OT- Tom Pecora leaving Hofstra...

I assume you mean Bozeman? I guess that makes sense in a way. Perhaps it's similar to when Matt Brady left Marist for JMU. He certainly looks like he's bringing JMU back to basketball relevance and they just might be a CAA title contender next year with Devon Moore back and a senior Denzel Bowles.

Hope Hofstra doesn't screw up the hire and turn into the next UNCW without the CAA titles

Another side note (serious one this time):

Pecora is one of the few coaches in the CAA that I truly see as being a part of that school's makeup.

You've got the slicked back northern accent, smooth-talking New Yorker Pecora at Hofstra.

You've got the anger-mangement, curses too much, but still strangely loveable Bruiser at Drexel.

The obnoxious just-for-men blowhard who finally got over the hump Blainiac at ODU.

I guess I'll include the public image Grandpa figure/supposedly behind the scenes hardass jerk Coach L at Mason.

After that, none of the programs have a coach who is really part of what I see as the team's long term identity (other than "insert young rising star here" at VCU)

Sorry, but to me this is a step down. My first thought was- "Why?" Then I started to think about the situation at HU and wondered if maybe the commitment to basketball is about to drop there? If I recall, they just dropped Football, right? Maybe Tom just saw the handwriting on the wall.

HU to the America East?

I think that Hofstra was on the brink of having a big season next year. With Northeasten and William and Mary probably falling off some, Hofstra could have been a top 4 team. Theyve got a lot of young talent and are returning the best player in the league. If I was him I would have definitely stuck it one at least one more year.

What if Grant had left for Florida at the end of 08? Im glad we dont have to imagine that.

fmrick said:
Sorry, but to me this is a step down. My first thought was- "Why?" Then I started to think about the situation at HU and wondered if maybe the commitment to basketball is about to drop there? If I recall, they just dropped Football, right? Maybe Tom just saw the handwriting on the wall.

HU to the America East?

I think you might be right. No more football and they'll have a much better chance of success in basketball (while spending less) in the AE.

A big, unmatched salary step up and some other perks can make a worse situation more appealing. I wonder if he will be able to live closer to home or shorten commute.

sadly it is a step up should it happen....I think the handwriting may be on the wall for HU sports in general...seems their president isnt a big sports fan...if TP leaves i dont think it bodes too well for the HU pride...hope i am wrong and the preceding was an opinion

Pavarotti said:
That's Dick "Hoops" Weiss, legendary NYC sportswriter. He used to be THE guy to get basketball scoop in NYC - pro, college and HS.

He's lost a few mph on his curveball with the rise of the internet and blogs, and HATES being scooped by anyone, so he comes up with these stories that are usually a day late and a dollar short, and they're usually the same theme "My sources within the University say it's not a done deal." However, most of the sources out there these days aren'tr "within the university" they're coaches and their middlemen and friends.

Guys like Katz, Goodman, Seth Davis are all more in the know than Weiss ever thought they'd be, and he resents it.

Mercury said:
Hope Hofstra doesn't screw up the hire and turn into the next UNCW without the CAA titles

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
What Titles do they now have to do without :?:

Come on E, he was pointing out that unlike UNCW, Hofstra wouldn't have won a bunch of titles in a period of time prior to heading down the toilet like the UNCW program has....

a little grumbling of maybe St. John's going after Northeastern Bill Coen which would be a smart move for the Johnnies, but hurt the CAA potentially.

Back