anthony would be a huge catch for VCU. he is in the 6-9 range and left handed...can score and has a nice drop step. he plays hard...he seemed interested in vcu when i mentioned eric maynor. Eric came and watched him play for a few minutes :)

I spoke to anthony at the boo williams tourney. He was a very nice young man and definitely has game. He went toe to toe with Josh Smith of Seattle who is one of the best big men in the 2010 class. Anthony would be a huge catch for VCU. he is in the 6-9 range and left handed...can score and has a nice drop step. he plays hard...he seemed interested in vcu when i mentioned eric maynor. Eric came and watched him play for a few minutes :)

I'm hoping we can keep a good stream of recruits coming here and the program morphs into a Gonzaga type program with lots of talent year after year with good opportunities to make the NCAA touney with an at large. The 2009/10 schedule is looking up with regards to opportunites for this, now all we need is the recruits..the coaches...and the wins.

The Athletic Department appears to have a commitment to win. Kudos to them.

Back