Official Diamond Rams Baseball thread!

Yeah, we’ve been fairly stagnant on the National scene for sure. Baseball needed to be rebuilt and confidence was down after last year so this is a really good sign that we’re back on the upswing in baseball.
I think the jump from last season to this season is a good sign of things to come. It sure didn't take us long to bounce back after Stiffler left (while Notre Dame missed the tournament for the second straight year...sorry, but the grass ain't always greener).

I think the jump from last season to this season is a good sign of things to come. It sure didn't take us long to bounce back after Stiffler left (while Notre Dame missed the tournament for the second straight year...sorry, but the grass ain't always greener).
not to diminish our baseball team's accomplishment - BUT Stiffler getting lots more money to do what he loves coaching baseball
Notre Dame in a conference that normally gets 7-10 teams in the baseball dance each season and they have their own on campus nice baseball stadium with all the practice trappings big schools have - Stiffler did a GREAT job at VCU as did most of the baseball coaches that preceeded him

VCU in a single bid conference (except in some rare years) and is a subtenant in a stadium for the last 30 years with practice facilities cobbled together (but WE are the consistent Flagship of the a10 in most sports because we get good coaches and give a full cadre of scholarships and other benefits which sets us apart across the full program range ) Go Rams

unfortunately the grass is always greener for our coaches when they move to the Big 4 conferences and always will be

go rams

With the exception of the final four run, that has been the norm going back the 70's..60 years...we are who are...a very good mid major..
It’s not so much that. Even when we’re the favorites we tend to lay an absolute egg. The soccer program spectacularly lays eggs. Particularly at home. Baseball not as much but winning the first two games only to get leveled twice in a row the last few trips to the ncaa isn’t exactly a good way to go out. Basketball is pretty much anti clutch except Shaka (and a bit of Wade). I could go on as far as other programs but it’s just disappointing that we never take advantage of good opportunities even as the favorite.

I could go on as far as other programs but it’s just disappointing that we never take advantage of good opportunities even as the favorite.
I could not agree more. I've been disappointed I'm almost numb to it at this point.

But at least we have something to be disappointed about.

It’s not so much that. Even when we’re the favorites we tend to lay an absolute egg. The soccer program spectacularly lays eggs. Particularly at home. Baseball not as much but winning the first two games only to get leveled twice in a row the last few trips to the ncaa isn’t exactly a good way to go out. Basketball is pretty much anti clutch except Shaka (and a bit of Wade). I could go on as far as other programs but it’s just disappointing that we never take advantage of good opportunities even as the favorite.

Not sure what you expect for VCU baseball considering the horrible baseball conference they play in. The absolute best VCU is going to do regarding regional seeding in the NCAA Tournament is a #3 seed. No matter what success VCU has in OOC, they are going to get dragged down regarding RPI by A-10 conference play.

And let's not lose sight of who VCU beat this year - #13 NC State, Maryland, Boston College, Michigan State and #22 Wake Forest. VCU also went to a super regional in 2015.

Not sure what you expect for VCU baseball considering the horrible baseball conference they play in. The absolute best VCU is going to do regarding regional seeding in the NCAA Tournament is a #3 seed. No matter what success VCU has in OOC, they are going to get dragged down regarding RPI by A-10 conference play.

And let's not lose sight of who VCU beat this year - #13 NC State, Maryland, Boston College, Michigan State and #22 Wake Forest. VCU also went to a super regional in 2015.
Which is great and all but regardless of how good we are our programs tend to disappoint when the big moment comes. Our soccer team win lots of big games during the season even getting ranked highly and then lays a complete egg in the A10 tourney and even bigger in the NCAAs where they’ve hosted games and get train wrecked by a team 0-4 (Except this year they decided to full choke in the A10 title game at home.) Quite simply our programs have a habit of not being clutch no matter how good they are. It is what is. You’d expect our programs to atleast take advantage of some opportunities but quite simply outside of 2011 FF and 2015 super regional our programs tend to collapse when they have great opportunities. I mean basketball alone has some horrible chokes and full collapses.

What you do in conference means nothing if you don’t win when it comes. I guarantee you people here if we won the A10 reg season and tournament in basketball and then lay an egg first round people will not be happy. Why? Because that’s happened recently. We’re expected to do well in the A10. We have better resources than most schools and soon even better ones. The bar should be higher than simply winning the conference especially when you see programs like baseball pounding the conference mercilessly. We’ve shown we’re not completely overmatched at the NCAAs. We just completely crumble under pressure when the breakthrough is right there for the taking.

Which is great and all but regardless of how good we are our programs tend to disappoint when the big moment comes. Our soccer team win lots of big games during the season even getting ranked highly and then lays a complete egg in the A10 tourney and even bigger in the NCAAs where they’ve hosted games and get train wrecked by a team 0-4 (Except this year they decided to full choke in the A10 title game at home.) Quite simply our programs have a habit of not being clutch no matter how good they are. It is what is. You’d expect our programs to atleast take advantage of some opportunities but quite simply outside of 2011 FF and 2015 super regional our programs tend to collapse when they have great opportunities. I mean basketball alone has some horrible chokes and full collapses.

