New VCU themed bar to open on Broad St

The automatic gratuity is becoming more common. I know a restaurant owner and she does it to help retain staff. At her restaurant it’s clearly stated on the menu.
It was on the tab but it was mixed with the meal's tax so I would say that it was not clearly stated. I would have still tipped the bartender over the 20% but certainly not given 25% on top of it. Oh well. He got a good tip. I will know next time. Weird thing I noticed was that we went at 11 am on a Sunday and left around 1 pm. We were the only people there for that 2 hour stretch.

I imagine they get a lot of students that don’t tip. But they still should have been more upfront about it.
Yep very true, and to your point, they should be upfront about it. Let me know up front so I can address prompt service for that 20% gratuity, and we're propbably good. I typically tip 20%.

The automatic gratuity is becoming more common. I know a restaurant owner and she does it to help retain staff. At her restaurant it’s clearly stated on the menu.
Train your staff to work for the 20%, and they'll usually get it, and more if they're doing their jobs right.

I know I know.... old man yelling at the clouds.

Reactions: SWV
Train your staff to work for the 20%, and they'll usually get it, and more if they're doing their jobs right.

I know I know.... old man yelling at the clouds.
OK Mr. Pink
BK4.gif

It was on the tab but it was mixed with the meal's tax so I would say that it was not clearly stated. I would have still tipped the bartender over the 20% but certainly not given 25% on top of it. Oh well. He got a good tip. I will know next time. Weird thing I noticed was that we went at 11 am on a Sunday and left around 1 pm. We were the only people there for that 2 hour stretch.
Good job AA. You made somebody's day by doing that. Especially if you were the only people there.

We encountered the “service fee” at the Boathouse last year, then they wanted to know if we also wanted to leave a tip. The service was crappy, so needless to say, we left the forced tip, and nothing more (and would‘ve left less if given the option). If they’re auto adding a tip, the service better be d*mn good. They did have signs posted at each table, so we knew it (even if we weren’t happy about it).

We encountered the “service fee” at the Boathouse last year, then they wanted to know if we also wanted to leave a tip. The service was crappy, so needless to say, we left the forced tip, and nothing more (and would‘ve left less if given the option). If they’re auto adding a tip, the service better be d*mn good. They did have signs posted at each table, so we knew it (even if we weren’t happy about it).
Actually ate there the last time I was in town and while our service was acceptable and the manager stopped by a couple of times, I did see different a server providing less than ideal service at other tables.

Actually ate there the last time I was in town and while our service was acceptable and the manager stopped by a couple of times, I did see different a server providing less than ideal service at other tables.
It was a bad night the last time we were there. I don't know if they were short staffed, had a bunch of new people, or something else. But we haven't been back since, and went to Hard Shell the next time we wanted seafood.

and went to Hard Shell the next time we wanted seafood.
Earlier in our marriage, my wife and I used to go there anytime we had a "special occasion" because she could get seafood and I could get a decent steak. We felt the food quality went downhill, so we stopped going.

Earlier in our marriage, my wife and I used to go there anytime we had a "special occasion" because she could get seafood and I could get a decent steak. We felt the food quality went downhill, so we stopped going.
We went there after our bad experience at The Boathouse, so by comparison, it was better service. It is sort of loud in there, though.

Everybody's circumstances are different. I view tipping as a way of helping (or just being plain nice to someone). Anybody can have a bad night and you never know what someone is going through. I tip well, because I can. I don't worry about the %, not important. The person that delivers pizza to my house gets $20 regardless. Not easy getting pizza delivered in Studley. The restaurants that are adding the service charges are probably not consulting the waitstaff, so they have very little say I am sure. I deal with the consuming public on a daily basis. 98% of customers are nice, but it only takes one butt head to ruin your day/night. I should know, I use to be "that" person. One who felt entitled to the best service. If I can afford to go out to eat I certainly can afford to tip at a level that will make someone's day a bit brighter.

My server/ barback told me as she handed me my bill, I might have caught it, but she was clear about it and I heard this at another table with another server.

Back