Old timers, has VCU ever made it to Omaha?

The closest I remember them coming was one game away. Don't remember the exact year but at that time 48 teams made the tourney and there were 8 six team regionals to decide who went to Omaha.

VCU was a 6 seed and lost their 1st game to top seeded Texas. The Rams then won 4 straight elimination games to put it down to them and Texas. VCU needed to beat Texas twice. The Rams won the 1st game but got beat in the 2nd and finished 1 game short.

I'm a bandwagon VCU fan, admitting that I became engaged when the Rams played the opening rounds in Chicago and I watched both games with my son (that's him in the picture) in amazement of the school's spirit and basketball ferocity as the team ended up in the Final Four. It was great then and after, and I'm sure it truly blows to lose the coach that sheparded all of that. (I also loved the handwalking cheerleader.) I posted during that run and thereafter a bit on the basketball board here.

That all said, I'm a native Omahan and I gotta tell ya, I hope like heck VCU finds its way there next weekend. Your fans would have a dang blast at the event, a week-long bar fest with no driving. Your fans would be a hit in Omaha - and trust me, folks there cannot stand Texas either.

I'm a bandwagon VCU fan, admitting that I became engaged when the Rams played the opening rounds in Chicago and I watched both games with my son (that's him in the picture) in amazement of the school's spirit and basketball ferocity as the team ended up in the Final Four. It was great then and after, and I'm sure it truly blows to lose the coach that sheparded all of that. (I also loved the handwalking cheerleader.) I posted during that run and thereafter a bit on the basketball board here.

That all said, I'm a native Omahan and I gotta tell ya, I hope like heck VCU finds its way there next weekend. Your fans would have a dang blast at the event, a week-long bar fest with no driving. Your fans would be a hit in Omaha - and trust me, folks there cannot stand Texas either.

Always nice to see you, Mel.....getting to Omaha would be INCREDIBLE!!! Miami first!!!!

The closest I remember them coming was one game away. Don't remember the exact year but at that time 48 teams made the tourney and there were 8 six team regionals to decide who went to Omaha.

VCU was a 6 seed and lost their 1st game to top seeded Texas. The Rams then won 4 straight elimination games to put it down to them and Texas. VCU needed to beat Texas twice. The Rams won the 1st game but got beat in the 2nd and finished 1 game short.

Back