Ongoing Recruitng

As I understand it, we still have one scholly to give out for this upcoming 09-10 season. I've been reading the boards recently and it isn't hard to see that everyone and their brother is all about getting GJ Vilarino to sign. Now maybe I'm blind to the facts, but in my eyes, I see a need for a versatile PF or even a SF to compliment our guards, more so than the need for another PG. I understand that having a backcourt run by freshman at the point is not what any team is looking for, but I think the high quality of our two PGs coming in this Fall, will be plenty to suffice our needs.

I originally thought that Eblen would experience growing pains early on in the season, but things would pan out as they always do as the season progresses. But now, I'm more confident in Darius Theus being the go to guy at the beginning of the season. Having never seen either play a single minute in person, Theus looks to be the better of the two (and ESPN's rankings agree with me). And of course I understand that it is much too early to be judging players prior to even seeing them step on the SC court.

Now back to my original thoughts. Does anyone out there in Ram Nation agree that we should be pursuing the likes of a DeShawn Painter, or even a transfer like Alex Tyus? Both players have deep Florida connections...you know, like we do. DeShawn Painter, from Norfolk, originally committed to UF and is now looking for a suitor. If you look at the list of schools he's considering, he's obviously trying to stay near home. Any chance Shaka still has any connection with Painter? This post has gone on much too long. Just wanted to get another opinion from the brains out there.

Smart is big believer in recruiting 4 year players and building the program "the right way". I doubt you'll see many, if any, JUCOs or transfers while he is here. Painter won't come to VCU, he's got much bigger schools after him at this point. If he wants to stay close to home, he'd go to ODU. They still have a scholarship to give I believe.

BA 4 the trey said:
As I understand it, we still have one scholly to give out for this upcoming 09-10 season. I've been reading the boards recently and it isn't hard to see that everyone and their brother is all about getting GJ Vilarino to sign. Now maybe I'm blind to the facts, but in my eyes, I see a need for a versatile PF or even a SF to compliment our guards, more so than the need for another PG. I understand that having a backcourt run by freshman at the point is not what any team is looking for, but I think the high quality of our two PGs coming in this Fall, will be plenty to suffice our needs.

I originally thought that Eblen would experience growing pains early on in the season, but things would pan out as they always do as the season progresses. But now, I'm more confident in Darius Theus being the go to guy at the beginning of the season. Having never seen either play a single minute in person, Theus looks to be the better of the two (and ESPN's rankings agree with me). And of course I understand that it is much too early to be judging players prior to even seeing them step on the SC court.

Now back to my original thoughts. Does anyone out there in Ram Nation agree that we should be pursuing the likes of a DeShawn Painter, or even a transfer like Alex Tyus? Both players have deep Florida connections...you know, like we do. DeShawn Painter, from Norfolk, originally committed to UF and is now looking for a suitor. If you look at the list of schools he's considering, he's obviously trying to stay near home. Any chance Shaka still has any connection with Painter? This post has gone on much too long. Just wanted to get another opinion from the brains out there.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments! So long as Theus signs and Eblen stays committed, I would much rather pursue a PF with our remaining scholarship. Let's face it, if Sanders continues to improve, there's a chance he won't be back for his senior year. In addition, this is KP's final year. I would want a strong second year PF/C starting along side Skeen in '10/'11.

We had a thread on 2010 recruiting that discussed this very issue, but what the heck, I'll repost some of the prospects that we have been looking at that I think can help us.

Here are some prospects that I think we can get and would help us a ton.

Kadeem Green
KADEEMGREEN3_24150.JPG

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77553&Sport=2

He is a 3 star and the 103rd overall player in the Rivals 150, 26th ranked PF for the class of 2010. He's a Toronto transplant that I am familiar with and has a high skill level. Needs to bulk up for the college game, which could be said for most big men at this stage.

Papa Samba Ndao
041D6ALA003_1.jpg

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76050&Sport=2

He is also a 3 star and the 118th ranked recruit in the Rivals150. He's the 31st PF for the 2010 class. He plays at Monteverde Academy (Franck Ndongo's alma mater) from Senegal, and was being recruited by Tony Pujol when he was here. He also is rail-thin, but has upside through the roof.

Tylisman Armstrong
TYARMSTRONG6_30150.JPG

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=84219&Sport=2
Ty plays for Florida Air Academy (along with VCU commit Ben Eblen), and is more physically mature than the other 2. He is listed as the 10th ranked center in the 2010 class and 136th ranked player in the Rivals 150. We are recruiting him hard and you gotta think he'd like to play with Eblen at VCU.

Jon Horford
447521m.jpg

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=75287&Sport=2
Jon Horford is the younger brother of Florida Gator and current Atlanta Hawk Al Horford. He is still growing at 6'9 and we had an in with him as Grant recruited Al to Florida and has a very strong relationship with him. Hopefully our staff has jumped on him and is still recruiting him. He could be a very nice pick-up for the Rams. A lot of Big 10 schools are starting to notice him now.

Rambler said:
I'd take my chances with Ty Armstrong from that list!

DB, great work as always. And as always, it's much appreciated. From the numbers, I agree with Rambler. Ty Armstrong looks to be a perfect fit and as long as Ben stays committed to VCU, and Larry stays for 4, I like our chances at getting him unless he explodes this summer. We could be very, very dangerous next year with another high IQ, 6-8, 225 pounder to compliment Larry. As of now, how many scholarships will we be handing out this time next season?

districtballer said:
We should have two scholarships (KP's and Gwynn's) available next year.

although, we should recruit like we're going to have 3... Everyone I've talked to in the AD thinks the chances of Larry jumping for the NBA after next year are much more likely than the chance of him returning for his senior year.

xjohnx said:
districtballer said:
We should have two scholarships (KP's and Gwynn's) available next year.

although, we should recruit like we're going to have 3... Everyone I've talked to in the AD thinks the chances of Larry jumping for the NBA after next year are much more likely than the chance of him returning for his senior year.

I agree with that statement completely. As delusional as other school's fans think we are about Sanders, his NBA appeal is undeniable. His lack of experience at this point is what's keeping him in the college ranks, but if he progresses as much as he did last year this offseason, he'll have shown enough to be drafted on potential alone. It's part of the reason Larry decided to stay, he knows he's on the NBA radar regardless and sitting out a year somewhere else only hurts his stock.

Guess we're gonna have to bump this up 'cause of Eblen.
I was looking for some info on PG's (JUCO and otherwise) and saw that Grant brought in a JUCO kid named Anthony Brock (JUCO All-American)...just wanted to pass that on as well. I would prefer a 4 year starter as well, but can't leave any stone unturned.

C'mon GJ!!!!

SPELL CHECK!! At least in Subjects! :lol: BA4, good stuff, but c'mon man! ;) Killing me! :lol:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
SPELL CHECK!! At least in Subjects! :lol: BA4, good stuff, but c'mon man! ;) Killing me! :lol:
I hang my head in shame. My apologies as I am usually one that's quick to jump on people for dumb grammatical/spelling errors. Wont happen again BaNg, lol

Back