What you do in conference means nothing if you don’t win when it comes. I guarantee you people here if we won the A10 reg season and tournament in basketball and then lay an egg first round people will not be happy. Why? Because that’s happened recently. We’re expected to do well in the A10. We have better resources than most schools and soon even better ones. The bar should be higher than simply winning the conference especially when you see programs like baseball pounding the conference mercilessly. We’ve shown we’re not completely overmatched at the NCAAs. We just completely crumble under pressure when the breakthrough is right there for the taking.

I think you are being way too critical of some of VCU's non men's basketball programs. Programs like baseball take the hit conference wise so that the men's basketball program can play in a "basketball" conference at the level of the A-10. The A-10 is probably the weakest baseball conference VCU has been in since the pre Sun Belt Conference days. Being in a conference like the A-10 for non basketball sports is tough. It's extremely tough on recruiting, the facilities aren't even close to any P4 baseball program out there and you have to grab every quality OOC opponent you can find in order to try to offset the A-10 schedule - and the A-10 still is a one bid league at the end of the day. If VCU doesn't obliterate every opponent in the A-10 baseball tournament, they end up as a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Regarding other state schools, JMU, fodu and Liberty are all in much better baseball conferences than VCU. Add in UVA and VA Tech and VCU might be the 6th best attraction recruiting wise in the state. And all of those schools have dedicated on campus stadiums - something VCU does not have.

In terms of other non revenue sports, VCU men's and women's tennis and golf regularly win A-10 championships for a reason. The A-10 is also terribly weak in those sports. VCU will ALWAYS be a men's basketball first school and the rest of VCU's sports will ALWAYS have to make the best of where the men's basketball team lands them conference wise.

I think you are being way too critical of some of VCU's non men's basketball programs. Programs like baseball take the hit conference wise so that the men's basketball program can play in a "basketball" conference at the level of the A-10. The A-10 is probably the weakest baseball conference VCU has been in since the pre Sun Belt Conference days. Being in a conference like the A-10 for non basketball sports is tough. It's extremely tough on recruiting, the facilities aren't even close to any P4 baseball program out there and you have to grab every quality OOC opponent you can find in order to try to offset the A-10 schedule - and the A-10 still is a one bid league at the end of the day. If VCU doesn't obliterate every opponent in the A-10 baseball tournament, they end up as a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Regarding other state schools, JMU, fodu and Liberty are all in much better baseball conferences than VCU. Add in UVA and VA Tech and VCU might be the 6th best attraction recruiting wise in the state. And all of those schools have dedicated on campus stadiums - something VCU does not have.

In terms of other non revenue sports, VCU men's and women's tennis and golf regularly win A-10 championships for a reason. The A-10 is also terribly weak in those sports. VCU will ALWAYS be a men's basketball first school and the rest of VCU's sports will ALWAYS have to make the best of where the men's basketball team lands them conference wise.
Well our men’s b ball doesn’t have much to brag about at the national level either. In fact given its resources without the final four it has very little to brag about despite getting the majority of the resources. I would say it’s one of the underperforming programs if I was to take the gloves off. If there’s any program that should be atleast winning an ncaa it’s that one. But instead it’s choked away first round games, gotten blown out, and choked away a sweet 16. As you say VCU is only in the A10 for basketball yet our basketball program has an awful A10 final record and has won the reg season a few times and can’t win a NCAA game in like a decade. That still doesn’t take away from other programs not taking advantage of great opportunities though. Resources or not we’ve had great teams who put themselves in spots for national spotlight and they pretty much never take capitalize. Basketball included. heck look at the team a few years ago. All those players doing well at the P5 some even true stars for their teams. That same team together got trounced. It’s like Duncan said it is what it is. I guess atleast for the non b ball sports they atleast perform to what is expected unlike basketball.

Last edited:
6/6/24

Baseball (NCAA Tourney as A-10 member):

Beat #1 Dallas Baptist in Dallas (2015)
Beat #2 Oregon St in Dallas (2015)
Beat #1 Dallas Baptist in Dallas ((2015)
Beat #3 Campbell in Starkville (2021)
Beat #2 Georgia in Chapel Hill (2022)
Beat #1 UNC in Chapel Hill (2022)
Beat #2 Wake Forest in Greenville (2024)

Super Regional (as a 4 seed) - 2015 (Coral Gables)

Plowed thru the A-10 Tourney undefeated 2015 (Arlington), 2021 (Diamond), 2022 (Davidson), 2024 (Tysons Corner).

I was at (nearly) all of them. They were clutch! Those who follow the program closely and understand the college baseball landscape “get it.”

Last edited:

Generally true but was a #2 seed in Starkville (2021).

Back