Overall impressions from this first look?

Ed might not be able to finish, but if can constantly draw fouls and make his free throws don't see how his minutes go down. While he missed a couple his three stroke looks better and coach obviously trust him enough to let him shoot as many as he did.

If he looks for the pass now and then on those tough fast break finishers his value will rise significantly. Keep it up Ed.

vcubanana said:
If he looks for the pass now and then on those tough fast break finishers his value will rise significantly. Keep it up Ed.

That and he finally appears to be able to dribble with his head up

ramramthankyoumaam said:
I bet Ed starts finishing before it is all said and done (hopefully sooner rather than later). Smart seems really impressed with ED calling him the "poster child for what we are trying to do here". With comments like that from the Head Coach its hard to imagine Ed riding the pine anytime soon.

If he can't finish against a D2 school, how is he going to finish against a D1 school other than Bethune Cookman? With the depth of our bench this year, I just don't see where Nixon is going to get his playing time once Skeen and Saintil are eligible. We are loaded at the 2 guard. Nixon right now would be third string at best behind Rozzell and Gavin. That's not even factoring in Daniels or Theus if Theus plays any at the 2 guard spot. If you go small and play him at the 3 spot, he's once again third string behind Burgess and Gwynn. The point guard position and the 4 spot are not options. You have Joey and Theus at the point. I would not be surprised if Grayson red shirts. At the 4 spot you have Kirill, Skeen, Saintil and Hinton.

I just see Nixon as the odd man out on this team if he can't drive to the basket and finish. I just don't see what everyone else sees in him. He now a junior and I just don't see the improvement.

Wolfpack Ram said:
If he can't finish against a D2 school, how is he going to finish against a D1 school other than Bethune Cookman? With the depth of our bench this year, I just don't see where Nixon is going to get his playing time once Skeen and Saintil are eligible. We are loaded at the 2 guard. Nixon right now would be third string at best behind Rozzell and Gavin. That's not even factoring in Daniels or Theus if Theus plays any at the 2 guard spot. If you go small and play him at the 3 spot, he's once again third string behind Burgess and Gwynn. The point guard position and the 4 spot are not options. You have Joey and Theus at the point. I would not be surprised if Grayson red shirts. At the 4 spot you have Kirill, Skeen, Saintil and Hinton.

I just see Nixon as the odd man out on this team if he can't drive to the basket and finish. I just don't see what everyone else sees in him. He now a junior and I just don't see the improvement.
One game in, let's give him a little break. For the most part i think Shaka let em free last night to see what they would do. I don't completely disagree with your statement, but give him time.

Ed to me is at the tipping point...its only a matter of time. The question is how much time will it take? Regardless when it happens, it will happen BIG.

Rambunctious said:
It was very sloppy in the 2nd half though...my only criticism.
agreed...but when you have 2 pg's, 2 sg's and kirill in the game together it is going to get a little sloopy.

Wolfpack Ram said:
ramramthankyoumaam said:
I bet Ed starts finishing before it is all said and done (hopefully sooner rather than later). Smart seems really impressed with ED calling him the "poster child for what we are trying to do here". With comments like that from the Head Coach its hard to imagine Ed riding the pine anytime soon.

All the reports in practice say Ed is getting better at finishing...he is practicing probably against the first team so he apparently can finish against a D1 school. Over the feed it looked like his issues have nothing to do with the talent level of the opponent but more so the angles etc

Smart called Nixon the poster child for what we are trying to do...I don't see his minutes going down

DCRAM said:
Ed to me is at the tipping point...its only a matter of time. The question is how much time will it take? Regardless when it happens, it will happen BIG.

Nixon is now a junior. How much more time are people going to give him? Posters on these boards were predicting that he would break out last year at this time. Who is he going to take minutes away from on this team? Rozzell, Gavin, Burgess, Gwynn? Where are the minutes going to come from? He can only play two positions and the players listed above are going to get the bulk of the playing time, particularly after Skeen is eligible and Saintil is healthy and Gwynn is not used at the 4 spot.

Nixon reminds me of Alexander Harper. A lot of hype and hope from the fans, but never materializes.

Wolfpack Ram said:
DCRAM said:

Nixon is now a junior. How much more time are people going to give him? Posters on these boards were predicting that he would break out last year at this time. Who is he going to take minutes away from on this team? Rozzell, Gavin, Burgess, Gwynn? Where are the minutes going to come from? He can only play two positions and the players listed above are going to get the bulk of the playing time, particularly after Skeen is eligible and Saintil is healthy and Gwynn is not used at the 4 spot.

Nixon reminds me of Alexander Harper. A lot of hype and hope from the fans, but never materializes.

More time than one game. He put up 8 points, 3 assists, and a steal. In the end about as productive as Burgess in an equivalent amount of minutes. If you want to base the rest of the season on last nights game (which I don't) then you give him Gavin's minutes who went 2/9 shooting and put up only 4 points. If 2 of Ed's rim rollers from last night would have (and easily could have)dropped, we'd be having a completely different discussion right now. I'm not ready to bench anybody now, I kind of liked the varying mix of player combinations Shaka threw at VUU last night, I think it definately contributed to the havoc. If Ed is half as tenacious on the court as you have been regarding your posts against him, he'll do fine. :D

Very impressed with the conditioning of the team as well as the pace of the game.

The defense was tight with few fouls. (16 total team fouls)

TJ, Larry, Joey and Brandon had solid games.

Gavin not impressive, offensively or defensively. I assume he must be killing in practice otherwise he wouldn't be starting. Hopefully it will transition to the actual game.

Ed....even though he is not finishing he is at least drawing the foul and getting to the line, however his defense will get him minutes. :lol:

The way Nixon defends in the press will get him court time

ramtastic83 said:
did gavin look out of conditioning to anyone else?

Just looked rusty to me. Jay is going to be fine after he gets back into the groove. Once he gets his stroke going, I'll be interested to see how many teams try to play zone against us. He is just one of 4-5 guys who will be killing zones all year! Oh yea, and when they do miss we'll have Larry and Co. crushing the boards for easy baskets. Havoc baby! Havoc!

Back