New VCU themed bar to open on Broad St

northside_ram

Elite Member
Insider

Look, there's no replacing Baja, and nothing has even come close to a home for VCU games since it closed. But I think this place is going to be the next best thing. They're all in on VCU. This is right on Broad between Meadow and Alison. 4,000 square feet. Looks like they'll be showing all games with sound on.

"A fast-growing restaurant group has inked yet another deal, this time for a sports bar in Rams country.
Earlier this week Lindsey Food Group signed a lease for 2035 W. Broad St., where it’s planning to open Rams House Bar + Kitchen.

The local group, behind such restaurants as Lillie Pearl and Buttermilk and Honey, is taking over the roughly 4,000-square-foot space that’s been vacant since Pies & Pints closed there last fall after four years in the Fan. Mike Lindsey, who leads Lindsey Food Group with wife Kimberly Love-Lindsey, said the plan is for Rams House to have the vibe of a sports bar but to celebrate all things Virginia Commonwealth University, not just the athletics department.

It’s for VCU arts, engineering, medical, political science – whatever schools you can think of,” Mike Lindsey said. “It’s for everything VCU, but I’d definitely say it has a sports bar vibe.”

Himself a North Carolina native and Elizabeth City State University alum, Lindsey said he’s drawing inspiration from the bars and restaurants in places such as Chapel Hill that emphasize the local university.

"I grew up a UNC fan, and in those college cities, they have something that caters to the school,” he said. “I feel like there isn’t a true place (in Richmond) that dedicates itself to VCU.”

Rams House’s menu will include wings, pizza and a variety of sliders, and Lindsey said the plans are to have a full cocktail menu and 36 beers on tap.

The lease for the space was finalized this week, with Sperity Real Estate Ventures’ Nathan Hughes and Veronica King Wiles representing the Lindseys in lease negotiations.

Lindsey said the aim is to open Rams House sometime in June.

Kimberly Love-Lindsey and Mike Lindsey

“I grew up a UNC fan, and in those college cities, they have something that caters to the school,” he said. “I feel like there isn’t a true place (in Richmond) that dedicates itself to VCU.”

Another VCU Heel!

Since you are known for your discriminating taste, you need to go there and sample the menu. Get back to us with a full report so we can consider this place as a replacement for Baja.

Already posted with multiple posts and the video in the media mentions thread this morning.

Since you are known for your discriminating taste, you need to go there and sample the menu. Get back to us with a full report so we can consider this place as a replacement for Baja.
I’ll definitely try it. I’m skeptical that it can replace Baja. I tried to get City Beach to be that place and the manager there worked hard to make it a good replacement. But a lot of people thought it was too expensive compared to Baja. I doubt this place’s price point will be any different. And that was before Covid. It‘s seemed even harder to get VCU fans organized for a regular away game bar the last 2 seasons. I’ve been doing Curbside a lot for away VCU games because the food is good and they have 7 TV and will have the game sound. But it’s not a big place.

At least they’ll never show a Redskins game there.
That's fine, I don't watch them anymore anyways. I just keep the username to piss off WestendEd

But a lot of people thought it was too expensive compared to Baja
That's weird because City Beach is one of the cheapest places in town. Maybe they're comparing it to Baja circa 2010 😂

Last edited:
I might consider this place for pregaming every once in a while, but it’s further away from the Stu than the Camel and that’s already a pretty decent walk when you’re trying to finish up your food and beer at the last minute and walk over to the game… especially when the weather is nasty.

I might consider this place for pregaming every once in a while, but it’s further away from the Stu than the Camel and that’s already a pretty decent walk when you’re trying to finish up your food and beer at the last minute and walk over to the game… especially when the weather is nasty.
We can get buzzed and ride those scooters they rent on the street.

Last edited:

I was thinking more for away games, but for us non-season ticket holders, it could be a fun spot to hang for some home games.

Back